• Apple won't sue FBI to find out how San Bernardino iPhone 5C was hacked

It is currently unknown as to how the FBI hacked into the iPhone 5C, there are however speculation that a device called 'IP Box' which is widely believed to have accessed the San Bernardino iPhone also is speculated that it can access to the iPhone 6.

Apple's attorneys have mentioned that they don't know what method was used to unlock Syed Rizwan Farook's iPhone 5C, the companies attorney have states that "normal product development would eventually address whatever exploit was used."

Government officials said they are confident that the method used by the FBI would not be a security concern for most users, according to ZDNET. James Comey, director of the FBI revealed that the hack used won't unlock anything newer than the iPhone 5C. Apple has began implementing secure hardware which would make it more difficult to crack into a passcode locked iDevice.

"This doesn't work on 6S, doesn't work on a 5S, and so we have a tool that works on a narrow slice of phones," James Comey said.

James Comey also stated "We tell Apple, then they're going to fix it, then we're back where we started from," he said. "We may end up there, we just haven't decided yet."

There has been wide speculation regarding a device called "IP Box" which appeared last year. The 'IP Box' which retails for around $300 U.S. dollars latches on to the devices power circuitry system and enters PINs over a USB cable. When a incorrect guess is entered, the tool cuts power to the iPhone's logic board before the guess is recorded, which defeats the 10 time limit Apple implemented in iOS 8.

However, Apple is rumored to have patched the hole in the older iPhone's with iOS 8.1.1; the iPhone 5C which was used by Syed Farook is rumored to run iOS 9. So it is questioned whether the FBI has chosen an alternative method or has purchased the 'IP Box' which have discovered another flaw in later software versions of iOS.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple won't sue FBI to find out how San Bernardino iPhone 5C was hacked started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Meanwhile, everyone who bought a 5c thinking it was safe just upgraded to an iPhone 6s
      back9player -
      but what they aren't telling you is that Cellebrite has teams of people hacking iOS day and night in Isreal. I just spoke to one of their reps the other day. They can hack more than just the iPhone 5C. They will even hack one for you, it'll cost you 14,000, but it's possible. Wake up people!!!!
      King_O_Hill -
      So the FBI only wanted to get into that one phone and that was it. Now they don't want to share with Apple how they did it because they are afraid that Apple will patch it and prevent them from accessing additional phones.

Something is not quite right there.
      unison999 -
      So far all the controversy is just free publicity for Apple.
      Now that the they only said 5C is hacked, people with 5C will upgrade to 6 or better assuming it is secure.
      Another win for Apple...
      When will people realize that there is nothing that is absolutely secure.
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      So the FBI only wanted to get into that one phone and that was it. Now they don't want to share with Apple how they did it because they are afraid that Apple will patch it and prevent them from accessing additional phones.

Something is not quite right there.
      It is all Apple's own fault, if Apple had hacked the phone they would know what to patch and have an update a week after.
      Since Apple will not do it even with a court order, FBI look elsewhere so why would FBI want to give info to Apple?
      If Apple really want that info Apple can pay it, just put word out $10 million for anyone who can hack into a iPhone. Help Apple secure it's own product.
      $10 million is a drop in a bucket for Apple.
      King_O_Hill -
      You don't think Apple can hack its own phone?!?!

What would they learn from bypassing their own security???

FBI should give their results to Apple because they only needed it for that one phone. If they're not going to use it again then why keep it? Don't you see that the government lied, yet again!

Get your head out of the sand.
      bbrks -
      Hmmmmm, maybe we should ask FBI to give us their exploit for a new jailbreak
      2Jaze -

FBI should give their results to Apple because they only needed it for that one phone. If they're not going to use it again then why keep it? Don't you see that the government lied, yet again!

+1
      javiert30 -
      Do you really think the FBI is going to tell us they can hack the newer iPhone versions? Of course they are going to deny it, that was the big issue after all. That sounds like a meeting or deal with Apple, ok we let you hack the iPhone 5C and you all tell the people you can't do it to the newest iPhones, is better to sacrifice the 5C than the next products coming. We Apple are safe now as the FBI, you FBI say that and I won't sue you. Ok deal.
      Caiden Spencer -
      FBI reportedly paid 'gray-hat' hackers, not Cellebrite, for zero day exploit in San Bernardino iPhone case
      King_O_Hill -
      The plot thickens!
      bigboyz -
      I don't believe it was hacked. Where is the proof that the phone in question was ever unlocked by the Government? I don't believe everything i am told or hear. Show me.
      bbrks -
      You really expect the Government, FBI or similar to show you something as a proof
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I don't believe it was hacked. Where is the proof that the phone in question was ever unlocked by the Government? I don't believe everything i am told or hear. Show me.
      Supposedly the iPhone wasn't "hacked". A piece of hardware was built to bypass the timer for wrong passcodes. I don't see that as hacked, more as a brute force attack. They really didn't bypass the passcode, the guessed it correctly. Is it a security flaw? Yes, but I don't think they technically hacked iOS
      NewD -
      Exactly.. ^ ^ ^ There's a difference.
      unison999 -

If Apple is so good at getting into their own phone, then they would not need info from FBI would they? Why even ask for information from someone you would not cooperate with?

No FBI should not give any info to Apple, and no FBI do not need it for just this 1 iPhone.
      If they had Apple's help they can just use it for this 1 time because they had Apple's cooperation if needed Apple will help again, now that they know Apple will not help then they need to keep this to themselves because bad things may happen again and Apple will refuse again so who will they turn to for the next hack?
      Get YOUR head out of the sand, world is not secure in real life and in digital life.
      back9player -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      FBI reportedly paid 'gray-hat' hackers, not Cellebrite, for zero day exploit in San Bernardino iPhone case
      And what is the source? And how do we know this for sure? You actually believe the FBI?
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      If Apple is so good at getting into their own phone, then they would not need info from FBI would they? Why even ask for information from someone you would not cooperate with?

No FBI should not give any info to Apple, and no FBI do not need it for just this 1 iPhone.
      If they had Apple's help they can just use it for this 1 time because they had Apple's cooperation if needed Apple will help again, now that they know Apple will not help then they need to keep this to themselves because bad things may happen again and Apple will refuse again so who will they turn to for the next hack?
      Get YOUR head out of the sand, world is not secure in real life and in digital life.
      Keep giving up your rights bud, see how that works out for you. I'm guessing your about 16-17, so you got some growing up to do!
      King_O_Hill -
      I'll just leave this here.

https://imgur.com/a/mdAWV
      Funken Ferret -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Meanwhile, everyone who bought a 5c thinking it was safe just upgraded to an iPhone 6s
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook