• Jailbreak for 10.2 released

    Well after loads of speculation - this morning we wake up to the newest present from Luca Todesco - a Yalu IPA Jailbreak tool for iOS 10.2 (includes 10.0.x and 10.1.x. But it's for a VERY LIMITED Phone set. ONLY the 6S, 6SPlus, SE and iPad Pro are included as of this launch.

    Unlike the buggier JB for 10.1.1 which included the above phones plus 7/7Plus this semi-tethered IPA tool, installable with Cydia Impactor, has Mobile Substrate included and fully working according to Luca and other early testers.

    I thought there may likely be some uniqueness to this JB - so I figured a new thread was warranted. Those of you who've made the jump - please tell us how it's going!

    yalu.qwertyoruiop.com

    Since I only own a 6 and a 7Plus, I won't be able to do test early. As soon as it becomes available for iPhone 6 - I'll move my 6 from 9.3.3 to help out.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jailbreak for 10.2 released started by NewD View original post
    Comments 641 Comments
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Jailbreaking is in its death throes
    1. nauzoi434's Avatar
      nauzoi434 -
      I agree!!!!!g[emoji24][emoji24]
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      Jailbreaking is in its death throes
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      Jailbreaking is in its death throes
      "Public" jailbreaks are on their way out. 10's of thousands of lines of new code are added each new iOS version. Exploits will always be there - making JB possible forever. But Apple's Bounty program was "well played" on their part - giving $50K - $200K for hackers to give Apple the exploits rather than develop into public JB. The funny part is us JB'ers only account for under 2% of all iPhone users. Maybe less.. we're simply not even a blip on Tim's screen. They keep closing exploits to protect their amazing security reputation. The US government switched from BlackBerry (if you can imagine that) to iPhone a few years back from what I read.

      Apple just wants perfect security. The same exploit that lets us JB our phones can be used to steal our personal data. Apple's goal is going after "security issues" - not to make our JB lives miserable.

      So JB'ing will live on.. but not public ones.. ☹️..
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      Why don't they just charge for a jailbreak?
      I would think they could make what Apple would pay them, maybe I'm wrong...
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      Jailbreaking is in its death throes
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Why don't they just charge for a jailbreak?
      I would think they could make what Apple would pay them, maybe I'm wrong...
      Because - as I said above - it's about security of the data on the device. They would open themselves up to too many lawsuits where some people who'd paid for open access and then got hacked would try to sue Apple. It just won't ever happen.
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Because - as I said above - it's about security of the data on the device. They would open themselves up to too many lawsuits where some people who'd paid for open access and then got hacked would try to sue Apple. It just won't ever happen.
      What I was saying is why don't the people who make the jailbreak charge for the jailbreak, not Apple...
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      What I was saying is why don't the people who make the jailbreak charge for the jailbreak, not Apple...
      Ah yes.. it's been suggested before… But not a very plausible solution as it would be pirated almost immediately. Way easier and more profitable to collect Apple's $50,000 bounty for giving the exploits to them.
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Ah yes.. it's been suggested before… But not a very plausible solution as it would be pirated almost immediately. Way easier and more profitable to collect Apple's $50,000 bounty for giving the exploits to them.
      Aaaarrrggghhh, matey!!!
    1. mgmm1's Avatar
      mgmm1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      The funny part is us JB'ers only account for under 2% of all iPhone users. Maybe less.. we're simply not even a blip on Tim's screen. They keep closing exploits to protect their amazing security reputation. The US government switched from BlackBerry (if you can imagine that) to iPhone a few years back from what I read.

      Apple just wants perfect security. The same exploit that lets us JB our phones can be used to steal our personal data. Apple's goal is going after "security issues" - not to make our JB lives miserable.

      So JB'ing will live on.. but not public ones.. ☹️..
      I have to agree with "public" jailbreaking fading into the sunset as well your reference to the 2% of all iPhone users being jailbreakers. I have been jailbreaking since my Palm Pilot days and no one in my family, co-workers or friends even considered jailbreaking. The same is true today. No one I know outside forums jailbreaks. My son even gave up jailbreaking since Apple somewhat adds similar jailbreak tweaks in the iOS updates. I am only jailbreaking for a handful of apps/tweaks like Acapella, EqualizerEverywhere, FoldersInFolders an Foldericons. If Apple implemented these, I probably wouldn't jailbreak anymore. Apparently, these apps/tweaks don't mean anything to the other 98% or so of iPhone users.
    1. Jon G's Avatar
      Jon G -
      I think a lot of them don't realize what it really is and what you can do with it. Also, for some I'd imagine it being too much to deal with. What feels like common knowledge to us can likely be intimidating or confusing for people who don't know enough about the basics like tweak compatibility, troubleshooting, etc. It's definitely necessary to educate yourself on that stuff first and for a lot of people I'd think it seems like too much work. For me personally, that's pretty much why I don't introduce more people to jailbreaking.
    1. Cadexpt's Avatar
      Cadexpt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
      I think a lot of them don't realize what it really is and what you can do with it. Also, for some I'd imagine it being too much to deal with. What feels like common knowledge to us can likely be intimidating or confusing for people who don't know enough about the basics like tweak compatibility, troubleshooting, etc. It's definitely necessary to educate yourself on that stuff first and for a lot of people I'd think it seems like too much work. For me personally, that's pretty much why I don't introduce more people to jailbreaking.
      I think people are misinformed about jailbreaking and believe that illegal and will void their warranty. The DMCA in 2015 added the tablets and Smart TVs to the exemption list of approved devices that can legally be jailbroken. See this article: https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...ry-of-congress

      Regarding warranties, simply restore the device to the latest iOS before bringing it in should resolve any issue. Furthermore, if you bring a jailbroken device into be repaired, it maybe restored to the latest iOS anyways as part of the repair.

      I think the jailbreak community has pushed the Apple developers to include a lot of the tweaks they developed, mitigating the need to jailbreak so you have certain functionality not included in the stock iOS.

      Finally, it's nice not to have to think about antivirus on an iOS device. Change your root and mobile passwords, disable SSH and a jailbroken device is just as secure as one that is not jailbroken.
    1. sand_man's Avatar
      sand_man -
      Battling to find a download link to Mach_portal. Any assistance would be appreciated...
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
      Battling to find a download link to Mach_portal. Any assistance would be appreciated...
      Why would u use MachPortal anymore when ExtraRecipe is out and way more stable on iPhone 7/7+?
    1. sand_man's Avatar
      sand_man -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Why would u use MachPortal anymore when ExtraRecipe is out and way more stable on iPhone 7/7+?
      Thanks, I'm being a noob. I'm trying to JB an iPad Air 2, 10.0.1. Been rather cumbersome getting it done. Cydia wasn't installing and then when I finally did get it to install it was crashing.

      Really a hit and miss affair at the moment.
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
      Thanks, I'm being a noob. I'm trying to JB an iPad Air 2, 10.0.1. Been rather cumbersome getting it done. Cydia wasn't installing and then when I finally did get it to install it was crashing.

      Really a hit and miss affair at the moment.
      You want Yalu102 JB for that device I'm pretty sure. Definitely not MachPortal..
    1. sand_man's Avatar
      sand_man -
      Agreed. That's what I've used but boy, it hasn't been pleasant! Having a number of issues.

      Search function causes the iPad to hang. Only a hard reboot brings it back and re-applying jail break state requires half a dozen attempts or more!!

      Man, I'm been battling all day with this. Won this iPad Air 2 over on another forum, it shipped with 10.0.2 which is good news for me but it has been a grind.

      PS used Yalu102_beta7
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
      Agreed. That's what I've used but boy, it hasn't been pleasant! Having a number of issues.

      Search function causes the iPad to hang. Only a hard reboot brings it back and re-applying jail break state requires half a dozen attempts or more!!

      Man, I'm been battling all day with this. Won this iPad Air 2 over on another forum, it shipped with 10.0.2 which is good news for me but it has been a grind.

      PS used Yalu102_beta7
      Yes. Everyone is having the same issues as you.. All JB tools for 10 - are buggy and take several attempts to get JB'en.. Just part of the territory these days. Little apps here and there being buggy.. Just hard reboot again. But BEFORE Jailbreaking this time go into the app that was giving you weird behavior and use it a few times.. making sure it's acting normally.. THEN Jaibreak. The weird app should behave now - in my experience.

      No such thing as 'simple jaibreaking' these days. Those days are gone. Yalu 102 has been the MOST easy to JB of all of them.. Little surprised to hear you're having such trouble.. BUT the iPAD Air was one of the last ones to get support.. Could be some issue there.

      But MachPortal isn't your answer. It wouldn't even work on an iPadAir. MachPortal was for iPhone 7/7+ only. Yalu 102 is your only choice.

      Good luck.
    1. sand_man's Avatar
      sand_man -
      Yeah, your assessment is fairly accurate. Thankfully things have calmed down now and (touchwood) things are a lot more stable.

      I did side load a tweak which appears to remedy the jailbreak enigma where multiple attempts are required to enter a state of jailbreak.

      https://vincedes3.com/spacespring/

      Bit suspicious of it though. Thoughts?
  • Connect With Us

  • Twitter Box

  • Facebook