• Facebook Forcing Users to Install Moments, a Photo Sharing App

In a bid to make more people use Moments ó its photo sharing and backup service ó Facebook is notifying users that if they donít install the app, all the photos synced from their phone to Facebook will be deleted.

Facebook is also notifying users through an email that they have until July 7th to make the switch to Moments, failing which their photos will deleted. Facebook had announced late last year that it would be shutting down its photo syncing service, but the latest deadline from the company is harsher in nature.

While unethical, the move has had the desired effect for Facebook and has pushed Moments as the number one app in the iOS App Store.

this moments thing for @facebook sucks
    Users have commented outrage on Social Media

Facebook had first launched its photo syncing service for iOS back in 2012. However, last year, the company replaced its photo syncing service with Moments that apart from syncing photos also makes it possible to privately share them with your friends or families.

Moments was initially only available in the United States, but Facebook recently expanded the service to Canada and EU sans its facial recognition feature.

This is not the first time that Facebook is forcing users to switch to one of its services. The company employed similar tactics to promote its Messenger app. It decoupled the messaging feature from the official Facebook app, which automatically lead to an increase in downloads of the Messenger app. No wonder the Messenger app has consistently remained among the top 10 apps in the iOS App Store. The forced switch to Moments is already having the desired effect for Facebook, with its downloads increasing by 2-3 folds over the last few days.

[Via TechCrunch]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Facebook Forcing Users to Install Moments, a Photo Sharing App started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      therandy -
      Lol, yeah I downloaded the damn app, and proceeded to DELETE all of my photos from Facebook. Self-implicating pile of garbage that it is!
      therandy -
      Oh....and then deleted the app from my phone. Did I mention that I hate Facebook
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Facebook and unethical!! No way!!!
      rolandgabor -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      Lol, yeah I downloaded the damn app, and proceeded to DELETE all of my photos from Facebook. Self-implicating pile of garbage that it is!
      Oh I deleted my Facebook App and account too.
      therandy -
      Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
      Oh I deleted my Facebook App and account too.
      I CANT DELETE MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT!!! My Cydia account is linked to it! I emailed Jay S. and he said if I delete my Facebook account I would loose ALL of my purchases! SO MAD! Should have used my google account! ::ragestroke::
      matakibiker -
      So...

If you don't install Memories, ONLY the photos that it's synced, whether posted or not, will be lost. Not all your photos... Not all your media... Basically it's like iCloud photo stream. Only the stuff in the cloud will be lost
      WHUDS -
      Facebook will fail one day!
      ComputerMan -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      and another evil force shall rise to take its place #thecircleofdeath
      timcki -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      that is what they said about myspace........ still waiting forthat to happen....
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by timcki View Post
      that is what they said about myspace........ still waiting forthat to happen....
      Didnít myspace fail years ago?
      therandy -
      Wait!!! Does MySpace still exist? Haha I would never of guessed that!
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      Wait!!! Does MySpace still exist? Haha I would never of guessed that!
      What about AOL's 'AIM'? is that still around too?
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      What about AOL's 'AIM'? is that still around too?
      Someone gave me an aim email just this week.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook