• Siri at The Heart of New Class Action Lawsuit

If a teenager texts his mom via iMessage and autocorrect somehow changes the context into an inappropriate message (thereby causing the teen to get grounded by his mom), can this teenager then turn around to sue Apple for damages? Sounds pretty ridiculous, huh? Fortunately, that's just a silly example I made up. Unfortunately, this next example isn't.

On Monday, New Yorker Frank M. Fazio filed suit against Apple claiming false advertising. His argument? Siri doesn't work as well as the commercials suggest it does. So he's suing Apple for perpetuating a "misleading and deceptive" message. Fazio says Siri is “at best, a work-in-progress” and shouldn't be promoted as anything more in the media.

According to the WSJ, the class action lawsuit includes the following language:

[I]n many of Apple’s television advertisements, individuals are shown using Siri to make appointments, find restaurants, and even learn the guitar chords to classic rock songs or how to tie a tie. In the commercials, all of these tasks are done with ease with the assistance of the iPhone 4S’s Siri feature, a represented functionality contrary to the actual operating results and performance of Siri.
    Although, from where I stand, it's hard to take this lawsuit 'siri'ous - pun fully intended - the matter at hand is out of my hands. And the legal system must now decide if the lawsuit, which requests "unspecified damages," has merit.

Source: WSJ
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook