• Survey Reveals that 20% of iPhone Users Prefer a 4-inch Handset

A recent survey of US smartphone users has revealed that roughly 20% of consumers prefer a smaller handset in the 4-inch range as opposed to the current-sized models. This potentially signals the market size for a refreshed entry-level iPhone from Apple. Responding to the recent rumors suggesting Apple is working on a revamped 4-inch handset, the investment firm Piper Jaffray polled 1,077 US consumers to find out what their preferred screen size was. Of those who surveyed, roughly 20.3% said they would prefer a 4-inch handset, which for those of you who didn’t know is the size of the Apple’s current iPhone 5s.

The larger screened offerings proved to be more popular in the poll with 31.2% saying that Apple’s 4.7-inch form factor found in the iPhone 6s is ideal while 27.2% said they prefer the larger 5.5-inch size of the iPhone 6s Plus. The remaining 21.2% said they would prefer a different screen size outside of 4, 4.7 and 5.5 inches. Gene Munster feels that the poll suggests that a new 4-inch iPhone won’t have a major effect on Apple’s sales. He predicts that most consumers will find that they prefer the larger screen sizes once they become accustomed to them. Munster wrote the following regarding the matter:

We believe that part of the reason that over 20% of smartphone users still say they prefer a 4" screen size is they still have older model iPhones. When they upgrade to a 4.7" screen with an only slightly bigger footprint in the pocket, we expect those users would be converts to the larger screen size.
    Munster continued by predicting that a new 4-inch iPhone would be Apple’s low-end model that is priced at $450 off-contract. It would be something that would replace the outgoing iPhone 5s at the same size and price. He expected the so-called “iPhone 6c” will feature Touch ID and Apple Pay but won’t tout 3D Touch input. By recycling old components that are found in previous-generation iPhone models, Munster believes the company might be able to maintain its current high margins on a new iPhone model.

Most of these analyst predictions were aligned with current rumors sans the timing. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes that Apple could launch its new 4-inch iPhone in early 2016 but Munster believes that the company wouldn’t launch a new handset so soon.

We’ll have to wait and see if the Cupertino California company does end up going this route by being patient.

Source: Piper Jaffray via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Survey Reveals that 20% of iPhone Users Prefer a 4-inch Handset started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      Eonhpi -
      im one but wont get a cheap version of it
      Silverado1987 -
      Isn't 20% not that great
      hogcia -
      Android has hundreds of phones, I think it's a good idea for Apple to give their customers more choices. I for one love my iPhone 6s Plus and will never look back.
      mrwalleyeman -
      When only 1077 people are surveyed no 20% is not a lot. That means only about 215 people said they preferred the smaller 4 inch screen. To get more accurate results they would need to survey more people.
      cyberjunkyfreak -
      well now that they've got 3D touch, i'd like to see them get rid of the home button and make the screen go edge to edge. i'd be on board for that!
      RyoSaeba -
      In other words, 20% of the 1077 people have really small hands.

IMO, this sentence is totally true: "most consumers will find that they prefer the larger screen sizes once they become accustomed to them."

And no, not just playing around with one in the store. Use it for 2 weeks and most will come to love the larger screen. Of course not all will but most.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkyfreak View Post
      well now that they've got 3D touch, i'd like to see them get rid of the home button and make the screen go edge to edge. i'd be on board for that!
      Never will happen. The home button is IMO consider iconic. And it serves as the fingerprint scanner. And I use it 99% of the time to wake up and unlock my phone.
      fleurya -
      Even after a year with the 6 I would definitely be in that group, but I don't want to take a huge cut in performance to get the form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwalleyeman View Post
      When only 1077 people are surveyed no 20% is not a lot. That means only about 215 people said they preferred the smaller 4 inch screen. To get more accurate results they would need to survey more people.
      Oops, someone failed STAT class!
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by mrwalleyeman View Post
      nope its a valid study,

Glad they did it because I agree bigger is not better for everyone.
      ThunderMasterMind -
      Dang it... Now I'm at a dilemma on a new phone. I really like the small size, but I want 3D touch at the same time. 😫
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ThunderMasterMind View Post
      Dang it... Now I'm at a dilemma on a new phone. I really like the small size, but I want 3D touch at the same time. [emoji31]
      I have 6s+. Never use 3D Touch.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook