• iPhone 7 users may see a stable jailbreak release with extra_recipe by xerub

NES 1.00 Release Candidate 1-xerub-extra_recipe-small.png

A new version of Cydia will come 'later tonight or tomorrow'

Lately, attempting to follow potential public jailbreak releases has been tedious at best and a downright rollercoaster of emotions at worst. Today is no different, with new developments happening by the hour it seems. Yesterday, a security researcher that goes by xerub tweeted the words 'LOL iPhone7 10.1.1' with a link to a GitHub project.

It appears that extra_recipe is a new exploit that will work on iOS 10.1.1 for iPhone 7 users. This should serve to replace the mach_portal jailbreak that has been notoriously plaguing the iPhone 7 since the beginning. This is potentially really good news, if it gets released, it could bring a lot more people back to the community.

Later, this morning, he tweeted again:

"Cydia version of extra_recipe+yalu will come later tonight or tomorrow. Support for earlier i7(+) probably by weekend"

Since there are a lot of differences between version of Cydia that are released for different jailbreaks, he has to modify it so everything will work for end users. He gives an eta of tonight or tomorrow but that is only if everything goes well, it could easily take a few more days to a week on top of that. While there is reason to get your hopes up, don't hold your breath.

It also appears that he's going to add support for other firmwares. He does mention that it will take him longer, claiming that he might get it out by the weekend.

Qwerty replies, confirming it is indeed stable, packages new exploit with YaluX

All iPhone 7 related issues should be resolved with this release, qwerty saying, "everything (incl backboardd) works." He has released an .ipa on his site, but he advises to wait for "the next one" as this version has some work that still needs to be done. It's also safe to use if you've previously ran mach_portal.

Summary

An exploit called 'extra_recipe' was released by an independent security researcher that goes by the name of xerub. It doesn't appear that he's released anything for the jailbreak community before this. He does have a few repositories on his GitHub page, including a version of Yalu102 that he forked in February.

Qwerty replies with confirmation that it's not only real, but a more stable solution than his mach_portal exploit. He then packaged it into an .ipa and uploaded to his site, even though he's recommending people to wait until the next version.

Nonetheless this is good news for everyone, especially iPhone 7 users. It also goes to show that there still is a lot of interest in iOS security. This should tell us that jailbreaking isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 7 users may see a stable jailbreak release with extra_recipe by xerub started by Josh Pasholk View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      steve-z17 -
      So wait, this whole exploit is for 10.1.1 only? If the exploit only works for 10.1.1 I can understand that, but if it works on more recent firmware but he's not using it on I feel like that's a huge waste.
      KaiTa -
      I use this version.
      https://github.com/xerub/extra_recipe

And this fix https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/c..._launcher_and/

Very very stable.

It sometimes takes 5 times to activate the jailbreak. But when it is activated, the jailbreak is very stable.

No kernel panics.
      Backboardd works.

So when the finished jailbreak comes from xerub, then it will be very good.
      Josh Pasholk -
      Quote Originally Posted by KaiTa View Post
      I use this version.
      https://github.com/xerub/extra_recipe

And this fix https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/c..._launcher_and/

Very very stable.

It sometimes takes 5 times to activate the jailbreak. But when it is activated, the jailbreak is very stable.

No kernel panics.
      Backboardd works.

So when the finished jailbreak comes from xerub, then it will be very good.
      That's cool! Thanks for sharing that.
      Josh Pasholk -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      So wait, this whole exploit is for 10.1.1 only? If the exploit only works for 10.1.1 I can understand that, but if it works on more recent firmware but he's not using it on I feel like that's a huge waste.
      Yeah I think it only works on 10.1.1 like you said.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook