• Jailbreak for all 32-bit devices released by Siguza and tihmstar, dubbed Phoenix

Oakland Raiders Theme-dsc_0341.png

Semi-untethered jailbreak for 9.3.5. All 32-bit devices supported.

It is a very good day for 32-bit device users. Siguza and tihmstar have released Phoenixpwn, a semi-untethered jailbreak for all 32-bit devices. They teased it a few days ago on Twitter and spent the next few finishing up with the remaining work. The website gives special thanks to Max Bazaliy and Luca Todesco, and credits jk9357 with extensive contributions and writing most of the post-exploit stuff. This a great step forward for the jailbreak community.

It is a semi-untethered jailbreak, so there is an app to side load with Impactor. The same limitations are inherent with this jailbreak as with the last one for iOS 10. Users will have to rely on the 7-day signing certificate limitation. Tweaks like Ext3ender aren't guaranteed to work, and will probably need to be updated. It would be best to hold off until the developers have some time to get their hands on the jailbreak.

The devices that this jailbreak has liberated are:

• iPhone 4s
    • iPad 2
    • iPad 3
    • iPad mini 1
    • iPod 5

There are a lot of users still on these devices either as secondary or primary drivers. With the news of the release, there will certainly be a lot of others dusting off old devices. The iPhone 4s is still arguably a good phone as a minimalist user, as long as it is set up right. With the release of Pheonix, all these devices are 'rising out of the ashes' so to speak. If users have blobs saved, they can downgrade to more usable firmware's or even use Coolbooter to dual boot.

The process for jailbreaking should be straightforward for anyone who has been following along with the community lately:

1. Download the IPA.
    2. Download Cydia Impactor.
    3. Connect your device to your computer.
    4. Start Cydia Impactor and drag the IPA onto the top field.
    5. Enter your Apple ID credentials.
    6. On your device, go to "Settings > General > Device Management" and trust the certificate.
    7. Run the app and tap on "Prepare For Jailbreak".
    8. Wait for it to respring, then launch Cydia from the Home Screen.
    9. Whenever you reboot, open the app again and tap on "Kickstart Jailbreak".
    10. Whenever the app expires, install it again with Cydia Impactor.

Exploit might fail a few times if it does just try again.

It is looking more and more like semi-untethered jailbreaks are the future for the community. While they are not as good as the classic untethers the community has been used to in the past, they are better than nothing. Apple's security has become so sophisticated in recent years that attaining an untether seems impossible for public jailbreaks.

It should be noted that gsc virtual dependencies were missing from dpkg. Karen Psai, angelXwind, posted on Reddit announcing it to the community. It looks like Phoenix is using BSD version of sed instead of the GNU version.

angelXwind on Reddit:
    The cause of this appears to be a packaging mistake with Phœnix 1.0, where the BSD version of sed was included as opposed to the GNU version, which is the de facto standard used in jailbroken iOS environments (as established by /u/saurik ).
    Do you have a 32-bit device? Are you going to jailbreak it with Phoenix? Sound off in the comments below.

Visit the Phoenixpwn website
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jailbreak for all 32-bit devices released by Siguza and tihmstar, dubbed Phoenix started by Josh Pasholk View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      ellersbee -
      I have every device made by Apple going back to the 2G. I will definitely try this! Thanks for the heads up!!
      Josh Pasholk -
      Quote Originally Posted by ellersbee View Post
      I have every device made by Apple going back to the 2G. I will definitely try this! Thanks for the heads up!!
      Right on! Let us know how it goes!
      primalscream.40 -
      Well I did my ipad2 last night and it worked perfect. Only put pandora downloader so far will try to put other stuff this evening
      NewD -
      Since 9.3.5 is still a signed firmware for some devices can we still get BLOBS for those devices for which 9.3.5 is the end of development firmware?
      pawa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pasholk View Post
      Right on! Let us know how it goes!
      iPad mini not working Phoenix 2 or 3
      jm26200 -
      hello all
      work good on my first ipad mini buy 2012 ....
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Since 9.3.5 is still a signed firmware for some devices can we still get BLOBS for those devices for which 9.3.5 is the end of development firmware?
      What would the blobs for an end-of-life firmware be useful for?
      steve-z17 -
      It's great to see people out there that still care about JB, but this does almost nothing for the main users in the community. The longer gap we have without a JB that effects current devices, the more we loose in our community...it sucks!
      Josh Pasholk -
      Quote Originally Posted by primalscream.40 View Post
      Well I did my ipad2 last night and it worked perfect. Only put pandora downloader so far will try to put other stuff this evening
      Awesome! I need to get some more devices to test this on.
      Josh Pasholk -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      It's great to see people out there that still care about JB, but this does almost nothing for the main users in the community. The longer gap we have without a JB that effects current devices, the more we loose in our community...it sucks!
      It does suck but it's better than nothing. It's a great sign that developers are looking at these older firmwares when they are 'end of life'.

Don't lose hope, there will be a Jailbreak released for the newest version again, maybe even soon. [emoji3]
      pawa -
      Not jailbreak
      "Provision.cpp:81
      ios/submitDevelopmentCSR=7460
      You already have a current iOS Development certificate or a pending certificate request"
      Woth dys not posible?
      rasputin007 -
      I upgraded my iPad mini, which was jailbroken on 9.0.2, to 9.3.5 and use Phoenix. Works fine, had to try twice but now have XenLS and XenHTML running with themes/widgets that use cycript code. Cycript does not work fully in iOS 10, but it does in iOS 9.
      The nice thing is that 9.3.5 is the "end-of-line" firmware for my iPad mini. So I can test and mess to my hearts content, always knowing I can at any time just restore with iTunes and use Phoenix to jailbreak again .... and again ..... and again .....

Fore sure having a auto-resign app would be more helpful, but because all recent JB's are 64 bit and so are those auto-resign apps also dependent on 64 bit libs, something you don't find in an 32 bit OS. Due to the age and low number of devices that can use this 9.3.5 JB it is very very unlikely that any of those auto-resign apps will be updated.
      iSteveO -
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa View Post
      Not jailbreak
      "Provision.cpp:81
      ios/submitDevelopmentCSR=7460
      You already have a current iOS Development certificate or a pending certificate request"
      Woth dys not posible?
      Use Cydia Impactor on your Mac/PC to revoke all existing certificates, then re-install the app using Impactor and that should generate a fresh cert & fix your problem. Good luck!
      pawa -
      Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
      Use Cydia Impactor on your Mac/PC to revoke all existing certificates, then re-install the app using Impactor and that should generate a fresh cert & fix your problem. Good luck!
      Niestety 1000 prób i to samo
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook