Being a Linux and iPhone user can be a pain in the backside because there is pretty much nothing designed to put the two together. I have however, been using Amarok (with libgtkpod support) for a little while now with total success

Then I upgraded to 1.1.3 today (from 1.1.2 OTB using the Dev Team soft upgrade) and all was well, except when I fired up Amarok to add some music ....... I couldn't mount the phone to do it.

I know that the Media directory has moved from /var/root to /private/var/mobile in 1.1.3 so tried to mount that directly but kept getting Operation not permitted errors. Tried to mount it under the mobile user instead of root - no dice.

So I did the simple thing and created a symbolic link to the real Media folder and voila!

So here's what I did:
    SSH into the phone
    cd /var/root
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Media

Now I can sync with Amarok as before. Happy days
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned
    2008-02-09 01:08 PM
    Good to see people contributing, on the Linux side. Funny enough though, many of the released windows apps for coping files and modifying stuff on the iPhone is native to Linux. Like SSH, Etc...

So easy on KDE & GNOME to establish a file session with an iPhone.
    2008-02-10 11:17 PM
    Good to see people contributing, on the Linux side. Funny enough though, many of the released windows apps for coping files and modifying stuff on the iPhone is native to Linux. Like SSH, Etc...

So easy on KDE & GNOME to establish a file session with an iPhone.
    True Need to drop a ring tone in? FFMPEG to convert to AAC, SCP to copy to /Library/Ringones. Job done.

The only thing I haven't been able to do in Linux is upgrade / downgrade firmware, but then that's why I have a work PC
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned
    2008-02-11 12:48 PM
    FFMPEG is sweet... Have not gotten a chance to install iTunes on my XP Virtual Machine, but that should cover the Firmware
    I also have that windows partition for those firmware chores.. Hehhe
    2008-02-12 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD