• What ‘Smart Connector’ could mean for the rumored iPhone 7

The latest news of iPhone 7 rumors is interesting as Apple may not just get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and/or 7 Plus or Pro and may make users use the Lightning Port as the replacement auxiliary port. Many users have complained and have raised questions about how will you be able to charge the iPhone and listen to music at the same time with just 1 Lightning Port. Well many reports have suggested that the iPhone 7 will come with Wireless Charging, but we think that if the iPhone 7 has a metal casing it doesn't seem to be a feasible option.

So the iPhone 7 may come with a Smart Connector but what will the purpose be? Here we will show you.

External Keyboards

Similar to the iPad Pro Models. It could be used for external keyboards. On the schematics posted last week about the Smart Connector photo's showed that it is at the back of the device... so really it doesn't seem to be an ideal place for an external keyboard. The iPad Pro models Smart Connectors are at the bottom/side of the iPad.

Battery Case

Many have predicted that it could be used for a battery case. The Smart Connector would allow Apple to make thinner battery cases.

Magnetic Charger

The Smart Connector could be used like the Apple Watch-like magnetic charger. When I use the magnetic charger for my Apple Watch, I find it much more convenient rather than using a Lightning Cable and Port. The magnetic charging would allow owners to charge the device using the Smart Connector and allow users to listen by connecting their headphones through the Lightning Port.

We doubt this would be an idea from Apple however, as the Smart Connectors position is in an awkward position as shown in the picture below.

What do you think the Smart Connector could be used for on the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: What ‘Smart Connector’ Could Mean for the rumored iPhone 7 started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      Zokunei -
      I'm worried with the analysts going back on the waterproofing rumor, now saying the thickness will be the same, and no dual speakers that the only new features in the standard iPhone 7 will be a Smart Connector and a removed headphone jack! Sure the Pro model will have a dual-lens camera and better specs, but what does that leave for the iPhone 7 proper?

I'm really hoping they just make two sizes of iPhone 7 with identical features.
      crslaeme -
      Don't think I'll be purchasing 7
      hogcia -
      I'll deal with lightning headphones, but I do NOT want Bluetooth headphones!!
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      I'll deal with lightning headphones, but I do NOT want Bluetooth headphones!!
      Why no Bluetooth Headphones? I use them with my Apple Watch and iPhone, pretty good... except for the sound quality on the Beats suck
      MHmagic77 -
      Great Bluetooth headphones -- VMODA ...check them out. Seriously. Amazing sound quality...
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      Why no Bluetooth Headphones? I use them with my Apple Watch and iPhone, pretty good... except for the sound quality on the Beats suck
      Oh boy! My iPhone battery really needed something to drain it faster. And a dongle to charge and misplace, too. Apple sure is on top of their users real needs. NOT
      xboxbml -
      Well I just bought my 6s+ 128gb from Apple Store last week...one of the reasons was to update from my 5 64gb, the other was to get a solid usable phone with headphone jack, good camera, and good battery, Finger print reader/Apple Pay, all that will last for a good 4 years while Apple figures out what big thing they're doing next...I use LG HSB800 headset almost exclusively, but if they die, want regular headphone jack. Also would like to stick with lightning connector charging.. Have several around the house and carry one and one in each vehicle... I don't upgrade often so as to get the most out of my investments. Upgrading from 3G/GS-30 pin connector to 5 was a little more costly than I would have liked. Not much in the whole scheme of things, but obviously I'm more geared to the long haul with tech...I still have the 3G and 3GS and they still work..I take care of my stuff.. I like Apple stuff cuz it does last. I just hope they do take into consideration their customers needs and not so much their pockets...I know that's what big business is all about but I just hope they really get the next big design change right. Not just for the sake of change hype, but for USEFUL features. Will just help them in the long run...
      Steiganator -
      Beats do not suck. You're comment is overwhelmingly annoying. I bet you don't even own a pair lmao
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by Steiganator View Post
      Beats do not suck. You're comment is overwhelmingly annoying. I bet you don't even own a pair lmao
      His post is helpful and 100% accurate. Beats headphones use some of the cheapest components, yet charge outrageous prices. They aren't even comfortable. The sound quality is mediocre at best. To me that qualifies as "sucky". I'm very sorry if you got suckered into buying them, but you did get suckered. I personally compared them in my local Apple store side-by-side against the Bowers & Wilkins P7's. I couldn't believe people would actually select the sucky Beats instead of the B&W's. I guess people like shiny colors, paid celebrity endorsements, advertising, and following the crowd.

BTW, My local Apple store stopped selling the B&W's because they were showing up the Beats for the sucky headphones they are.
      dsg -
      beats are bass heavy thin on the top end and lack any ability to represent what the musician wanted you to hear

Beats suck

back on topic. The smart connector seems to be a good idea, removing the 3.5mm jack is a stupid move; imo
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Steiganator View Post
      I do own a pair of the Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless, your comment is unnecessarily needed.

Purple Minion is right, they use cheaper components to their competition... last week I was on an aircraft and I couldn't even hear my movie through the headphones they were that soft with the volume turned up.

I will stick with my wired Sennheisers thanks!
      Purple Minion -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      I do own a pair of the Beats Powerbeats2 ... last week I was on an aircraft and I couldn't even hear my movie through the headphones they were that soft with the volume turned up.
      The cause could be the plug. If your headphones have any controls on them, such as volume, then you have a four-part plug. (3 black rings) Sometimes the plug doesn't connect properly into a stereo headphone jack (3-part plug) causing a loss of sound. Or maybe it is your sucky Powerbeats! LOL
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Purple Minion View Post
      The cause could be the plug. If your headphones have any controls on them, such as volume, then you have a four-part plug. (3 black rings) Sometimes the plug doesn't connect properly into a stereo headphone jack (3-part plug) causing a loss of sound.
      They're the wireless model
      awareunlikeu -
      No head phone jack for my V-Moda M100's? Not buying an iPhone 7. Looking at HTC 10 now
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook