• '1970' date bug acknowledged by Apple, promises solution in later software update

On Monday, Apple posted a new support document that acknowledges the existence of a recently exposed date setting bug in iOS. Manually changing the date to May 1970 or earlier can prevent your iOS device from turning on after a restart.

When the bug was originally made public, it was believed that users had to rewind iOS' date all the way back to Jan. 1, 1970.

Apple is promising to fix the bug in a software update, however they have not given any specifics. Apple isn't offering any temporary solutions for salvaging the device.

Any 64-bit hardware running iOS 8 or 9 is believed to be susceptible to the glitch, which will most frequently leave it stuck at the Apple logo, unable to finish booting. Even the full complement of restore options won't work.

Anecdotes have hinted that some devices may spontaneously recover on their own several hours later, but with extremely slow performance if so.

The issue became more serious over the weekend, as online trolls began trying to trick people into resetting their date. In most cases, people falling victim to the glitch will have no choice but to get a replacement device from Apple.

Original Source
    This article was originally published in forum thread: '1970' date bug acknowledged by Apple, promises solution in later software update started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
      Hondamaker -
      Why even worry about it? Who's gonna set their phone's clock back to 1970? There's no point!
      Darkflame -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
      Why even worry about it? Who's gonna set their phone's clock back to 1970? There's no point!
      If it sits at the apple boot logo. Couldn't you just leave it there 24 hours till the battery craps out? Then when it reboots the clock would be wiped? Not sure if it would work but it's worth a try.

I know no one would be dumb enough to do it but you never know. People tend to do stupid stuff on social media and try to trick people into doing stupid tricks. Look at the Xbox developer mode fiasco.
      feidhlim1986 -
      It was "reported" that it was an easter egg that would turn your icons into an "old school" Macintosh look. Most people who own iPhones (or any tech) are not very tech savvy.
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
      If it sits at the apple boot logo. Couldn't you just leave it there 24 hours till the battery craps out? Then when it reboots the clock would be wiped? Not sure if it would work but it's worth a try.

I know no one would be dumb enough to do it but you never know. People tend to do stupid stuff on social media and try to trick people into doing stupid tricks. Look at the Xbox developer mode fiasco.
      Nope.

And even if it "wiped" - what would it reset to? The reason this bug exists is that 1/1/1970 is the "beginning" of the Unix clock and since iOS is Unix based.
      Hondamaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      It was "reported" that it was an easter egg that would turn your icons into an "old school" Macintosh look. Most people who own iPhones (or any tech) are not very tech savvy.
      I didn't know about the easter egg thing. You're right, a lot of people would fall for that and try it out.
      floyd27 -
      Would doing a full DFU restore not "Fix" this issue??
      miketurbo123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by floyd27 View Post
      No
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by floyd27 View Post
      According to SOME sources it will not work, HOWEVER other sources here say it works.

This iOS date trick will brick any device [Video] | 9to5Mac
      Bo Troxell -
      According to this, A DFU restore will work if your silly enough to do this.

Apple Support Communities

I also liked this comment on one of the sites I searched.

This is a warning for us to never attempt time travel.
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      According to this, A DFU restore will work if your silly enough to do this.

Apple Support Communities

I also liked this comment on one of the sites I searched.

This is a warning for us to never attempt time travel.
      NOTE:
      There are a few reports that DFU mode doesn't solve the problem. A solution to that is already listed, but another to try is to wait a few hours and try DFU mode again, to allow the clock to advance to "real" time. The interval to wait is more than your time difference between your local time zone and UTC (Greenwich) time. That's 5 hours for EST, 8 hours for PST, etc.
      Purple Minion -
      Let me get this straight...

If someone sets the date on their phone to 1970 and their phone turns into a brick, Apple considers it a bug. But if Apple bricks their phone with "error 53", that's considered a security feature?
      Ambi_Valence -
      LOL so shortsighted.
      Letís say someone hacks an NTP server and sets the date to 1970. Suddenly every iOS device has a different time on it. Now whatís one of the first things people are advised to do to fix errant behaviour?
      Thatís right. Reboot.

Suddenly loads of iPhones are bollocksed.

Just because you canít see why itís an issue doesnít mean others canít. This is an issue that Apple have overlooked. It is THEIR fault.
      xboxbml -
      Quote Originally Posted by Purple Minion View Post

If someone sets the date on their phone to 1970 and their phone turns into a brick, Apple considers it a bug. But if Apple bricks their phone with "error 53", that's considered a security feature?
      lol...
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Nope.

And even if it "wiped" - what would it reset to? The reason this bug exists is that 1/1/1970 is the "beginning" of the Unix clock and since iOS is Unix based.
      so wait, the Mac is unix based, so would this also happen on MacBooks? doubt apple will bring out a fix for old iPods
      RyoSaeba -
      Quote Originally Posted by Purple Minion View Post

Since now we know there are many fixes (a solid one is disconnecting the battery), it isn't really a brick then. So technically, it really is simply a software bug. The error 53 is when you're trying to mess with the touch ID. In short, if the touch ID was allowed to be swapped, it could essentially be used to bypass the lock. An in depth explanation is found here.
      RyoSaeba -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      so wait, the Mac is unix based, so would this also happen on MacBooks? doubt apple will bring out a fix for old iPods
      If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), it's how the OS handles zero and negative time. So for example, other Unix based system knows how to calculate zero/negative time but iOS can't because it handles only positive integers for the Unix time. So to fix it, it could just be as simple as allowing all integers (negative, zero, and positive) instead of just positive ones for the calculation of the time.
      BenderRodriguez -
      So it looks like only Doctor Who can time travel, dangit now I NEED a Tardis lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook