• SSD and USB 3.0 Performance Benchmarks for New MacBooks Released

It was a given that Apple’s Macs would be receiving performance improvements courtesy of new SSDs and USB 3.0 at WWDC. The folks over at AnandTech were able to benchmark the data for the two new features courtesy of a review unit of the new MacBook.

It was rumored that the updated MacBook would be receiving Samsung’s 830 series SSD. The report from AnandTech seems to be consistent as they narrowed down the choices to the 830 series as the most likely scenario noting the review unit appears to be approaching a read speed of 500 MB/s with a write speed of roughly 400 MB/s. Below is what the report mentioned regarding the SSD:

The same updated SSD is present across all of Apple’s lineup: from the MacBook Air to the next-gen MacBook Pro. Based on the model number in Apple’s System Report I’d guess my review sample features a Samsung based drive… I ran a few tests using Quick Bench to validate Apple’s claims. In general it looks like read speed approaches 500MB/s, while sequential writes are closer to 400MB/s

As far as USB 3.0 performance goes, there seems to be quite a performance boost from USB 2.0 from the early 2011 MacBook Pro model. Below is what the report mentioned regarding USB 3.0 performance:

USB 3.0 performance is much improved over the previous generation MacBook Pro. I used an Apricorn SATA to USB 3.0 adapter to measure copy time to/from a 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD. The performance gap between USB 2.0 and 3.0 is nothing short of significant.
    Those of you who waited around for an upgrade won’t be disappointed with the results!

Source: AnandTech
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook