• Are you currently Jailbroken?

'Jailbreak' has come a long way since the early days since a few days after the first iPhone was released in July 2007, developers released the first jailbreaking tool for it, and soon a jailbreak-only game app became available. One of the reasons for 'jailbreaking' is to expand the feature set limited by Apple and its App Store. Apple and Jailbreak developers have been playing a cat and mouse game. Many of Apple's features have been stolen from the Jailbreak community.

HISTORY OF THE JAILBREAK
    In October 2007, JailbreakMe 1.0 (also called "AppSnapp") allowed people to jailbreak iPhone OS 1.1.1 on both the iPhone and iPod touch, and it included Installer.app as a way to get software for the jailbroken device. In February 2008, Zibri released ZiPhone, a tool for jailbreaking iPhone OS 1.1.3 and iPhone OS 1.1.4.

The iPhone Dev Team which is not affiliated with Apple, has released a series of free desktop-based jailbreaking tools. In July 2008 it released a version of PwnageTool to jailbreak the then new iPhone 3G on iPhone OS 2.0 as well as the iPod touch, newly including Cydia as the primary third-party installer for jailbroken software. PwnageTool continues to be updated for untethered jailbreaks of newer iOS versions.

After Apple released iOS 3.0 in June 2009, the Dev Team published redsn0w as a simple jailbreaking tool for Mac and Windows, and also updated PwnageTool primarily intended for expert users making custom firmware, and only for Mac. It continues to maintain redsn0w for jailbreaking most versions of iOS 4 and iOS 5 on most devices.

George Hotz developed the first iPhone unlock. In 2009, he released a jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 3GS on iPhone OS 3.0 called purplera1n, and blackra1n for iPhone OS version 3.1.2 on the 3rd generation iPod touch and other devices.

In October 2010, he released limera1n, a low-level boot ROM exploit that permanently works to jailbreak the iPhone 4 and is used as part of tools including redsn0w.

Nicholas Allegra (better known as "comex") released a program called Spirit in May 2010.

In 2011, JailbreakMe 3.0 used a flaw in PDF file rendering in mobile Safari.

Chronic Dev Team initially released greenpois0n in October 2010, a desktop-based tool for jailbreaking iOS 4.1 and later iOS 4.2.1 on most devices including the Apple TV, as well as iOS 4.2.6 on CDMA (Verizon) iPhones. In 2010 'Rock' was acquired by Cydia.

As of December 2011, redsn0w included the "Corona" untether by pod2g for iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad (1st generation), and iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation). As of June 2012, redsn0w also includes the "Rocky Racoon" untether by pod2g for iOS 5.1.1 on all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models that support iOS 5.1.1.

The iPhone Dev Team, Chronic Dev Team, and pod2g collaborated to release Absinthe in January 2012, a desktop-based tool to jailbreak the iPhone 4S for the first time and the iPad 2 for the second time, on iOS 5.0.1 for both devices and also iOS 5.0 for iPhone 4S. In May 2012 it released Absinthe 2.0, which can jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 untethered on all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models that support iOS 5.1.1, including jailbreaking the third-generation iPad for the first time. The hackers together called the evad3rs released an iOS 6.X jailbreak tool called "evasi0n" available for Linux, OS X, and Windows on Monday, February 4, 2013 at noon Eastern Standard Time.

Due to the high volume of interest in downloading the jailbreak utility, the site initially gave anticipating users download errors. When Apple upgraded its software to iOS 6.1.3 it permanently patched out the evasi0n jailbreak. Apple has now upgraded its software to iOS 6.1.4. which is only available for the iPhone 5.

In April 2013, the latest versions of Sn0wbreeze was released, which added the support for tethered jailbreaking on A4 devices (i.e. devices not newer than the iPhone 4, iPad (1st generation), or iPod touch (4th generation)).

On December 22, 2013, the evad3rs released a new version of evasi0n that supports jailbreaking iOS 7.0.x, known as evasi0n7. On December 30, 2013, winocm, ih8sn0w and SquiffyPwn released p0sixspwn for untethering devices on iOS 6.1.3 - 6.1.5. Initially, it was necessary to jailbreak tethered using redsn0w and install p0sixpwn at Cydia. A few days later, on January 4, 2014, the same team released a version of p0sixpwn for jailbreaking using a computer.

iOS 7.1 patched the exploits used by evasi0n7, and on June 23, 2014, Pangu, a Chinese untethered jailbreak was released for iOS 7.1.

On October 22, 2014, Pangu Team released Pangu8 to jailbreak all devices running iOS 8-8.1. The first versions did not bundle Cydia, nor was there an iOS 8 compatible version of Cydia at the time.

On November 29, 2014, TaiG team released their jailbreak tool called "TaiG" for devices running iOS 8.0-8.1.1.

On December 10, 2014, the app was updated to include support for iOS 8.1.2. On July 3, 2015, TaiG 2.3.0 was released, which includes support for iOS 8.0-8.4.

On 10 September 2015, 6 days before iOS 9 was released, iH8sn0w had demonstrated a working exploit on his Twitter page, linking to a YouTube video.

On October 14, 2015, Pangu Team released Pangu 9, their jailbreak tool for iOS 9.

We now await for the next iOS jailbreak

WE WANT TO KNOW!

Are you currently Jailbroken?

What was or is your favorite feature/tweak of Jailbreak?

What memories do you have?

Will you Jailbreak after iOS 10 if Apple bring the features/tweaks you're after to its platform?

Let us know in the comments below!

Original Source
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Are you currently Jailbroken? started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 39 Comments
      xushi -

Yes

App.sync (seriously ModmyI? The world will end if I type "App.Sync" without a dot?) and the ability to install apps outside of the app store. Not necessarily to skip paying for them, but to install older versions if needed.

How bloody painful it is to do a successful jailbreak

Will you Jailbreak after iOS 10 if Apple bring the features/tweaks you're after to its platform?

Yes.
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by xushi View Post

Yes

App.sync (seriously ModmyI? The world will end if I type "App.Sync" without a dot?) and the ability to install apps outside of the app store. Not necessarily to skip paying for them, but to install older versions if needed.

How bloody painful it is to do a successful jailbreak

Yes.
      Haha sorry about that, I seen the asterisks... Thank you for replying to the article ! It's you guys that keep the forum going!
      Striknine -
      Yes, and Jailbreakme. Being able to jailbreak by going to a website on the iPhone and tapping a jailbreak button was too simple. Those were the days. I was just going through some old documents and found a receipt for RockyouriPhone. That was also a cool app until it was absorbed by Cydia.
      HovikGas -

Yes

This is a tough one. F.lux comes to mind first, as it is not even a favorite, but an absolute necessity. If I couldn't have F.lux on my iPhone and iPad, I wouldn't be using them. That said, my favorite tweak is probably FlipControlCenter. Again, seems like a freakin no-brainer, but I can't believe Apple still hasn't stolen this idea yet, as it has with so many other pioneering tweaks over the years.

My favorite memory is probably installing snes4iphone for the first time (followed shortly by other emulators), and showing all my friends who thought they were cool with their iPhones how I could play any SNES, NES or GBA (among others) game on my iPhone! They pretended not to care, but I distinctly remember the jealousy on their faces, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Absolutely. The tweaks I mentioned above are just a couple of the indispensable ones I have. Even if Apple implemented all of them, there's always the unmatched customization that comes with themes and Winterboard. Oh and let's not forget root access, which affords you full control of your phone, so you can, just as one example, clean out all the ******** that Apple let's accumulate over time using exclusive apps like iCleaner. Apple would never allow this, so there will ALWAYS be a need to jailbreak. Thank you to all the developers and teams who have brought us jailbreaks over the past 9 years! I've been jailbroken on every iPhone since the original one and wouldn't be an iDevice user if I couldn't jailbreak!
      westy888 -
      Yes 5s on IOS 7 and iPhone 6 on 8.4.
      vXBaKeRXv -
      Hahaha Ziphone and rejailbreaking all the time. Ants was buggy. Customizer crashing trying to open. Always looking for repo sources.
      Etch&Sketch and the Classic Snake Game amazed me. Cubic Man was top homebrew game.

Steps and tools for a IOS 2.0 tethered Jailbreak was crazy. Rebooting sucked -
      The appstore was way cool then.

Game console Emulators brought me back in time. Didn't know that stuff existed..

Jailbroken on 8.1.2 and 9.0.2.
      Cool seeing the jb being documented 👍️

At this moment I don't plan on getting a device on 9.x or 10.x. I Only like the new Emojis and the quick calculator in spotlight on 9.x. To many good tweaks gone and can't theme much anymore.
      Updated a 4s from 7.1.1 to 9.x just to update tweaks and emojis. Got tired of not being able to test things on my own.
      sand_man -

Yes

As a compulsive themer it would have to be Winterboard and now Anemone. Homescreendesigner is another. Sadly hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Using iFaith and shsh blobs to stitch an ipsw, allowing me to downgrade and jailbreak on an earlier version of iOS, to the one currently being signed. What a great tool iFaith was? Would LOVE to be able to still do this!!!

Yes. Apple introduces new features and tweaks, the jailbreak community refines said features and tweaks. There's Apple interpretation and there is always, inevitably, Jailbreakers interpretation. IE Control center. Great addition but why limit functionality/toggles? CCSettings is just one example of how a stock feature has been enhanced and improved upon significantly.

EDIT: I would go so far as to say, should the ability to jailbreak end forever, I would move to Android based OS.
      buttamix -
      I am currently jailbroken. My favorite tweak was infinidock. A good memory I have is the first time I saw a tweak on YouTube some one was showing off a tweak called vWallpaper, that lead to me doing more research. This was how I learned of jail breaking, I will always jailbreak because the jailbreak community will always come up with cool features/tweaks before apple would. Where else is apple gonna get these ideas
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
      I am currently jailbroken. My favorite tweak was infinidock. A good memory I have is the first time I saw a tweak on YouTube some one was showing off a tweak called vWallpaper, that lead to me doing more research. This was how I learned of jail breaking, I will always jailbreak because the jailbreak community will always come up with cool features/tweaks before apple would. Where else is apple gonna get these ideas
      Thanks for replying ! I hope you enjoy my articles! It's also good to know that you will continue to jailbreak and support the community!
      bmwraw8482 -
      Easiest/favorite jailbreak: jailbreakme.com

Not currently jailbroken but looking forward to doing it again

Favorite tweak: bitesms. I miss it

Great article by the way!
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Yes

exKey, WhoozitPro

Videos of jailbreakme.com in Apple stores.

Not if the above two tweaks are incorporated.
      GAMER 4 L1F3 -
      I am and running 9.0.2
      Phantom and Springtomize
      Running Jailbreakme at every store I could
      I don't think they will, and if they do, things like Phantom wouldn't be allowed on the app store anyways. They surely won't allow a tweak to modify another app strictly for security reasons. So yes, I would still want a jailbreak!
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GAMER 4 L1F3 View Post
      I am and running 9.0.2
      Phantom and Springtomize
      Running Jailbreakme at every store I could
      I don't think they will, and if they do, things like Phantom wouldn't be allowed on the app store anyways. They surely won't allow a tweak to modify another app strictly for security reasons. So yes, I would still want a jailbreak!
      What's the risk of getting banned from snapchat with phantom?
      novadam -
      great article. I always wanted a history of it. My first iPhone was a 3GS and I jailbroke it almost immediately. Can't remember which JB it was, but I remember using Rock more than Cydia. It had reviews and was much faster than Cydia, I think.

or maybe Cydia was faster. Can't remember. I just remember that one of them was painfully slow.
      senorian -

Yes. Anxiously awaiting the next jailbreak.

BiteSMS. Oddly, a quick compose/quick reply hasn't been stolen by Apple from the jailbreak community and implemented into their iOS.

I think the memories that I have and remember the most are all of the innovative tweaks that came from the Jailbreak community. Also, my other memories are of Apple stealing many of said tweaks and trying to implement them into their iOS and then carrying on as if they were the ones who came up with these new additions.

As long as I own an iPhone and someone is still making a jailbreak available I will ALWAYS jailbreak my iPhone.
      Kupe -

Yes

MyWi. I literally could not do my job without it. ATT does not allow Personal Hotspot on the grandfathered Unlimited Plans, so this is not something Apple could change.

Absolutely yes- for the reason stated above.
      Bo Troxell -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      What's the risk of getting banned from snapchat with phantom?
      From what I have read and seen video's about it, zero chance of getting banned.
      Neojok -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

Yes

MyWi. I literally could not do my job without it. ATT does not allow Personal Hotspot on the grandfathered Unlimited Plans, so this is not something Apple could change.

Absolutely yes- for the reason stated above.

Doesn't mywi offer hide option like pdanet offers?
      exNavy -

---Have been jailbroken since 2007 on every model.

---iBlacklist and then yellowsn0w when we needed it.

--Creating tutorials in the middle of the night when the very first unlock by GeoHot was released. I opened my first gen iphone and got the jumper wires out and magnifying glass and hardware unlocked my phone to get it on tmobile the next day.

---I will jailbreak until apple offers me themes and tweaks like iblacklist.
      Simon -
      6s currently jailbroken. Favorite tweak would have to be sbsettings, was always a must have before control center came about.
      Favorite memory was virginizing my 1.0.2 baseband so that I could update my iPhone and unlock it again without bricking it with the dreaded 0049 IMEI. By far the most nervous I have ever been doing something like that.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook