• Cellebrite again rumored to have accessed San Bernardino iPhone 5c for FBI

Reports this week claim Israeli data forensics firm Cellebrite provided the FBI with technology to extract information from an iPhone 5c linked to San Bernardino terror suspect Syed Rizwan Farook.

Rumors are spreading that the FBI worked with Cellebrite Mobile Synchronization Ltd., a division of Japan's Sun Corporation, to gain access to Farook's iPhone. CNN Money cited its own inside sources as saying a "brilliant" hacker in Seattle managed a group of "elite" Cellebrite engineers to accomplish the exploit.

Both reports seemingly corroborate claims made last week by Israeli publication Yedioth Ahronoth, though the exact method by which FBI agents gained entry to the iPhone unit remains secret.

Confusing the matter, however, are statements from two unnamed law enforcement officials, who on Friday told CNN Cellebrite was not involved. Despite these new claims, circumstantial evidence suggests the firm was indeed contracted to bypass Apple's security measures.

Government records indicate Cellebrite signed a $218,000 FBI contract the same day Justice Department representatives announced Farook's device had been cracked. A long-time Cellebrite customer, the FBI previously inked at least 187 deals over the last seven years for forensics tools averaging $10,883 each, but last week's agreement was the largest to date, CNN reports.

Apple's attempt to gather information about the FBI's data extraction technique have been fruitless. Security experts say that leaving the vulnerability un-patched puts hundreds of millions of iPhone's at risk.

Neither organisations have confirmed this.

[via Bloomberg]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cellebrite again rumored to have accessed San Bernardino iPhone 5c for FBI started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      King_O_Hill -
      They could have given me half that money and I would have told them what's it it.

Nothing useful!
      What a waste of taxpayer money. Just disgusting!
      nick79 -
      I hope you feels the same way when your family is a victim of terrorism you ******.
      King_O_Hill -
      Wow, did you come up with that all by yourself. It takes a real POS to suggest something might happen to my family.

The government is just doing a bang up job so far. Besides, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do of having my family become victims of terrorism. I bet you are one of those people that believe in stranger danger too.

But it's nice to see you come out and finally post after being here for so long.
      Zokunei -
      His other posts have been deleted for language. Pay him no mind.
      oneduality -
      Quote Originally Posted by nick79 View Post
      I hope you feels the same way when your family is a victim of terrorism you ******.
      Wow... just... wow .... some people .. o.O
      unison999 -
      Compare to the cost for all the legal back and forth plus the continuation of the cost if it had to drag on further, thank god they went with the cheap way.
      No way government going to give Apple the data extraction method, and there will be a lot more phones that will be accessed.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook