• Apple will pay hackers for finding iOS flaws

Apple said it plans to offer rewards of up to $200,000 to researchers who find critical security bugs in its products;

Apple provided Reuters with details of the plan, which includes some of the biggest bounties offered to date, ahead of unveiling it on Thursday afternoon at the Black Hat cyber security conference in Las Vegas.

The program will initially be limited to about two dozen researchers who Apple will invite to help identify hard to uncover security bugs in specific categories.

These rewards are currently offered by dozens of firms, including Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Tesla, and Yahoo.

What will this mean to the jailbreak community? Could it possibly spell out the beginning of the end?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple will pay hackers for finding iOS flaws started by blkcadi View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
      wesboy -
      To be honest based on the current jailbreak it's already the beginning of the end for me. I'm just bored waiting on a jailbreak that when it comes once again comes from a source that I would rather not trust. When it came from he likes of muslenerd, comex or geohot, these guys where Rebels taking on the almighty Apple and while they where hackers I some how trusted their motives more. Guess I'm a little paranoid about the jailbreak coming from China!
      Ben193 -
      they're desperate
      wesboy -
      They are obsessed with security
      jetsetjoey -
      Damn- they're behaving like our authoritarian government!!! The time is nearing to say goodbye to my iDevices....
      swifty7 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jetsetjoey View Post
      Damn- they're behaving like our authoritarian government!!! The time is nearing to say goodbye to my iDevices....
      saying goodbye to idevices means having to deal ****** apps, nowhere near as diverse apps, also major security risk. I wish I could say goodbye to idevices, believe me I tried. Android OS has its perks but nowhere near enough to sway me over. As far as jailbreak goes, it was very good while it lasted. Apple's strategy is to release an updated firmware next day to patch any new released jailbreak.
      Rcworship -
      Just wanted to point out that it's in Apple's best interest to maximize security. They're not trying to control us (well they're controlling what is available to us, and that sucks), they're trying to provide the most secure software/hardware package, and allowing jailbreakers to hack their software is bad business. If it's hacked, it's not secure-plain and simple.

And so it must remain, cat and mouse
      se23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
      saying goodbye to idevices means having to deal ****** apps, nowhere near as diverse apps, also major security risk. I wish I could say goodbye to idevices, believe me I tried. Android OS has its perks but nowhere near enough to sway me over. As far as jailbreak goes, it was very good while it lasted. Apple's strategy is to release an updated firmware next day to patch any new released jailbreak.
      Samsung KNOX
      Feanor64 -
      Yes Apple is trying to control us. Take the recent night shift mode for example. Really that's as creative as they can get? They hold back things for years and then release them in iOS updates. You can't even skin icons? I mean android does suck ok fine but geez at least you can change some stuff. Everybody has to conform with iOS. They all look the same, feel the same, down to the smallest detail. If that's not control I don't know what is. I keep waiting on someone to yell out during Tim Cooks speech HEY FREE THE IPHONE JAILBREAK JAILBREAK JAILBREAK!!! There are things they could do. They could sell themes in the App Store without compromising security. They just hate individual creativity. You know they do. Some tweaks are released YEARS before we see them in iOS. That's sad bro
      Silvio6 -
      Well done Apple ... They have found a way to sort the JB "issue" ... Any OS flaw will be reported now :-(
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
      Well done Apple ... They have found a way to sort the JB "issue" ... Any OS flaw will be reported now :-(
      That's a lot of $ to turn down.... just to give the Chinese the exploits that they release as a JB... Nice move, Apple. Very savvy. Appeal to our greed!
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
      Not really true.
      "The program will initially be limited to about two dozen researchers who Apple will invite to help identify hard to uncover security bugs in specific categories."
      Read here.

Apple offers big cash rewards for help finding security bugs | Reuters
      bigboyz -
      One story and people are ready to jump ship? Ha!
      peacedog -
      Quote Originally Posted by wesboy View Post
      To be honest based on the current jailbreak it's already the beginning of the end for me.
      Me too. iOS 9.0.2 was so laggy for me that I upgraded to 9.3 and gave up my jailbreak. I'm at 9.3.3 now and I've adjusted to the world without a jailbroken iPhone. And the fact that the latest jb is not fully un-tethered is not desirable.

I am actually surprised it's taken this long for Apple to offer the bounty.
      BenderRodriguez -
      The day that Jail-breaking is no longer a thing is the day that i go to Android
      Leolion311 -
      Going to start finding exploits in Linux.
      bigray -
      Ummm how about we pay for jailbreaks?? $1 per person is more than $200,000.
      DieselVexx -
      Who buys a fence with a hole in it. Apple is securing its software. I believe jailbreaks are a special thing. If you are lucky to have one you should feel especially blessed. It's just sad tho that hackers are apparently losing the fight but in no way is this Apple's fault. You can't blame them for patching a hole in their fence that once known could allow for all types of malware to be exported into.
      bigray -
      We know damn well malware isn't a big issue on jailbreaks and we know that's not the reason Apple is patching these specific exploits.

It's because people aren't using their product the way that they would like. So they try to control the people and what they do with their phones. I understand that piracy is a problem though

I believe if you buy a product you can do what you want with it. I can turn my lawn mower into a go-cart. I can add software to my xbox to have other features. I can smash my iPhone to bits or I can pull it apart and use the lcd screen for something else

So neither group is in the wrong but Apple are a bunch of sour pusses not getting their way.
      TuanAnh1004 -
      I think without jailbreak "ios" will no longer anything special. Now it wants to change the interface also is a problem for a normal iphone. haiz
      bbrks -
      I disagree, IOS 10 is not bad at all
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook