Looks like a hardware issue:

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone

http://www.maclife.com/articl/news/t...riginal_iphone
    That article got deleted.

Thank god for google cache...i am not into wearing tin foil hats, but i wouldn't be surprised if apple had that thread shut down.

Since the announcement of iPhone software 3.0, the Internet has been busy picking away at its many builds finding new and exciting features. One feature the OS spelunkers don't have to root around for is MMS. Apple is finally bringing the sought after feature to the iPhone.

Well, not every iPhone, the original iPhone is being left out of the MMS party because of hardware differences. Users still connected via their first-gen iPhone are omitted from this particular firmware update feature. Apple stated at their iPhone 3.0 event in March that there are enough hardware changes from the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G that MMS and Stereo Bluetooth will not be available on the original iPhone. This has lead to speculation that the iPhone 2G can't handle MMS. After some investigation, we found out otherwise.

The original iPhone contains the Infineon PMB8876 modem chip, while its beefier successor uses the Infineon BGA736L16 Tri-band modem which allows for 3G functionality. While Apple doesn't advertise the innards of their devices, iFixit.com has made it their mission to perform gadget autopsies to see what makes our favorite electronics tick.

We asked iFixit.com if they believed the Infineon PMB8876 modem chip was unable to send MMS because of hardware issues. iFixit.com told us that they didnít think that was the case.

We decided to get to the root of the problem by calling up the makers of the chip--Infineon. We contacted an Infineon representative in Milpitas, CA to uncover the details. The gentleman that answered the phone kindly explained that there is no way the Infineon chip inside the original iPhone is incapable of receiving MMS since that function relies on software rather than hardware.

Finally, after browsing through a barrage of websites in a multitude of foreign languages, we discovered that there are two other mobile phone models that use the same Infineon chip as the original iPhone: the BenQ-Siemens M81 and the BenQ-Siemens EL71. Both of these phones contain the PMB8876 chip. While neither phone contains the multitude of features the iPhone boasts, both are equipped with MMS ability.

We contacted Apple for an official statement, the company reiterated what was told to us at the iPhone 3.0 event in March, "Now the hardware has changed enough between these two devices that not all the features will be available on the original iPhone. For instance, MMS and stereo Bluetooth will not be available on the original iPhone."

The company doesn't state that the original iPhone is incapable of MMS, just that the hardware has changed enough that it won't be getting MMS. It's those changes that could bring a tear to the eyes of original iPhone owners everywhere.

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone | Mac|Life
    2009-06-23 09:43 AM
    I bet the reason apple didn't release mms for 2g is so that swirly mms doesnt go out of business lol...I mean if you guys figure this out, what will happen to swirly?? lol tough love...

That article got deleted.

Thank god for google cache...i am not into wearing tin foil hats, but i wouldn't be surprised if apple had that thread shut down.

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone | Mac|Life

and thanks for enlightening us, they are stupid and were trying to get it to work thinking its impossible in the first place...
    Last edited by Mandizzle; 2009-06-23 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-23 10:10 AM
    In short Apple is full of deception on this issue as well as tethering with the 2G phone. I strongly suspect the 2G bluetooth supports stereo as well as all the other profiles we all accept as normal on a cell phone.

The real reason is that Apple wants to give 2G users who are at end of contract now a reason to upgrade. Also this limits their investment in regression testing software on the older 2G platform.

One question. Why can't Apple just be honest with the public?
    2009-06-23 02:02 PM
    Looks like a hardware issue:

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone

http://www.maclife.com/articl/news/t...riginal_iphone
    Sorry that link doesn't work, but the argument that it's a hardware issue doesn't hold water. How is Swirlymms able to do mms on the original iPhone if it's a hardware limitation? It just doesn't make any sense why Apple would claim such a thing other than wanting people to spend more money on their new product.
    2009-06-23 04:14 PM
    h.abdulhamid86 - Any news on the full system folder copy?
    update: it crashed my iPhone...and, i think im done for now. i went like two whole days unreachable from tinkering with it and having to do so many restores.

when i copied the system file over, my phone kept getting the spinny wheel thingy right in the middle of the screen. i am assuming there are too many critical dependencies to be able to change so many files while the phone is actually running.

other ideas are possibly transferring files in dfu mode or over usb instead of ssh. i'll probably try a few more things before i throw in the towel though...

i have an idea of adding a boolean item to Messaging.app's plist file in settings(preferences) in hopes to enable the MMS toggle there.
    2009-06-23 04:55 PM
    This thread is about enabling MMS on first-gen iPhones via Messages.app (not swirlymms).

Here is what i have so far:

I have enabled MMS settings in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network.

how? i modified M68AP.plist by adding a boolean item 'mms' and marking it true.

idk if it is simply just the form, or if it is functional. i have had people send me an MMS but none of them came through.

next up: getting the camera icon in Messages.app
    You said you have gotten the MMS Settings to be shown in the Settings...but not the actual camera icon...

What if though, depending on your Carrier..you were to fill in those required settings, (Username..etc.) as I did that on my brothers 3G and then rebooted the phone to have the camera icon enabled! It's worth a shot..

AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    User: [email protected]
    Pw: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: 66.209.11.32

EDIT: I tried this yet no such luck...yet strange how just entering this into the 3G enabled the camera icon in the messaging
    Last edited by mkblade; 2009-06-23 at 05:25 PM.
    2009-06-23 05:16 PM
    The company doesn't state that the original iPhone is incapable of MMS, just that the hardware has changed enough that it won't be getting MMS. It's those changes that could bring a tear to the eyes of original iPhone owners everywhere.
    In other words, without the clever wordplay..

The iPhone has been brought up to the 3GS now, it's been changed enough that we think the original iphone users need to uprade, sot hey won't be getting MMS in hopes that it will persuade them.

It's probably going to take more than some plist editing to make this work.. the messaging app is probably checking the hardware in the phone to see if it is a 3G or not, so editing the plist may activate some gui elements, but the messaging app itself probably won't play ball .. the solution may be in cracking the messaging app itself in addition to enabling those plist settings..

Just a thought
    2009-06-23 06:16 PM
    How about trying to just copy the messaging.app from a 3g to 2g? If it checks the hardware (mess. app) then we are screwed. If it doesn't, maybe it will work..
    2009-06-23 07:57 PM
    I'm gonna follow this thread too.. It's peaked my interest.
    2009-06-23 09:27 PM
    After getting MMS hafl working on my boss' iphone 3g. Got Camera app but they fail to send because I did not do the sim switch hack. I am thinking we just need a way to enable or get the mms settings option under cellular data network. Then those of us with t-mobile and a plan that allows it should just be able to put the settings in and go. I've been trying a lot of things but I cannot get the MMS settings to show under general-->network-->cellular data network.

I used the APN settings file from Cydia in conjunction with benm.at's mobile config to get that option on the boss's 3g..no luck yet on 2g. Also, when trying to put an ipcc file via SSH into my 2g, I noticed it put itself (The sym link) routed to unknown bundle....
    2009-06-23 09:38 PM
    I believe the Messages.app will need to be copied, the Preference bundles, and the MMS key added to M68AP.plist. You will then probably need to SSH or use iTunes to update the IPCC. The iPhone 3G checks and uses the N82AP.plist, which includes the M68AP.plist. The 2G only reads the M68AP.plist, even if they are the same. Adding the MMS key should be most of it, since the only difference between the firmwares for different devices are the features enabled/disabled and the hardware extensions. Surfing through SpringBoard.app, I've found audio files for the Voice Control system on my 3G.
    2009-06-23 09:39 PM
    How about trying to just copy the messaging.app from a 3g to 2g? If it checks the hardware (mess. app) then we are screwed. If it doesn't, maybe it will work..
    tried it. it did nothing. i also tried copying the settings app from 3g firmware to 2g. did nothing. i really think the firmware itself, as far as the applications are the same. there are just some settings files (e.g. plist files) that need to be modified to unlock the features. all of the png files for the camera icon in the messages app, along with the play button for a video mms and everything are present on 2g firmware (i have seen them with my own eyes). and people have been able to unlock them (i have myself unlocked the mms form under settings > general > network. and i have also seen others unlock the video-still toggle in the camera app).

i expect that there are some serious iPhone hackers out there who are familiar with OSX, and iPhone OS, and are hacking away at this problem us 2G owners are having (being locked out of features like MMS and video recording).

hope to see something soon. i'd love to see apple eat their words in saying that iPhone 2g cannot MMS. oh, and actually being able to send mms natively wouldn't be so bad either. =P

I believe the Messages.app will need to be copied, the Preference bundles, and the MMS key added to M68AP.plist. You will then probably need to SSH or use iTunes to update the IPCC. The iPhone 3G checks and uses the N82AP.plist, which includes the M68AP.plist. The 2G only reads the M68AP.plist, even if they are the same. Adding the MMS key should be most of it, since the only difference between the firmwares for different devices are the features enabled/disabled and the hardware extensions. Surfing through SpringBoard.app, I've found audio files for the Voice Control system on my 3G.
    just to bounce ideas back and forth:
    i've copied messages.app and preferences.app alonging with messagesui from private frameworks and the whole springboard.app too! i also added the mms key to M68ap.plist and that opened mms settings in Settings > General > Network. But inputting the settings did nothing (even had someone send a pic message and it did nothing).

Also, i read that there is a mms toggle in Settings > Messages that you are supposed to use to turn MMS on. i have yet to uncover that on my 2g, though 3g owners enabled everything by simply updating there ipcc.

any more ideas?

hmm...maybe we need to start checking footprints. for example, you can tell from N82AP.plist, that it looks to M68AP.plist. So maybe we can find a chain leading to the file that needs to be modded. places to check may be plist files for messages.app, preferences.app, and also the camera/photo app. Also having a look at the frameworks and private frameworks wouldn't help either.

Im thinking messagesUI.framework has to be some sort of lead, because that is where all of the mms png files are (i might have the name of the folder wrong, i'll double check when i get home).
    Last edited by h.abdulhamid86; 2009-06-23 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-23 10:10 PM
    After modifing the M68AP.plist as above, i can now enter information in settings > general > network >cellular data network, but the other switch in settings > messages called "mms messages" and "show subject" are not yet displayed...
    2009-06-23 11:41 PM
    does anyone know where com.apple.MobileSMS is?

somehow i have the 3g toggle on my 2g phone but im not sure which setting changed it yet
    Last edited by myke580; 2009-06-24 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-24 06:05 AM
    does anyone know where com.apple.MobileSMS is?

im getting closer, in the edgebundle settings there are alot of settings for vvm and mms. i change the UI settings for both of these to 1. now i have the enable 3g toggle switch on my phone.
    I believe its in:
    [private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences]
    if thats wht ur looking 4!

and good luck...ur getting there!
    2009-06-24 06:12 AM
    lol im getting closer but im having trouble figuring out how the 3g toggle appeared. i thought the settings bundle did it but its still there. now i gotta backtrack eh.. at least now i know the toggles are there. i see there linked between a plist file and a string file but there is something keeping them from being visible.
    Last edited by myke580; 2009-06-24 at 06:19 AM.
    2009-06-24 06:16 AM
    I tried to up date the ipcc file many times. It's no use. May be some hacks to make the phone think it's 3G???
    2009-06-24 06:24 AM
    The 3G toggle appears when you input any number higher than 3 as the value of telephony-maximum-generation. Believe me, I'm trying to crack this too. It's fun ^_^
    2009-06-24 06:49 AM
    Well haha were off to a good start and it is fun but frustrating cuz we know it's there and one toggle might fix it.
    2009-06-24 07:17 AM
    Well haha were off to a good start and it is fun but frustrating cuz we know it's there and one toggle might fix it.
    Thats usually the case.
    2009-06-24 07:31 AM
983 123412 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD