• Drivers in the UK Could Soon Store Their Driving License in the Apple Wallet App

Our smartphones are a one-stop-shop for a lot of different things, like tickets, credit cards, and more.

And it looks like the United Kingdom is at least considering letting driverís store their driving license on their phone, too. The Chief Executive Officer of the countryís Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Oliver Morley, recently tweeted out an image that shows a driving license store in the Apple Wallet app, right alongside an Apple Pay-stored card.

As it stands, Morley confirmed that the card stored in Apple Wallet is just a prototype at this point, and there isnít a timeline to roll out the idea to the masses any time soon. He also said that while the card is indeed stored in Apple Wallet, it is not a replacement for an actual driving license, but instead an ďadd-on.Ē

This isnít the first time a digital version of a driverís license has been seen. Back in 2014, Iowa had plans to rollout digital driverís licenses, which would be available in a dedicated app on iPhones. A pilot program for that initiative exists, and the company working with the government in Iowa is also in talks with 20 additional states to roll out the same idea.

What do you think of the idea?

[via 9to5Mac]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Drivers in the UK Could Soon Store Their Driving License in the Apple Wallet App started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      jzhu625 -
      i love the fact that modmyi always copy from 9to5mac.com
      thazsar -
      ⇧⇧⇧
      I love the fact that certain readers complain about the articles yet don't contribute ANYTHING to the community
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      What r u doing here? Why don't you just stay at 9to5.
      King_O_Hill -
      After almost 6 years and this is what he brings. Bravo!
      Rakim -

I Love the fact that you can always depend on someone to expose their psychological maturity by making a certain comment or statement.

I'm trying to find out at what point did article or story EXCLUSIVITY to news become the standard on discussion forums? News is News is News, we choose to get it here, and Caiden or anyone else for that matter could very well be saving us time by compiling all of the major stories here so that we don't have to go into other forums to read the same things there...... Ohhhhh wait, or maybeeeeeeee we are also members of those places as well, but when we are in them we don't complain unnecessarily or make disparaging remarks about the writers who are providing a service........ And in sync step with any other service, you ARE NOT OBLIGATED to partake....
      Go where YOU feel it's better!
      Sage I -
      Wouldn't have known as I've never been to 9 to 5 Mac..
      Sage I -
      I think it'd be cool to store your ID on your phone as a backup in case you lose or forget your hard copy somewhere... 6-7 years ago I lost my license while on Oahu and the only way I was gonna be able to fly back to Hawaii without any identification was by going to the police station and filing a report of a lost ID and hoping that TSA would let me slide. The Honolulu police gave me a letter to show TSA saying that I'd lost my ID and reported it to them but told me that TSA may not recognize their letter... TSA said that the letter from the police didn't prove I was who I said I was though and weren't gonna let me fly out, I opened Facebook and MySpace on my iPhone 3G and showed the agent my profile page and numerous pics of myself and they said that they'd never had someone prove their identity that way but ended up saying that'd work... If I'd had my ID stored on my phone it would've been much easier...
      xushi -
      I love the fact that Nikola Tesla was able to perform integral calculus in his head, which often lead his teachers to believe he was cheating.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by xushi View Post
      I love the fact that Nikola Tesla was able to perform integral calculus in his head, which often lead his teachers to believe he was cheating.
      I think youíre in the wrong forum.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook