Hello,

Im using iPhone 1st Gen with Firmware 2.2.1 and unlocked with QuickPwn - 2.2.1

i have the old sms.db file on my PC but i can't figure out a way to put it back on my iphone, so my question is if there is a simple interface program to download that can read and edit iphone files on the PC.

THank you
    Last edited by gelal; 2009-02-28 at 01:27 PM.
    2009-02-28 12:57 PM
    There are several, all freely to be downloaded: iPhoneBrowser, DiskAid, iFunBox.
    The sms database goes in /var/mobile/Library/SMS.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).
    2009-02-28 01:54 PM
    thanks alot. would it be the same proccess to getting back to Contacts ? because i got the SMSs back but not the Contacs. any tips ??

Thanks again
    2009-02-28 03:34 PM
    Same story, the addresses are in /var/mobile/Library/AddressBook. One file is the address book, the other contains the photos you have assigned to your contacts.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).
    2009-02-28 05:44 PM
    Yeah, i found them at that location but it did not work like the SMS for some reason. When i reboot the phone, the contacts are still empty. could they have changed the Address Book application ??
    2009-03-01 12:19 PM
    I don't think so. At least the old ones must still be readable (I kept copying them at every update from 1.1.2 to 2.2.1).

Maybe the ownership or the permissions are wrong; this sometimes happens. Delete the two files; start the Contacts app which will then rebuild them (empty ones of course); close Contacts; then overwrite those two just-created files with your backups (so you just put the backups there without first removing the ones you're replacing). That should fix the ownership/permissions issue; if there is still a problem, then maybe the formats have changed.
    2009-03-02 12:54 AM
    Thanks alot, finally iy worked out !!
    2009-03-03 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD