Last weekend I had a wonderful time modding my 1.1.1 iPhone, heavily using the incredible resources of modmyi. Early on I saw information about how to change the white Apple start-up logo and the shut-down spinner, at least I think I did, but at that point I didn't know what I was doing. Now I'm ready to go after those too, if changing them is possible. The Apple logo is particularly irksome because of its "hairline" crack, which often startles me into thinking I've cracked my screen!

I'd appreciate your pointing me to posts about these two modding possibilities or letting me know if they're beyond my reach.

Thanks.
    2008-01-08 09:13 PM
    I've noticed a dir in Customize folder called "AppleImages". Maybe it will be later included in Customize options.
    2008-01-08 10:54 PM
    The start-up and shut-down screens, you don't really want to mess around with them.

Just be happy with the options you have already
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-08 11:08 PM
    Could you at least explain why "you wouldnt want to mess with that" at least?

I think that I would mess with it .. but I cant track it down.. Ive modded pretty much every single file that i could. including the spinnng thing on shut down and so on .... nothing is wrong ... but I think the grey apple in the start up is not a png file but more like something thats part of the firmware ?? or something else like that .

I dont think we should be telling people they dont want to be messing with something without giving a reason. Cause you never know this could be the next great modders in the works heh ..

im not trying to start nothing.. but i have seen alot of posts like "yeah you really dont want to mess with that" when I think we should at least be telling people why they shouldnt .. cause sometimes its just that the person has no idea how to. but there is always a way to learn

EDIT: the spinner files are in other.artwork file.
    Last edited by brokentwice; 2008-01-09 at 12:01 AM.
    2008-01-08 11:56 PM
    The start-up and shut-down screens, you don't really want to mess around with them.

Just be happy with the options you have already
    I AM plenty happy, and I'll be busy a long time with what's already available. Still, it's human nature to reach beyond our grasp.

I've done a LOT of sifting of my iPhone's files without hitting anything that alters the start-up logo and the shut-down spinner. They're probably in firmware, but that's just a guess. Concerning the latter, has anyone noticed a change in behavior/look of the start-up screen and/or the shut-down screen as a result of a firmware upgrade?
    2008-01-09 12:14 AM
    How often do you actually hard-reset your phone?

You want to mod for the sake of modding. It's kinda childish, and noob-like. Most of these cosmetic mods only make your phone look ugly
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-09 12:21 AM
    Ive modded pretty much every single file that i could. including the spinnng thing on shut down and so on .... nothing is wrong ...

EDIT: the spinner files are in other.artwork file.
    Hey brokentwice--
    I skimmed right over "modded...including the spinning thing on shut down"!! What kind of modifications have you made and can you post some examples? Wow!
    2008-01-09 12:24 AM
    The StartUp logo is part of the boot firmware and can't be changed now.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-01-09 04:12 PM

You want to mod for the sake of modding. It's kinda childish, and noob-like. Most of these cosmetic mods only make your phone look ugly
    Well I have to turn my phone off every day, because of work.

and as for the modding for the sake of modding, then you are calling every single person on this site or any other that is like it a "childish, noob-like" person.

Everything that you do to your phone, is done purely for the sake of it, It is not "needed" but it either helps you accomplish something faster or makes the phone more intune with your personality.
    2008-01-09 05:56 PM
    the mod that i did on My phone is that I changed the spinning thing to My face and its my head that spins around hah.

the files are in the other.artwork file. in there you will find more of the png files to mod.

As far as teh apple .. you can Get it to change when it Fades out but not when it first starts up.

EDIT: This video shows some of the things I will make a new video when I have a chance to show the other mods

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=3UnmqYI1h70"]YouTube - iphone hacked[/ame]
    Last edited by brokentwice; 2008-01-09 at 08:59 PM.
    2008-01-09 08:47 PM

Whenever a negative comment like this is made without even an obligatory "in my opinion", it just screams of ignorance and/or arrogance...

If everyone was a close minded as this, we wouldn't have so many asthetic improvements to the iPhone that the 3rd party community has provided.

And, for the record, the apple logo doesn't only show up when you "hard reset" your phone. It shows up any time you turn it on.
    2008-01-09 09:12 PM
    Could you at least explain why "you wouldnt want to mess with that" at least?

I dont think we should be telling people they dont want to be messing with something without giving a reason. Cause you never know this could be the next great modders in the works heh ..
    These are friendly warnings, not orders. Friendly in the fact that many of us have been there / tried that, and have found the hard way that the consequences of screwing with some components of your iPhone filesystem can be unfortunate. Now you can either take it to heart or ignore it, but people really don't "owe you" an explanation.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-01-09 09:15 PM
    the files are in the other.artwork file. in there you will find more of the png files to mod.

As far as teh apple .. you can Get it to change when it Fades out but not when it first starts up.

YouTube - iphone hacked
    I've looked for other.artwork without success. Where do I branch down and out to get to it?

Thanks.
    2008-01-10 12:50 AM
    Open MobileTerminal.

Type in find / -name Other.artwork

See result: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/Other.artwork

BTW, I'm pretty sure "hard reset" does refer to turning the phone off then on. Waking it from sleep doesn't cause the Apple Logo to show.
    Last edited by NetMage; 2008-01-10 at 01:13 AM.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-01-10 01:11 AM
    Open MobileTerminal.

Type in find / -name Other.artwork

See result: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/Other.artwork

BTW, I'm pretty sure "hard reset" does refer to turning the phone off then on. Waking it from sleep doesn't cause the Apple Logo to show.
    Thanks! Got it.
    2008-01-10 02:10 AM
    ...This video shows some of the things I will make a new video when I have a chance to show the other mods...
    LOL i like the sliding guy at the end of the video!
    2008-01-10 06:23 AM
    I was just thinkin about this ... couldnt you just edit the apple file on the firmware then save it ... then restore your phone with that firmware... come to think of it ... couldnt you just replace all the files on a restore file with all the files that you wanted to mod.. then when you restore you would have all the files that you want and had ...

hmmmm this should be something to look into >. cause couldnt we then pack up custome firmwares ??
    2008-01-29 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD