• Man's iPhone 6 Plus Reportedly Catches on Fire While Charging

An Atlanta man named David Grimsley reportedly had his iPhone 6 Plus catch on fire overnight while it was in the middle of being charged.

The iPhone was on his bed, in easy reach, when suddenly he was awoken by the sound of a smoke alarm. Grimsley is said to have pushed the iPhone off his bed quickly enough to prevent sparks from starting a fire, and when it landed on the carpet beside his bed, he continued to push the iPhone until it was on a harder floor where the spark show would eventually end.

Grimsley contacted Apple after the event occurred, Fox News reports, but Apple apparently didn't seem very sympathetic about what had just happened, and instead only offered to replace the iPhone for him. Although Grimsley accepted the replacement device, he's now skeptical of such a problem re-occurring.

"The whole apartment could have burned down," said Grimsley. "I thought they'd be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged."

Apple reportedly hasn't responded to Fox News just yet due to holiday leave.

Again, this serves as an important lesson on how lithium-ion batteries can sometimes be dangerous when met with manufacturer defect or lack of user care. Although it's a relatively stable battery platform, this is one in many instances where the batteries have become unstable.

Source: Fox News
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Man's iPhone 6 Plus Reportedly Catches on Fire While Charging started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
      crslaeme -
      Maybe he should've buy Verizon wall charger once your phone reaches 100%. Charger turns off 29.99 I love it
      flash66 -
      A proper charge should trickle at 100% not shut off.
      rolandgabor -
      Quote Originally Posted by crslaeme View Post
      Maybe he should've buy Verizon wall charger once your phone reaches 100%. Charger turns off 29.99 I love it
      Or just download battery doctor which will do the same for free.
      amoamare -
      People need to stop buying cheap Chinese wall chargers, including Verizon's. They are not certified by Apple, time and time again these knock offs / third party wall/car chargers have been proven to be built with little to no care. If you can't afford a new replacement, find a used one or save up the money. That goes for any device, stop using third party chargers / batteries etc.
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      The phone automatically stops charging when the phone reaches 100% already
      Oniszczak -
      Perhaps if Apple didn't overcharge so much on their chargers (pun intended) users wouldn't feel the need to buy the inexpensive ones.
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
      Or just download battery doctor which will do the same for free.
      You guys do realize that Apple probably thought of what is best method for charging. Your battery will not overcharge even if you leave it on the charger for a year. There is internal circuitry that handles all that I doubt a different charger would be able to prevent what happened to this particular defective phone... But oh well keep the economy growing.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Why is everyone assuming that the guy was using a 3rd party charger. Y'all know that charger comes when you buy the phone, right?
      amoamare -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oniszczak View Post
      Perhaps if Apple didn't overcharge so much on their chargers (pun intended) users wouldn't feel the need to buy the inexpensive ones.
      They're expensive for a reason because the cost to produce one is higher. They work and are shielded properly. Seriously look up how a knock of charger is buily compared to a genuine charger. They use correct rated parts, shieldings etc. The knock offs are thrown together with what ever parts they have laying around.
      amoamare -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      You guys do realize that Apple probably thought of what is best method for charging. Your battery will not overcharge even if you leave it on the charger for a year. There is internal circuitry that handles all that I doubt a different charger would be able to prevent what happened to this particular defective phone... But oh well keep the economy growing.
      You would be surprised what a charger can do. I have chargers that stop touch screens from working, have chargers that will soft brick a device, create and extreame amount of heat etc.
      TwistedSoul -
      Are you kidding me. Who are you people. It was obviously a battery issue exploding and how the heck does anyone know it was so called overcharged? Norb is absolutely right.
      TwistedSoul -
      You are all blaming the the dude and the charger when the phone is the issue. Not the person. Does anyone even read articles anymore? Same people who say oops I "accidentally" updated my phone. Can I please have a jailbreak.
      amoamare -
      It may not be the charger your right I was commenting on someone else's reply. None the less 1 in x amount of devices caught on fire.

Also here is a decent video demostrating the differences than those pos $0.10 chargers that people buy for 9.99 or 29.99

Also to comment on the "doubt a charger has capabilites to do that". It has all the capabilites to do it. Clearly his phone was on the charger sense he woke up to it on the night stand. We dont know the full story and its just an asumption, I'm just letting those who want to know more information about why you dont use those pos chargers and help them understand in case anyone just reads this. We deal with this thing quit often
      TwistedSoul -
      I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but I never said doubt a charger has capabilities to do that. I absolutely 100% agree that a charger has the capabilities to do that it's plugged into a 220 V circuit
      TwistedSoul -
      In fact I don't even see a comment where anybody said that they doubted A charger has the capabilities to do that
      i113 -
      There isn't enough info in this article to make a conclusion one way or another.
      Was the charger OEM Apple?
      Was the lightning cable OEM Apple?
      Did he bump a glass of water over in his sleep?
      Is the electrical wiring in his home up to code?
      Have 3rd party charges killed people before? Yes!
      Did an iPhone 6+ spontaneously combust in a man's pocket before? Yes!
      Are these incidents common enough to indicate a design flaw, or major QA issue? Not really... But it would be nice to have all the facts when trying to make that judgement
      Moneymikey -
      It's an electronic...electronics can catch fire...not sure why this is a surprise to people or even an issue...you shouldn't be leaving things charging over night anyways...if five out of the millions they make catch fire...I'd say quality control is doing it's job...
      sheltons.iphone -
      One more thing that he doesn't mention....he says the phone was on the bed, was it covered up by a pillow or blanket? Was it covered up by an electric blanket? The phone will get hot while charging and if it can't dissipate the heat it may do this. It might not have anything to do with the design of the phone....it could still be, and probably is, the end user error.

All of these stories have the same common theme. The person was doing everything right and it's somebody else's fault.

Looks like all exterior damage. That doesn't look like a battery issue. It actually looks like powdered makeup clumped on the phone.
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSoul View Post
      You are all blaming the the dude and the charger when the phone is the issue. Not the person. Does anyone even read articles anymore? Same people who say oops I "accidentally" updated my phone. Can I please have a jailbreak.
      Show us an iPhone fire that was NOT caused by a third party charger and we'll stop blaming it on them. The cause of these fires is always a non-Apple charger.
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      Show us an iPhone fire that was NOT caused by a third party charger and we'll stop blaming it on them. The cause of these fires is always a non-Apple charger.
      I've seen TWO iPhone 3GS's (mine and my sisters) where their batteries have spontaneously swelled and broke out of the casing whilst NOT charging or plugged in whatsoever.

Google images will show you examples.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=iphone+3gs+battery+swelling&espv=2&biw=14 40&bih=755&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil h-ew1onKAhWRoKHYCfBMMQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1

I've also had an OFFICIAL Apple Charger overheat and burn out at the end that goes into the wall socket....but you'll probably blame the wall socket even though absolutely no other electrical item has ever had an issue with the same socket.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook