• Apple rumored to release iPhone with Glass Casing and AMOLED Screen in 2017

Securities analyst from KGI, Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new report that predicts Apple will be switching to "non-aluminium casing, with glass" which will most likely be used for the iPhone models starting in 2017.

If accurate, the design change would not apply to the iPhone 7 expected to launch this September. Yet would apply to the iPhone 7S, which to ModMyi doesn't make sense why Apple would implement glass to the iPhone 7S where usually the 'S' is more likely to be an inside the iPhone update rather than a new design refreshment.

KGI analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo states:

Apple already uses glass casing for iPhone 4/ 4S, and non-Apple brands have also been using glass casings. We therefore think a drop test will not be problematic for glass casing. A glass casing may be slightly heavier than an aluminum one of the same thickness, but the difference is so small that the use of the thinner and lighter AMOLED panel will compensate for that.
    Many sources have claimed that Apple may release an OLED-based iPhone as early as 2017.Samsung, LG Display, AU Optronics, Japan Display, Foxconn-owned Sharp, and others are said to be manufacturers of the OLED screen. Kuo said at least one model could have a 5.8-inch OLED screen with curved glass casing.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple rumored to release iPhone with Glass Casing and AMOLED Screen in 2017 started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      weazle23 -
      looks like going backwards in design
      SpiderManAPV -
      I hated the glass back iPhones.
      King_O_Hill -
      If it's clear glass, now we're talking!
      kuhndsn -
      "...which to ModMyi doesn't make sense why Apple would implement glass to the iPhone 7S..."

Apple could be thinking of changing the status quo. Or perhaps a special to mark the 10yr anniversary.
      xboxbml -
      No!!!.....please Noooooooo!!!
      peacedog -
      Pure speculation. We don't even know what the iPhone 7 will look like, and they are already making up crap about what the 7S is going to be.
      xboxbml -
      I know...I was just being funny...we won't ever officially know anything until they officially announce it...
      bbrks -
      I wouldn't mind glass.....back to the good old days of iPhone4 ...beautiful design...
      xboxbml -
      Eh...IMO just something else to break...I skipped the 4 models..
      Sage I -
      Bring on the AMOLED screen for sure, bring back the glass back not so sure that's a good idea... My wife and I never broke the glass back on either of our iphone 4, almost everyone I saw with a iphone 4 or a 4s did have a cracked back glass at some point though...
      XweAponX -
      iPhone 4's and 4S's had a glass back? I never knew... I liked the 4S, it was a great design.
      Funken Ferret -
      TECHNICALLY... It's not GLASS, but Ceramic. like SPace SHUTTLE ceramics. the kind that shelter the shuttle from the heat of the atmosphere. All GLASS is CERAMIC (Silicates, carbon and other trace elements), But not all Ceramics are Glass............... Silicosis is a lung cancer coming from glass blowing and potter's studios alike - if they don't ventilate the fine particles, and the fact that lightning and atomic bombs on beaches causes beach glass to form from fused sand is a misnomer... I almost prefer the term *beachCeramics...

LOL,. but cheers hopefully only a limited edition with less breakability, I like the aluminum better even if it is less heat absorbing ...
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook