• iFixit’s teardown reveals iPhone SE contains display identical to iPhone 5S & more

On Thursday, iFixIt posted images which shows the next-gen 4-inch iPhone's display is identical to its iPhone 5S predecessor, among other interesting finds.

Apple unveiled iPhone SE as a new budget entry earlier this month. With a starting price of $399, the device is aimed at burgeoning markets, Android switchers and iPhone faithful who prefer smaller form factor devices.

iFixIt found the entire display assembly is straight out of the iPhone 5S – right down to the FaceTime camera, which explains why that remained a 1.2MP unit instead of the 5MP version in the iPhone 6S. iFixit confirms the Touch ID unit is first-gen which appears on the iPhone 5S.

There are a many minor components also taken straight from the 5S, which includes the speaker and vibration motor. there are also many minor changes, like the Lightning connector, while the battery is a bigger 1624mAh battery rather than the 1560mAh in the 5S.

iFixit gives the phone a repair-ability rating of 6/10, noting that the greatest risk is tearing the Touch ID cable when opening the casing. This is slightly worse than the iPhone 6S, which scored 7/10. The rear-facing 12-megapixel iSight camera is a vast improvement over the 8MP shooter on iPhone 5s. Interestingly, while the specifications match those of the iSight module on iPhone 6s, the parts appears to be slightly modified and are therefore not interchangeable.

[via iFixIt]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iFixit’s teardown reveals iPhone SE contains display identical to iPhone 5S & more started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
      <Ian Nicoll/> -
      Perfect!
      That'll do for me, don't want, (nor do I believe we need) a higher res screen that just uses up precious resources, I'm very happy it's the same screen as i5S, I've never understood all the higher & higher screen resolutions, it's a phone, not a gaming platform!
      Looking forward to getting this phone, should be a good performance increase over my i5, that said, I got no issues with the performance of my i5.
      Googly2moogly -
      What a shame and a marketing scheme. Why not just get 5s.
      farid28 -
      I agree with you for the screen resolution but the display energy efficiency has to evolve and compensate the leak of development in battery technologies is three years wasn't enough to progress other technologies prove the opposite
      farid28 -
      it's not about the energy efficiency that Appel is concerned it's about coste efficiency cause with the use of iphone 5s display all the production setup is already established no need for spending money on a new technology manufacturing chain coste.
      abbdc1 -
      All they need is to focus how to increase battery and durable display
      Happy to hear from Apple that the iPhone last maybe 3,4 days of use
      Maybe in few years [emoji3][emoji123]
      Jon G -
      Actually as far as the battery is concerned, I read that the SE was tested against the 6s and outperformed it by 2 hours. I have no idea how good or bad battery life is on the 6s but was glad to hear this as I'm definitely leaning towards the SE if/when I ever decide to upgrade from my 5s. If this hadn't been released I'd be looking to keep the 5s forever. 4 inch screen is perfect in my opinion and I was planning to relentlessly resist going bigger.
      dsg -
      there charging way too much for it, imo
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
      Actually as far as the battery is concerned, I read that the SE was tested against the 6s and outperformed it by 2 hours. I have no idea how good or bad battery life is on the 6s but was glad to hear this as I'm definitely leaning towards the SE if/when I ever decide to upgrade from my 5s. If this hadn't been released I'd be looking to keep the 5s forever. 4 inch screen is perfect in my opinion and I was planning to relentlessly resist going bigger.
      What is it you find so appealing in the SE over your 5s that you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade? Or are you just saying if/when your 5s needs replacing, the SE will be a good option for you?

I remember reading the 5s was the lightest, most durable iPhone Apple has ever made. With the same design, plus more battery capacity and a better camera, the SE looks like an excellent option for those wanting a high quality, long-lasting smartphone at a reasonable price.
      Jon G -
      I'm in no rush to upgrade, but I'm glad this is an option for when the time comes because I love the size and design of my 5s, and am really not a fan of the design changes (or bigger size) of the 6/6s. I generally don't upgrade my device or update my firmware very often and will probably keep my 5s (on 8.4) for quite awhile still. The SE does supposedly blow away the 5s as far as speed and performance, but I'm happy enough with the 5s and agree that there's no need to run out and drop $500 to replace it. As much as it'd be nice to have, I'm also definitely not willing to lose my jailbreak just to get a faster phone I really don't need.
      sashusmom -
      When the 5s came out 2 1/2 years ago, the 32 GB model was $850. The 5 SE 64GB is $499. I think the price is great! The same footprint with many improvements.
      Jon G -
      There is a debatable difference though in that the 5s was the flagship device at that time and included all of the latest and greatest technology. I don't think the $500 is terrible but you're comparing it to the 2 1/2 year old 5s. I think there's a lot more to consider than how It compares to that. Now look at it next to the 6s / 6s plus, some of the features they have that aren't included in the SE (none of which are that important to me personally but I'm just trying to look at it from the other side), and the fact that it's the new "entry level" phone, and it suddenly doesn't look like as great of a deal as it did next to the 5s. Again, I'll still buy it when I need a new phone and coming from a 5s I'm sure I'll feel like I got a reasonable enough deal, but all things considered, I can see why some might argue that it's a little on the high side.
      Purple Minion -
      I just read the SE also has Siri always on, so pushing home isn't necessary anymore. That's a nice feature. All that's left is for Siri to get a hefty boost in AI.

Gotta love their ad featuring Cookie Monster. Hilarious!
      <Ian Nicoll/> -
      Quote Originally Posted by Purple Minion View Post
      What is it you find so appealing in the SE over your 5s that you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade? Or are you just saying if/when your 5s needs replacing, the SE will be a good option for you?

I remember reading the 5s was the lightest, most durable iPhone Apple has ever made. With the same design, plus more battery capacity and a better camera, the SE looks like an excellent option for those wanting a high quality, long-lasting smartphone at a reasonable price.
      I don't have a 5S, I have a 5 only, & she's lookin a bit rough, the rear of the phone is almost all scratched through to bare aluminium LOL.

I don't like big phones, it's why I didn't go for I6 or I6+.

The I6+ has been plagued with issues when running animated weather widgets yet my old i5 runs great, I believe the main issue with it is due to the very high screen resolution & not enough ram for its heavy resources.
      So an i5 size phone with new chipset & same screen resolution as 5S should result in very good performance.
      I want the phone to last as long as my i5 has so I'm choosing the SE over the 5S.
      Jon G -
      I just read the SE also has Siri always on, so pushing home isn't necessary anymore. That's a nice feature. All that's left is for Siri to get a hefty boost in AI.

Gotta love their ad featuring Cookie Monster. Hilarious!
      I have to admit I actually seem to like the Cookie Monster ad more than my 3 year old niece does. Haha! "Play me waiting play list... Dank you."
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by <Ian Nicoll /> View Post
      I don't have a 5S, I have a 5 only, & she's lookin a bit rough, the rear of the phone is almost all scratched through to bare aluminium LOL.
      For your next iPhone, I recommend a clear case by Spigen. It has a hard back with well padded soft sides. I've used other clear cases, only to have them yellow quickly and turn icky looking in back. For around $10, the Spigen provides good protection and doesn't hide your iPhone.

(P.S. I have no connection with Spigen.)
      rolandgabor -
      For your next iPhone, I recommend a clear case by Spigen. It has a hard back with well padded soft sides. I've used other clear cases, only to have them yellow quickly and turn icky looking in back. For around $10, the Spigen provides good protection and doesn't hide your iPhone.

(P.S. I have no connection with Spigen.)
      My favorite case. I used up 3-4 but no longer available on Amazon. On spigen's site is expensive. There are alternatives like TOZO .
      bigboyz -
      Shatter proof screen (should be standard by now) and at least 48 hours of battery life. I don't think that is too much to ask for :]
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
      When the 5s came out 2 1/2 years ago, the 32 GB model was $850. The 5 SE 64GB is $499. I think the price is great! The same footprint with many improvements.
      the 5s was a premium model, the SE is supposed to be a budget product; it should be cheaper
      bbrks -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      the 5s was a premium model, the SE is supposed to be a budget product; it should be cheaper
      Well, in comparison to the present Apple line up, it is, or am I wrong
      dsg -
      thats not a budget price bro, affordable aka: budget should be just that, a lot of people can't afford those premium prices. if Apple wants a bigger share of the budget users they need to drop the price

Edit: also older tech from the 5s should reduce the price more than it has, as the guy pointed out thats 2 1/2 year old tech; practically stone age
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook