• Target Developing Own Mobile Wallet to Launch Next Year

Reuters has reported that the fourth largest U.S. retailer, Target, is developing their own wireless payment service and could launch as early as 2016. They noted that Target is looking to use the QR code system as opposed to the NFC payment system. This means that customers will be able to just scan a code when checking out, just like the way Walmart Pay works. Walmart Pay also launched just last week.

Target is apparently looking to add the wireless payment system into their current app on Android and iOS platforms. It was noted that eventually, credit cards will be able to be directly linked for payments and customers with Red store cards will most likely be able to be linked as well at some point. The retail company currently supports Apple Pay in their app, so weíre not sure how this will affect Apple once they release their own payment service.

As for stores, Target is part of the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), which is developing payment system CurrentC. Would you use Targetís mobile wallet once launched? Share with us in the section below.

Source: Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Target Developing Own Mobile Wallet to Launch Next Year started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      Clem-Clone -
      "Target is looking to use the QR code system as opposed to the NFC payment system"
      <slaps- forehead>
      So, lesseee.
      1. Pull out your phone.
      2. Unlock it.
      3. search for QR/barcode or Target app.
      4. launch it. wait.
      5. position phone and camera over QR code.
      6. wait till app reads QR code.
      7. Transaction complete?

This is great app/smartphone usage??
      Carvensno -
      Easier to just pull out my Target card and stick it in the card reader and BOOM I'm done! Lol

Plus why make their own payment system? They have their own card payment system. Why make another way?
      Purple Minion -
      I'm sure this will go over like a balloon made of lead.

THUD!
      crispyj -
      Let me see if I can get this straight. The retailer that is responsible for one of the largest retail store data breaches would like for me to utilize a wallet system they they are developing and managing. No thanks!!
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by crispyj View Post
      Let me see if I can get this straight. The retailer that is responsible for one of the largest retail store data breaches would like for me to utilize a wallet system they they are developing and managing. No thanks!!
      Wow!

I don't shop at Target much, so I'd forgotten about that. I did remember it when they offered me their REDcard, which required that I directly link my bank account in order to save a measly 5%.

No thanks—I'd rather not be a target for thieves.
      hogcia -
      Wish all retailers would just use one universal app for mobile payments![emoji35]️.... Apple Pay works great.
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Wish all retailers would just use one universal app for mobile payments![emoji35]️.... Apple Pay works great.
      For you, Apple Pay works great. For them, it costs money and doesn't collect information they want to use to increase their sales.
      szr -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      The question is should such a system be in control of one single handset/system maker, rather than a trusted independent entity (perhaps along the lines of PayPal or so) that can exist on any platform with the right hardware?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook