• San Bernardino victims to support FBI in iPhone decryption fight

Families of the victims of last year's San Bernardino massacre plan to file a legal brief in support of U.S. Department of Justice efforts to unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters, adding weight to the government's case against Apple, a report said Sunday.

A lawyer representing the victims told Reuters that his clients have a special interest in seeing Syed Ryzwan Farook's iPhone 5c unlocked and its data analyzed.

"They were targeted by terrorists, and they need to know why, how this could happen," said Stephen Larson, who served as a federal judge before going private.

Tashfeen Malik, Farook's wife and accomplice in the San Bernardino attack, pledged her loyalty to terrorist group ISIS and its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Facebook prior to carrying out the attack. The Islamic State later took responsibility for the shooting that left 14 people dead, not including the couple who died in an ensuing gun battle with law enforcement officers.

FBI and Justice Department officials are seeking information potentially stored on Farook's iPhone 5c, but the device is protected by a passcode. Officials were able to recover iCloud backups saved on Apple's servers, though the most recent data dates back to October 19.

A federal magistrate judge last week ordered Apple to assist in FBI forensic efforts, an action supported by a DOJ motion to compel filed days later.

Apple CEO Tim Cook posted an open letter to Apple's website opposing the request, saying the company has no tools in its arsenal that can break iOS encryption. Further, creating a workaround would fundamentally undermine the security protocols currently being used to protect consumer information stored on hundreds of millions of iOS devices.

"We mourn the loss of life and want justice for all those whose lives were affected," Cook said. "The FBI asked us for help in the days following the attack, and we have worked hard to support the government's efforts to solve this horrible crime. We have no sympathy for terrorists."

It was learned late last week that the FBI purposely called on the iPhone 5c's owner San Bernardino County Department of Health, where Farook worked for five years, to reset the associated Apple ID password hours after impounding the device in December in an attempt to glean on-site data. Apple engineers, who were not made aware of the change until they were consulted January, said the move negated the possibility of extracting data from the handset without also breaking its encryption.

Apple is scheduled to respond to the court order on Feb. 26.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: San Bernardino victims to support FBI in iPhone decryption fight started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      Zokunei -
      Yeah, I'm sure resetting the password was an "accident."
      Silverado1987 -
      I bet there just using the victims to guilt trip the company
      Rakim -
      It blows my mind how the govt works sometimes.... In so many ways they get it right then turn right around and screw something up monumentally... This is something that is ALMOST ALWAYS on the world stage because we are always in the worlds spotlight.
      Here we have a phone which potentially has information critical to our and others strategic awareness and overall domestic safety and they INITIALLY send in a bunch of geniuses who mistakenly reset a password on the phone, supposedly unaware of the consequences of doing so..... This concerns me because they didn't know this would happen? And yet we are to believe that given a tool to accomplish what they are asking that it would be handled PROPERLY?(whatever that means to them)
      Of all the iPhones out here in the market you're telling me at least ONE of their team of eggheads didn't have an iPhone for them to test their process out on?
      Ohhhh they probably didn't want to compromise/sacrifice the "privacy" of their phone maybe?!?

I agree with and support the victims idea that it would be great to have the information in that phone. But at the end of the day, THIS is a WAR, despite the fact that it has shifted to a technological and cyber one now regarding the phone and whether or not Apple is compelled to break their security, it is still a WAR just the same.... And in War the most basic idea has always been NEVER EVER sacrifice many over the protection of the few. The ugly truth of that is, that casualties are a sad and horrific part of it. It is a very heartbreaking situation and the losses for those families has been tremendous, putting it very lightly, however we cannot set a precedent which has such far reaching after affects......

We need another way to get that info if there is one... How to do it?? Well That's above my pay grade but as a person who uses Apple products, and in this case the iPhone. The end results of creating a workaround for the FBI makes the illusion of our veil of security that much thinner And that's just the beginning of our worries if Apple is indeed compelled to comply.....
      dsg -
      Gun, foot and shoot comes to mind
      Kyle Brooks -
      Maybe I'm just soulless, but the shooters are dead. They shot people because they supported ISIS & their beliefs, and they were ******* terrorists. What sort of useful info could possible come from acquiring more Intel on these already dead pieces of ****? Are there potential nudie pics stored on the phone the FBI want? Potentially a song lyric saved in a voice memo they wanna use for their fresh new single? Throw the ******* phone in the trash, along with these terrorist mother *******. End of story, and end of investigation.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Brooks View Post
      Maybe I'm just soulless, but the shooters are dead. They shot people because they supported ISIS & their beliefs, and they were ******* terrorists. What sort of useful info could possible come from acquiring more Intel on these already dead pieces of ****? Are there potential nudie pics stored on the phone the FBI want? Potentially a song lyric saved in a voice memo they wanna use for their fresh new single? Throw the ******* phone in the trash, along with these terrorist mother *******. End of story, and end of investigation.
      Iím certainly not on the FBIís side by any means, but there ARE legitimate reasons for wanting the data. For example, did he have contact with someone in ISIS that we could use the data on his phone to hunt down? Does he have friends planning on committing similar acts that he knew about?
      Feanor64 -
      This is just a ploy by Apple. They will eventually give in. This way they can say look how hard we fought it. Cmon guys don't you know anything about what Snowden exposed? They give the government info all the time and don't give me any grief about the county resetting the passcode. This is just a catalyst so the government can quickly unlock phones and access data without involving Apple. Make no mistake they will get it if they haven't already...but Apple fought so hard dang it! Yeah right
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Iím certainly not on the FBIís side by any means, but there ARE legitimate reasons for wanting the data. For example, did he have contact with someone in ISIS that we could use the data on his phone to hunt down? Does he have friends planning on committing similar acts that he knew about?
      This is actually just a work phone that the county gave him. He had a private phone that he most likely used for all of his terrorist connections, given he made sure to destroy it but left the iPhone in tact. Plus they already have the phone records from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
      This is just a ploy by Apple. They will eventually give in. This way they can say look how hard we fought it. Cmon guys don't you know anything about what Snowden exposed? They give the government info all the time and don't give me any grief about the county resetting the passcode. This is just a catalyst so the government can quickly unlock phones and access data without involving Apple. Make no mistake they will get it if they haven't already...but Apple fought so hard dang it! Yeah right
      Yeah, never mind that Snowden says this is the most important tech court case in a decade.
      Feanor64 -
      Snowdens opinion doesn't mean crap. I'm just talking about what he exposed.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Brooks View Post
      They could've been talking with other terrorists about other terrorists and other plans else where. Could have names. Locations. Etc
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      They could've been talking with other terrorists about other terrorists and other plans else where. Could have names. Locations. Etc
      Not on his work phone. Believe it or not, terrorists aren't that stupid. He destroyed the phones that had info on them...
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      Not on his work phone. Believe it or not, terrorists aren't that stupid. He destroyed the phones that had info on them...
      Oh idk then. Prolly wanna check out those sweet pics of his wife lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook