• Hands On: Apple offers premium power at budget pricing with new iPhone SE


    Rather than letting the 4-inch iPhone form factor die a slow death, Apple gave it a shot in the arm on Monday with the debut of the new iPhone SE.



    Perhaps the biggest surprise in Monday's announcement was the starting price of the iPhone SE ó at just $399 for 16 gigabytes, it's Apple's most affordable new iPhone model ever.



    Despite the low entry price, the handset still has Apple's latest-generation A9 processor and 12-megapixel camera, capable of recording 4K video. Really, compared to an iPhone 6s, the only thing missing from the iPhone SE (aside from a larger display) is pressure sensing 3D Touch.


    The iPhone SE will likely expand the "advanced hardware" status of the iPhone install base. Previously, Apple made it clear that older models were slower and had poorer cameras, for example. Now, that's not necessarily the case anymore.

    The absence of 3D Touch is somewhat disappointing, but it's likely a technical issue that Apple isn't able to pull off. And the handset maxes out at 64 gigabytes, so those with a large library of photos, videos and apps will need to go for a larger form factor to get 128 gigabytes.


    - MacRumors

    iPhone SE is available in the same four colors offered across most of Apple's newer product lineups: Gold, Silver, Space Gray, and Rose Gold.

    [via MacRumors]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hands On: Apple offers premium power at budget pricing with new iPhone SE started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Those that wanted a smaller iPhone, are you happy now?
    1. Laxu's Avatar
      Laxu -
      Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
    1. zeroskater61's Avatar
      zeroskater61 -
      I thought they were going to make the iphone SE with the same design as the iPhone 6 and just keep the iPhone 5 size? Double the speed is nice and the extra colors are a plus but who now and days doesn't own an iPhone 5 with after market color housing? I think it would've been major win if they would've implemented the same iPhone 6 design/looks, my thoughts of corse.
    1. rolandgabor's Avatar
      rolandgabor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Laxu View Post
      Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
      16gb version for what? So they can advertise a low entry price? I don't see the benefit of a 12mp camera with 4 k video with 16 damned gb's. Sucker can take 6 pictures or a minute worth video? What is wrong with this picture?
    1. TwinSouls's Avatar
      TwinSouls -
      I've been holding on to my 5s because I hate the larger screens. I hoped one day they would bring back a smaller option but I don't want to get screwed on internal specs. Why release this now with old 6s specs? They should have waited and released this with iPhone 7 specs. Ya right, like they would do that. Oh well, if I have to go with a ****** bigger phone to get the full specs, I'll just go with android. SMH.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwinSouls View Post
      I've been holding on to my 5s because I hate the larger screens. I hoped one day they would bring back a smaller option but I don't want to get screwed on internal specs. Why release this now with old 6s specs? They should have waited and released this with iPhone 7 specs. Ya right, like they would do that. Oh well, if I have to go with a ****** bigger phone to get the full specs, I'll just go with android. SMH.
      Wait... Seriously? Youíre upset about this?
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Budget, yeah right. For a budget phone you should be looking at paying £100 or less
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      Budget, yeah right. For a budget phone you should be looking at paying £100 or less
      Poverty.
    1. Silvio6's Avatar
      Silvio6 -
      Great. When my current i6 breaks, the SE is definitely the model I will buy. I take my phone everywhere (who doesn't? ;-) ) and do sport with it. Size is an important factor for me. All my trousers have a stretched left pocket now :-(
      I was hoping it would have 3D touch, but I can live without it, as I did until now, as long as it's fast !
      Still waiting to see some real life battery tests to make my mind.
    1. <Ian Nicoll/>'s Avatar
      <Ian Nicoll/> -
      I stuck with my i5 all this time as don't like big phones.
      I applaud Apple for realising there are many like me.
      Expect the old 5S to drastically drop in price, good for my kids.
      Bye bye i5, hello i5 SE for me.

      I don't understand what you guys who prefer bigger phones are complaining about, if u don't like it don't buy it, wait for i7.
    1. repoman16's Avatar
      repoman16 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwinSouls View Post
      I've been holding on to my 5s because I hate the larger screens. I hoped one day they would bring back a smaller option but I don't want to get screwed on internal specs. Why release this now with old 6s specs? They should have waited and released this with iPhone 7 specs. Ya right, like they would do that. Oh well, if I have to go with a ****** bigger phone to get the full specs, I'll just go with android. SMH.
      They managed to cram almost every spec from their current top of the line device into a smaller phone, and this guy still ******* because it doesn't have the same specs as a phone that doesn't exist yet.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Are they saying that the design of the 6/6S is more costly? Why would Apple choose an old design for a new phone? We have already had 3 iPhone 5 version. Now we have a 4th. Not innovative in my opinion. Not innovative at all.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      Are they saying that the design of the 6/6S is more costly? Why would Apple choose an old design for a new phone? We have already had 3 iPhone 5 version. Now we have a 4th. Not innovative in my opinion. Not innovative at all.
      It wasnít supposed to be innovative and if I remember right nobody even said it was. Itís entire purpose is to get people who prefer small phone to keep from switching to android.
    1. Pinoy's Avatar
      Pinoy -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      It wasnít supposed to be innovative and if I remember right nobody even said it was. Itís entire purpose is to get people who prefer small phone to keep from switching to android.
      Pretty sure any upper end Android is at least the same size as the 6s.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
      Pretty sure any upper end Android is at least the same size as the 6s.
      While true, this isnít catering to the high end market. Itís priced that low so people can afford it.
    1. TwinSouls's Avatar
      TwinSouls -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      While true, this isn’t catering to the high end market. It’s priced that low so people can afford it.
      I don't care about price. I want an high end small phone. Give me full specs!
    1. TwinSouls's Avatar
      TwinSouls -
      Quote Originally Posted by repoman16 View Post
      They managed to cram almost every spec from their current top of the line device into a smaller phone, and this guy still ******* because it doesn't have the same specs as a phone that doesn't exist yet.

      Yes I'm ******* because they wait until almost the next gen phone is almost out. If they had released this at the same time as when they did the 6s, then it would be a different story and don't say they weren't able too at the time.

    1. Pinoy's Avatar
      Pinoy -
      This will flop like the budget 5c. They will of course initially give these tremendous figures, then it will just go away. 90% of the market is accustomed to larger devices at this point. It's very hard to go to a smaller phone.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwinSouls View Post
      Yes I'm ******* because they wait until almost the next gen phone is almost out. If they had released this at the same time as when they did the 6s, then it would be a different story and don't say they weren't able too at the time.

      To be quite frank, Iím shocked it has the specs it does. I never expected 6s level hardware.
  • Connect With Us

  • Twitter Box

  • Facebook