I've noticed that this little ".DS_Store" file pops up in places all over the iPhone file system... Anyone know what it is/does?

Thanks!
    2007-11-24 10:59 PM
    Has something to do with mac I delete all from my phone.
    2007-11-24 11:02 PM
    if you had a Mac you would know, but nothing you need to care about. Just go to wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store
    2007-11-24 11:07 PM
    I've noticed that this little ".DS_Store" file pops up in places all over the iPhone file system... Anyone know what it is/does?

Thanks!
    You have probably anabled AFP and mounted your iphone on your mac?

The .DS_Store are files the finder creates when you view a folder in the finder to cache the icons and other file information. To delete them all in one shot, ssh to your phone and type:

find / -name .DS_Store -exec rm {} \;

This will clean them from all directories.
    2007-11-25 05:25 PM
    It's just some junk that Macs leave around.
    =D
    2007-11-25 08:59 PM
    kinda like the "thumbs.db" file that windows litters around?
    2007-11-25 11:12 PM
    what about the __MACOSX folders i see sometimes are they junk too?
    2007-11-25 11:59 PM
    I have the opposite problem. I want my .DS_Store files back!
    I had to have a new hard drive installed and my data restored. In the process, the initial "dot" got left behind; this makes thousands of DS_Store files visible. Their purpose is to tell the system your display preferences for particular windows. They are a GOOD thing!
    One of you wrote a routine to remove the dot so these files can be read by Windows. That seems to be a huge Google search topic.

How would you write and employ a similar script to peck through your directories and stick the initial dot back ON?

Unfortunately, I'm learning everything on the fly here. How would I get my Mac to run the routine once I found it?

Thanks, Mike
    2009-04-11 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD