• Do You Have Something Long to Say On Facebook?

Facebook is increasing their status update character limit.

Are you an avid Facebook user? Chances are most of you are and in that you know a lot of Facebook users. Have you ever tried to post something and it was too long to post? Well here's the synopsis: you talk too much.

Just kidding; the solution was actually brought up by Facebook themselves and they've decided to increase the limit of characters that you can have in a status update. The amount of characters that you can have now is quite astonishing. Twitter, like SMS only allows 140 characters per Tweet. There are ways around the limits like using TwitLonger or Pastie to get your point across, but generally that seems like an inconvenient method. If you're a Facebook user and you want to post more than was allowed, you could use something like Pastie to increase the length of your allowed characters.

Now, Facebook is increasing the character count to an amazing 63,206 characters. That's a lot of characters. I can't even remember the last time that I needed that many characters. In fact, I don't think any essay that I have ever written has reached that many characters, and I'm one who likes to talk a lot in essays. Google+ allows 100,000 character spaces, as Redmond Pie reports.

So why did Facebook choose to allow users to have up to 63,206 characters in their status updates? Bob Baldwin is a Facebook employee and he explains his reasoning in the following explanation:

I set the exact limit to something nerdy. Facebook Face Boo K hex(FACE) K 64206 1000 = 63206 :-) .
    Get your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and PC keyboards ready, let's see who types the first 63,206 message on Facebook! Let's make it an Apple device to break the record!

Grab Facebook from the Apple App Store today from this link if you don't have it already.

Sources: Redmond Pie
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook