• Some users having issues installing iOS 9.3 on older iPad models

It seems the release of Apple's feature-packed iOS 9.3 update is not going over well with some users, as a small contingent of iPad owners are complaining of bricked hardware after attempting over-the-air and iTunes upgrades.

An unknown number of iPad owners, specifically those with second-generation models, are having trouble installing and activating the latest iOS version released Monday, according to posts on Apple's Support Communities forum and owners who reached out to ModMyi.

The issue, which appears to be limited to older iPads, usually presents itself during the activation stage and multiple users have reported seeing authentication error messages. While the symptom suggests overly congested activation servers situation normal for a new firmware release some iPad owners have been waiting for 24 hours without luck.

A few Support pages forum members said they were able to work around the issue by downloading iOS 9.3 through iTunes on a Mac and installing over a hardwired connection, but others have attempted the same without success. Another method that proved effective for some is a full restore. It is recommended that users conduct a local or iCloud backup prior to restoring their device as the process erases all user data.

At least one Support Communities member affected by the potential bug took their device into a local Apple Store for help, but employees were unable to offer assistance.

Apple has not issued a statement regarding the matter and did not respond to a request for comment.

[via Apple Community]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Some users having issues installing iOS 9.3 on older iPad models started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      lighter -
      I'm not having issues with an iPad but I am having issues with my Touch ID not being responsive on my iPhone 6 puls. It will randomly stop working so I have enter my password or restart the device to get it to work again. Only started after the update .... Anyone else notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      It seems the release of Apple's feature-packed iOS 9.3 update is not going over well with some users, as a small contingent of iPad owners are complaining of bricked hardware after attempting over-the-air and iTunes upgrades.

An unknown number of iPad owners, specifically those with second-generation models, are having trouble installing and activating the latest iOS version released Monday, according to posts on Apple's Support Communities forum and owners who reached out to ModMyi.

The issue, which appears to be limited to older iPads, usually presents itself during the activation stage and multiple users have reported seeing authentication error messages. While the symptom suggests overly congested activation servers situation normal for a new firmware release some iPad owners have been waiting for 24 hours without luck.

A few Support pages forum members said they were able to work around the issue by downloading iOS 9.3 through iTunes on a Mac and installing over a hardwired connection, but others have attempted the same without success. Another method that proved effective for some is a full restore. It is recommended that users conduct a local or iCloud backup prior to restoring their device as the process erases all user data.

At least one Support Communities member affected by the potential bug took their device into a local Apple Store for help, but employees were unable to offer assistance.

Apple has not issued a statement regarding the matter and did not respond to a request for comment.

[via Apple Community]
      Caiden Spencer -
      Haven't experienced this issue as such. You're not restarting your device are you?

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      I'm not having issues with an iPad but I am having issues with my Touch ID not being responsive on my iPhone 6 puls. It will randomly stop working so I have enter my password or restart the device to get it to work again. Only started after the update .... Anyone else notice that?
      lighter -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      Haven't experienced this issue as such. You're not restarting your device are you?
      No I'm aware if I restart I have to enter my passcode.

This Touch ID will randomly stop and only way to fix as mentioned is to enter my passcode and it works the next time or I guess essentially restarting and entering passcode is the same thing.

I also notice when the Touch ID stops working my reachability feature goes crazy when I don't have to double tap the home button (not actuall press). I can just put my thumb on it and it starts to jump back and forth without any tapping.

As mentioned only started this morning after updating to 9.3. Might try and downgrade until 9.3.1 or something comes out ...
      Caiden Spencer -
      I have beta's 1-7 and now on official public release. I advise you to back up and restore if this continues happening..?
      bmwraw8482 -
      With as slow as my iPad 3 has gotten I don't think I'll install anything newer on it. I think it's still on iOS 8. Wouldn't even consider updating if I had an iPad 2
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      I haven't had this, but I have noticed once in a while in the morning my phone will force me to enter my passcode. The only reason I think it's doing it is because it may be randomly restarting overnight.
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
      With as slow as my iPad 3 has gotten I don't think I'll install anything newer on it. I think it's still on iOS 8. Wouldn't even consider updating if I had an iPad 2
      My iPad 3 has slowed way down too unfortunately
      Albut -
      iPad 3 slowed down too. You'd think Apple would know these things during the testing or are they not thorough enough. Money saving!
      Caiden Spencer -
      Yes, Apple are smart when it comes to upgrading your device to a new firmware. It's all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      iPad 3 slowed down too. You'd think Apple would know these things during the testing or are they not thorough enough. Money saving!
      jackson1714 -
      Works fine on my iPad Air.
      Leolion311 -
      My iPad 3 9.3 went easy over the air but I'm going back to 9.2.1 before Apple stops signing 9.2.1.no point of upgrading as no extra features were installed only security patches.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook