• Starting January 8th, AT&T Will No Longer Offer Two-Year Contracts & Subsidized Pricing

It would appear that starting on January 8th, 2016, AT&T has plans to drop its subsidized two-year contract option for new subscribers, making it so that subscribers will only have the option of choosing the AT&T Next lease plan for their smartphones, or will have to buy their smartphones outright for the full retail price and pay monthly for a phone bill.

First shared by Engadget on Wednesday, these internal memos show information about the upcoming changes.

The push shows that AT&T is trying to transition as many customers as possible to the AT&T Next plan, as this will be the cheapest option for customers when all is said and done. Those already signed up with two-year contacts will be able to continue with their current billing, but all future phone purchases will have to be made in full and brought to AT&T, or bought for the full retain price from within an AT&T store/online. It will not be possible to sign another contract afterwards.

AT&T will begin training employees for the new changes on January 4th so that they're ready to apply the changes going forward starting January 8th.

Source: Engadget
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Starting January 8th, AT&T Will No Longer Offer Two-Year Contracts & Subsidized Pricing started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
      steve-z17 -
      I was wondering when this would happen, I like the Next Plan and have been using it for awhile now to upgrade since it's the cheapest.
      CabooseLoL -
      Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I don't like paying full price for a phone. Also, I don't want to loose my unlimited data by switching to the Next Plan.
      MOJO5873 -
      I could be wrong, but the way I see it, you will be paying a lot more for the phone over time than paying full price
      Sniper488 -
      Buy your phone outright, unlock it and sell it when new one comes out, you'll be better off...
      miketurbo123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      I was wondering when this would happen, I like the Next Plan and have been using it for awhile now to upgrade since it's the cheapest.
      It's not the cheapest. It's a scam to believe that you are saving money. Next ends up costing the same as buying a phone unlocked if you keep it for two years. It's more of a financing option.
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by miketurbo123 View Post
      It's not the cheapest. It's a scam to believe that you are saving money. Next ends up costing the same as buying a phone unlocked if you keep it for two years. It's more of a financing option.
      If you have unlimited data still you are correct. All the new plans lower the service costs to basically pay for the phone. It's not like you pay your normal bill plus $27 a month for your phone.
      quidam_brujah -
      Well, there goes the resale market for iPhones... or maybe not... if all of the US carriers start to offer a 'Next'-like program (trade in device to upgrade to new device) and they keep the 'used' devices (what are they going to do with everything traded in?) prices inflated... that might make buying and selling later even better... for those with the cash to buy outright.
      Evaded -
      Quote Originally Posted by CabooseLoL View Post
      Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I don't like paying full price for a phone. Also, I don't want to loose my unlimited data by switching to the Next Plan.
      You don't lose your unlimited data by using next.
      Evaded -
      Quote Originally Posted by MOJO5873 View Post
      I could be wrong, but the way I see it, you will be paying a lot more for the phone over time than paying full price
      You pay more for the phone, but less for the plan if on a new Mobile Share plan. It works itself out in the long run.
      Evaded -
      Not true, if you are on a new mobile share plan it breaks even. If you are on the old 700 minute plan and do next, then you are correct. The only ones paying more are ones that stick with an old plan. So in other words...if you have unlimited data, you'll pay for it.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
      Not true, if you are on a new mobile share plan it breaks even. If you are on the old 700 minute plan and do next, then you are correct. The only ones paying more are ones that stick with an old plan. So in other words...if you have unlimited data, you'll pay for it.
      Damn they really thought of everything didn't they.
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
      You don't lose your unlimited data by using next.
      Correct, but if you upgrade without buying the phone unlocked, you'll lose it
      crslaeme -
      I had to relinquish my upgrades for more data fml lol
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by MOJO5873 View Post
      Uh no, Back when next began it was cheaper to go with next, for instance: Traditional plan $40 per Iphone smart phone charge,
      Next plan $15 per Iphone smartphone charge.
      average cost for 64gb Iphone 6s was 31.25 a month on next for 2 years 31.25 month ($750 you pay for phone) Apple store price $749, now old way 40 dollars month with 2 year contract, you pay $25 more a month than someone buying the phone on next so the real cost of contracts is 25 X24 months 600 dollars plus the up front 299 for a 64gb iphone 6s so next you pay $750 for the phone and contract you are paying $899.

People will try to argue this but the math is there.

Next iphone 6s 64gb
      mobile share
      15 dollars per month per phone charge
      31.25 a month to buy phone 24 months
      0 down 0% interest

Contract iphone 6s
      mobile share
      40 dollars per month per phone charge until after 24 months or longer with another upgrade
      299 down
      Evaded -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Uh no, Back when next began it was cheaper to go with next, for instance: Traditional plan $40 per Iphone smart phone charge,
      Next plan $15 per Iphone smartphone charge.
      average cost for 64gb Iphone 6s was 31.25 a month on next for 2 years 31.25 month ($750 you pay for phone) Apple store price $749, now old way 40 dollars month with 2 year contract, you pay $25 more a month than someone buying the phone on next so the real cost of contracts is 25 X24 months 600 dollars plus the up front 299 for a 64gb iphone 6s so next you pay $750 for the phone and contract you are paying $899.

People will try to argue this but the math is there.

Next iphone 6s 64gb
      mobile share
      15 dollars per month per phone charge
      31.25 a month to buy phone 24 months
      0 down 0% interest

Contract iphone 6s
      mobile share
      40 dollars per month per phone charge until after 24 months or longer with another upgrade
      299 down
      100% correct! I do this 40+ hours a week lol
      Al226 -
      So…why not just buy it on eBay for around $600 and save some money? Sure, you will have to be very vigilant and alert and probably be refreshing eBay all day long for that one deal, but it's worth it. A month after the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out I bought around 25 iPhones on eBay using the hawk and refresh method (Buy it Now, NEVER bidding) lol and sold them on Swappa, made easy money there.

Of course, you can't just buy whatever pops up, lots of scammers on eBay, but it's easy to spot them. I'm currently using an iPhone 6 64GB (jailbroken of course, otherwise it's garbage) that I bought on eBay for $410 about a month after it was released. Why was it at that price? Because some kid received it as a gift from a family member but it turns out the kid actually prefers Android, and so to avoid the whole bidding and time wasted, he just sold it cheap (it didn't cost him anything anyways) and I purchased it. It was actually still unopened and obviously not activated when I received it, so no chance of blacklisting it. And my old 5S? Sold it for $400 with box and all.
      steve-z17 -
      So yeah, like others and I have said Next is cheaper. I always keep my phone for the full two years, get it unlocked then sell it for around $350 and get a new one. Two-year contract is more.
      Tario70 -
      A 2 year contract is only more if, like me, you have unlimited data.

This sucks.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
      A 2 year contract is only more if, like me, you have unlimited data.

This sucks.
      I understand now. Which is now why they want you to switch to their mobile share plans. I'm here too with unlimited.
      miztahsparklez -
      I get contract pricing every year. What I sell my old phone for is almost what I buy the new one under contract pricing. This sucks.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook