Hey All,

Unfortunately, this is my first post, so please dont flame me too hard. I've went through the searching and tried to find answers to my problem, but still have the problem. Let me tell you where I'm at.

I'm trying to change the permissions on my Media folder so I can write Save Games for my NES Roms.

I have used Squid, and ran into the familiar problem with not being to able press the Allow button once my Write box is checked. I tried this with all of my NES Rom files and with the NES App itself.

I have used Mobile Finder 1.8.0, and when I would click Modify on a file or folder, then press the Write buttons for Group and Everyone, Press the Done button, and it would not hold the new Write attributes. I have also went back through the folder tree and went to the root Folders, and still did not hold the Write attribute.

I have used Terminal, and tried to:
    > chown -R mobile:mobile /Applications/NES.app
    and it goes through every file and says that "Operation Not Permitted"
    Once I'm in the Applications/NES directory, and I want to change the permissions on the NES app I tried to:
    > chmod 0775 NES
    and it kicked back another Operation Not Permitted.
    I also tried the chmod/chown commands on the Media, ROMS, NES directories and all returned a Operation Not Permitted message.

Alright, now let me give you my background info:
    - Windows XP User
    - Linux knowledge = Amatuer
    - Computer knowledge = High

IPhone Specs:
    - FW 1.1.4
    - Relevant Installs:
    -- Squid
    -- MobileFinder 1.8.0
    -- Terminal
    -- BSD Subsystem

At this point the Only thing I haven't tried is the Putty/WinSCP, but that is because I do not have a wireless network at my house or in close proximity.

At this point I'm begging for help. I am losing my patience and getting frustrated that I can't save my friggin Zelda game. haha.

Thanks in advance to all.

Frank
    2008-06-07 08:15 PM
    Install Open SSH from Installer. Also, if you jailbroke with ZiPhone, I suggest installing ZiphoneiBrickr fix. Supposedly it fills in holes that ZiPhone leaves when jailbreaking your phone.

I'd also get close to a wireless network and try WinSCP, it's just so much easier than any other program I've used.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.
    2008-06-09 11:27 AM
    i too would suggest getting to a wireless network so you can winSCP to the phone. that will make things quick and painless. If anything, just buy a wireless router, do what you need to do and return it.

What you want to do is get connected with winSCP and then change the owner to "Mobile" for the directory and ROM files.
    2008-06-11 12:20 AM
    i too would suggest getting to a wireless network so you can winSCP to the phone. that will make things quick and painless. If anything, just buy a wireless router, do what you need to do and return it.

What you want to do is get connected with winSCP and then change the owner to "Mobile" for the directory and ROM files.

I don't have any Wi-fi signal in the area so I have to rely on EDGE and thus WinSCP will not work. I have Drop Copy installed on my iPhone and I also and iBrickr and iPhonebrowser on my PC. I can't figure thise to work, please help. Thanks in advance.
    2008-06-12 06:19 AM
    sorry, i honestly have never used drop copy, iBrickr, or iPhonebrowser, i think you may be stuck if you don't have internet.
    Don't you have internet at home?
    AFAIK, it's a simple matter of switching the owner of the files to 'mobile' so the phone knows it can write/overwrite the files.

try this at the command line for your phone:

chown - Change the owner and/or group of a file or folder. You must be root to use this command.

Examples:
    sudo chown eva /Users/Shared/meeting-notes.txt
    ----Switch to root (see sudo) and assign eva as the owner of the "meeting-notes.txt" file in the Shared directory.

sudo chown -R eva:staff /Users/Shared/tmp/
    ----Assign eva as the owner and staff as the group for the "tmp" directory, and everything in it (the -R means change ownership/group for the folder's entire contents, not just the folder itself)
    (See find for an example of using chown to reassign all of one user's files to another user)

you will have to type in something like:
    sudo chown -R mobile /(directory to your ROMs, from root level)/

you may have to login as Super User, that will be your user/pass (root/alpine for most).
    Last edited by p.phresh; 2008-06-12 at 06:33 PM.
    2008-06-12 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD