• Apple TV 4 Jailbreak to be released next week by Pangu

The Pangu team today released an untethered jailbreak tool for iOS 9.1 which was a surprise to us all, which also makes it the first jailbreak ever to be released for iPad Pro. The same team has now taken to Twitter to announce that they will also release a jailbreak by next week for the fourth generation of Apple TV running tvOS 9.0 or 9.0.1. The last time that we saw a jailbreak for Apple TV was around three years ago.

We will release jb for Apple TV4(9.0.x) next week which only has SSH access. It's mainly for security researchers and jailbreak developers.
    [Pangu Team via Twitter]

The jailbreak will only provide SSH access with no GUI-based features and is mainly aimed at jailbreak developers and security researchers. With that said, this should still be considered as a good news as it opens the door for new modifications and improvements to the Apple TV. For instance, jailbreak developers could provide a way for users to theme the interface of Apple TV apart from enjoying new features.

If your Apple TV has already been updated to tvOS 9.1 or 9.1.1 then you’re out of luck because the new Pangu jailbreak will support only those Apple TVs that are running tvOS 9.0 or 9.0.1. Unfortunately, just like iOS, you can’t downgrade to an older version of tvOS.

If you’re not sure which firmware version your Apple TV is running then simply head to the general settings and check it from there.

Nonetheless, this is a very exciting news and I can’t wait to see the creativity of jailbreak developers with the kind of tweaks they will be coming up with for the Apple TV.

What sort of tweaks would you like to see for the Apple TV?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple TV 4 Jailbreak to be released next week by Pangu started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
      Sage I -
      Springtomize for the Apple tv would be sweet.
      hogcia -
      This sounds useless to me since Apple will be releasing a new tvios update soon. Next!
      CabooseLoL -
      I'm pissed that I updated my Apple TV
      hogcia -
      I side loaded kodi so I'm happy.
      steve-z17 -
      Not much to do with the ATV JB anymore.
      Carvensno -
      Ya my ATV came with 9.1 already installed. lol dammit!
      mazzanic -
      So pretty much the owners of the ATV 3s are SOOL.. No jailbreak, no way to get app store.. just airplay? (always has lag or not perfect). I know it sounds terrible first world problems, but woulda been nice to have a JB on the 3.. Maybe I'll just go buy a 4 and get my apps and be quiet LOL
      Sage I -
      I'm stoked on the ATV 4 as is and am looking forward to seeing what a jailbreak may bring to the table in the future.
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      So pretty much the owners of the ATV 3s are SOOL.. No jailbreak, no way to get app store.. just airplay? (always has lag or not perfect). I know it sounds terrible first world problems, but woulda been nice to have a JB on the 3.. Maybe I'll just go buy a 4 and get my apps and be quiet LOL

Good luck! I bought mine it had 9.1 installed already.
      bigbaba -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      I think the biggest problem with the atv3 was the lack of built in storage. Can't fix that with a software patch!
      Titan3636 -
      Darn I'm on beta
      mark1958 -
      Anyone know what OStv the new ATV4's ship with ???, I just picked up a new unopened unit yesterday should be here this week.
      I'm hoping it's 9.0.
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
      Anyone know what OStv the new ATV4's ship with ???, I just picked up a new unopened unit yesterday should be here this week.
      I'm hoping it's 9.0.
      Most likely 9.0 or 9.1 lol
      mark1958 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      Most likely 9.0 or 9.1 lol
      I can only Hope Caiden, but I'm not going to hold my breath lol
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
      I can only Hope Caiden, but I'm not going to hold my breath lol
      Many on the forum have posted that theirs was shipped with 9.1
      hemptation -
      I mean ... I used to JB my ate 2's to get plex, and XBMC but we can get most of that thru the app store now. am slightly interested to see what it will do with a JB now. movie box on apple tv 4? could be on to something
      mark1958 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
      I mean ... I used to JB my ate 2's to get plex, and XBMC but we can get most of that thru the app store now. am slightly interested to see what it will do with a JB now. movie box on apple tv 4? could be on to something
      I'm wondering the same thing as well, with 32-64 GB of memory now just thinking there may be more exploits to take advantage of.

Caiden Spencer

"Many on the forum have posted that theirs was shipped with 9.1"

That's why I said I'm not going to hold my breath
      psxcancer -
      Apple so dropped the ball on there Apple TV. By making ATV3 unjailbreakable, people got tired of waiting and looked for a alternative.

Andriod is now the go to for Kodi (I personally use Kodi on my laptop now) People would still be looking for ATVs.

I still think Apple (or an employee) leaves little cracks to see what the JB Community will do.

Funny, ATV3 was the only Apple device to not get JB (to best of my knowledge).
      NewD -
      There's just not enough that a jailbreak on an ATV adds to its functionality. That's why ATV3 never got jailbroken. Not enough strong NEED for it.
      mark1958 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      Many on the forum have posted that theirs was shipped with 9.1
      Caiden mine came today and lo and behold it's on 9.0.
      I did find this link (http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi) were you can tell when your ATV4 was built by inputting the serial number.
      You can use it as a guide to some what figure what Tvos might be on a unit without opening it.

Here are the release dates for the currently available tvOS software:

tvOS 9.0 – 10/29/2015
      tvOS 9.0.1 – 11/9/2015
      tvOS 9.1 – 12/8/2015
      tvOS 9.1.1 – 1/25/2016

This means that you ideally want to purchase an Apple TV made prior to 12/8/2015, although it’s possible that Apple TVs still shipped with tvOS 9.0.x after that date. Obviously, there are no guarantees either way. But it does make it possible to go to a store and tell when a unit was manufactured with this link.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook