• New Education iMac Available, Meh

Apple has started offering a $999 version of their iMac exclusively for sale to educational institutions and the results are just, meh.

The iMac priced to go is available for educational institutions only, so unless you own a school, you can't get one of these. Also, the $200 in savings an educational institution is granted gets them a woefully inadequate computer. PC World has a nice run down comparing the education only model with a standard 2011 iMac.

Processor
    Education-Only: 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3

Standard: 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Memory
    Education-Only: 2GB (one 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Standard: 4GB (two 2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Storage
    Education-Only: 250GB hard drive

Standard: 500GB hard drive

Graphics
    Education-Only: AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 256MB

Standard: AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Those specs definitely aren't going to light the world on fire. Probably the biggest omission is Apple's decision to not include a Thunderbolt port. The decision is most likely a monetary one, but what better way to allow a new I/O to grow and become dominant than to include it in University computer labs across the country. These are definitely neutered iMacs.

While the $200 price cut doesn't seem like much, to educational institutions that will likely be ordering hundreds at a time, saving $200 per unit adds up quickly. Don't expect to see these in an Apple store near you, not that you would really want to...

Source: PCWorld
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook