here is what i do. i used pwnage tool to create a custom ipsw for 3g. once jailbroken, it can be explored. though it is not unpacked, most of the files we are looking for can be found.

UPDATE:

ok. so we figured out that N82AP was 3g specific, and it links to M68AP (which both 2g and 3g iphones use). N82AP has an MMS key in it, which triggers MMS settings on 2g iPhones in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network.

I was playing with it, and renamed N82AP to M68AP and put a link in it for the original M68AP which was renamed N82AP. When i did that, it read the files like a 3g would, and sure enough, a 3g toggle appeared in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network.

this didn't accomplish anything, just got a better understanding of the two plist files and what they do (and more importantly, what they keys in them do).

i am shifting everything towards enabling MMS toggle in Settings > Messages.
    Good work but did it also give you the camera icon in the message app? Without that it seems we won't know if it's even working as we can't test it.
    2009-06-25 12:18 AM
    Checkout MessagesUI.Framework in System/Library/Frameworks. it has the png's for mms photo attachment.

its there! we just gotta unlock it!

EDIT: Nevermind. just realized the same pngs are in 2.2. maybe those are for the Mail app. x.x
    Last edited by h.abdulhamid86; 2009-06-25 at 12:38 AM.
    2009-06-25 12:31 AM
    Checkout MessagesUI.Framework in System/Library/Frameworks. it has the png's for mms photo attachment.

its there! we just gotta unlock it!
    I will, btw I tried doing what you did and I didn't see the 3g toggle under settings--messages...I went back to stock files and noticed that Maximum Telephony Generation was different in those files. One said 2.5 (The M68AP file) the other file said 3. So I changed the 2.5 to 3, rebooted and I have the 3g toggle under general-->network....on to the camera icon.

Also, I noticed that if I try enabling it, it turns back off right after leaving that screen. No big surprise.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 2009-06-25 at 01:46 AM.
    2009-06-25 12:38 AM
    So like even after enabling MMS to show in the "Cellular Date Network" setting, after entering the info and then going back just causes it to lose it and having 2 re-enter....

HOWEVER, I did not notice that on the 3G iPhone compared to the 2G, the file "com.apple.MobileSMS.plist" has somewhat of a difference, more specifically it states the MMS Options in Settings>Messages

Here is it is:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>ComposingNewMessage</key>
    	<false/>
    	<key>MMSEnabled</key>
    	<true/>
    	<key>MMSShowSubject</key>
    	<false/>
    	<key>MessageDatabaseFull</key>
    	<false/>
    	<key>SettingsVersion</key>
    	<integer>1</integer>
    	<key>UISuspendedSettings</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>UISuspendedDefaultPNGKey</key>
    		<string>Default</string>
    	</dict>
    	<key>WebKitPluginsEnabled</key>
    	<false/>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    However I did try entering these values in the 2G file..but sadly nothing happens, yet.

Any ideas?
    2009-06-25 02:38 AM
    I know this is kinda off the path, but I remember mms working on the 2g when beta 2 was around you would just have to paste it into the sms app. iit is possible to find what did that that may be what is exactly stopping it from accepting mms into the firmware.
    This was a great point. The early betas (2 for sure, maybe 3?) of the 3.0 firmware would allow you to copy and paste a picture into a message and send it successfully on a 2G iPhone.
    2009-06-25 08:04 AM
    this may sound weird, or possibly not,
    but what if its true the 3.0 firmware does have the MMS but when we are activating our 2Gs through itunes it possibly sends data telling the Apple Server & AT&T that its a 2G which causes it to be disabled during the actual activation process? I mean it could be possible...

what do u thnk?
    2009-06-25 03:05 PM
    what if its true the 3.0 firmware does have the MMS but when we are activating our 2Gs through itunes it possibly sends data telling the Apple Server & AT&T that its a 2G which causes it to be disabled during the actual activation process?
    I don't think so.

1. I did mine with my computer network disconnected, so there was no "connection" to apple or AT&T.

2. How would this work with T-Mobile? I have never even had AT&T service...

3. I don't think that when you do a custom ipsw using Pwnage that it uses the "activation" process. But I may be wrong...

But it is at least worth checking out I guess!
    2009-06-25 03:13 PM
    this may sound weird, or possibly not,
    but what if its true the 3.0 firmware does have the MMS but when we are activating our 2Gs through itunes it possibly sends data telling the Apple Server & AT&T that its a 2G which causes it to be disabled during the actual activation process? I mean it could be possible...

what do u thnk?
    I don't think so either. I've never activated through itunes because I am on 2g T-mobile. It's always hacktivated. That being said, even if it did make some change, I would guess it was a plist edit and not an actual code change.
    2009-06-25 03:31 PM
    yea i guess it makes sense of that not being it...when taking tmobile into consideration
    2009-06-25 04:28 PM
    I have been following this thread for a while and this is just something came into my mind.
    Can someboday get hold of a developer-activated 3G and Dtrace (or find an alternative to trace) the process of sending a MMS and see which files are being used? this way we are sure of the files are to be considered to mod...

It could be of no support but just a thought.

Good luck guys!!
    Last edited by ammadz; 2009-06-25 at 06:17 PM.
    2009-06-25 06:14 PM
    I could see the photobutton.png (tiny cam) in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/chatkit. I followed there by going through HexCode of MobileSMS and Applications/MobileSMS app. I have also been looking to see if the Settings->Messages can have that magical "MMS Messaging" option. I could get into the MMS setting and MMS Editing Enable, by following this thread.

Looking at Preferences Hex code, I guess he created the 3G_TEXT_GROUP and EDGE_TEXT_GROUP and we 2G guys are EDGE_TEXT_GROUP.

But I doubt, if it has to do anything with this. coz, with 3G disabled also, my wifes' 3G iPhone has the option of MMS Message on/of toggle at Settings->Messages.

This is my first time spening time on sort of modding. So, taking all the time for it.
    2009-06-25 06:42 PM
    I appreciate the great work you guys have been doing and would be willing to donate if it ends up working but i did have a question.

since att will only acitvate mms on 3g iphones how will we get mms to work on the 2g iphone consistently? The only thing i could think of that worked CONSISTENTLY for me when i had a 2g iphone was downgrading to 114, changing the IMEI w/ ziphone, and then upgrading to the latest firmware w/o the basehand upgrade. .......id like to hear other ppl's thoughts
    Same username on: hondatech, 7thgenhonda, clubrsx, orlandoforums, civicforums
    2009-06-25 07:02 PM
    I appreciate the great work you guys have been doing and would be willing to donate if it ends up working but i did have a question.

since att will only acitvate mms on 3g iphones how will we get mms to work on the 2g iphone consistently? The only thing i could think of that worked CONSISTENTLY for me when i had a 2g iphone was downgrading to 114, changing the IMEI w/ ziphone, and then upgrading to the latest firmware w/o the basehand upgrade. .......id like to hear other ppl's thoughts
    I use T-mobile and people on 3g have confirmed MMS when enabled, works for them so that's where I'm coming from. As for ATT, there are ways to make them turn MMS on without contacting them such as a sim card switch...
    2009-06-25 08:22 PM
    I use T-mobile and people on 3g have confirmed MMS when enabled, works for them so that's where I'm coming from. As for ATT, there are ways to make them turn MMS on without contacting them such as a sim card switch...
    im sorry i meant for att. I know the simcard switch works but it isnt consistent and somewhat of a hassle.
    Same username on: hondatech, 7thgenhonda, clubrsx, orlandoforums, civicforums
    2009-06-25 08:43 PM
    im sorry i meant for att. I know the simcard switch works but it isnt consistent and somewhat of a hassle.
    My guess is that since 3g users have gotten it to work on ATT as well that once ATT throws the switch it will work without the hackery.
    2009-06-25 09:24 PM
    I could see the photobutton.png (tiny cam) in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/chatkit. I followed there by going through HexCode of MobileSMS and Applications/MobileSMS app. I have also been looking to see if the Settings->Messages can have that magical "MMS Messaging" option. I could get into the MMS setting and MMS Editing Enable, by following this thread.

Looking at Preferences Hex code, I guess he created the 3G_TEXT_GROUP and EDGE_TEXT_GROUP and we 2G guys are EDGE_TEXT_GROUP.

But I doubt, if it has to do anything with this. coz, with 3G disabled also, my wifes' 3G iPhone has the option of MMS Message on/of toggle at Settings->Messages.

This is my first time spening time on sort of modding. So, taking all the time for it.

cool stuff! i looked into chatkit when i first started this but hadn't really gone in depth with it. but i went back and looked at it and it definitely has the files for mms. but how can we activate it!!! arg!!!

can you tell me more about hex code?

Q: has anyone noticed that the mms settings never completely auto-fill when you update the carrier settings?
    Last edited by h.abdulhamid86; 2009-06-26 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-26 01:08 AM
    hmmm... im using the 3g firmware dmg to get files but its missing alot of key files we prlly need.
    2009-06-26 01:13 AM
    Well I got curious so I started looking through files from the 3G's dmg as well. Here is what I found and I'm not sure if this will help and I didn't try anything either.

I went into the Carrier Bundles folder and examined the contents of TWO different carriers (AT&T US which does NOT have MMS enabled yet, and Telestra australia which DOES have MMS enabled)

looking at the Carrier.plist file and comparing it to my iPhones .plist I found SOMETHING that might be of help.

BOTH the 3G Carriers have an MMS (or Dictionary) in their .plists. The differences between these two (besides the obvious settings for their MMS apns, etc) is that under the MMS key there is a GroupModeEnabled boolean and on ATT it is "false" where as Telestra it is "true" I am not sure exactly what this boolean does exactly but it stuck out in my head since the carrier that already supports MMS has it set to true where as the carrier(ATT) who does NOT have mms enabled by default yet is set to false.

Also my Carrier.plist for MY iPhone 2G on T-Mobile US does NOT have a MMS key at all!

What I am thinking is that MAYBE adding this to the Carrier.plist that is applicable to your network (obviously) with all the necessary "children" of the "parent" mms Dictionary with the appropriate settings combined with other things we have found, as well as stuff we (hopefully) will find, will enable MMS.

If anyone has already tried this, OR is going to try it, let me know what the results are.

I just figured that adding string,booleans, etc to Apple's .plists might be pointless if the .plist that tells the iPhone what info to display/send/receive from/about the Carrier/service provider (which actually does the REAL MMS work ) doesn't actually have the info it needs as well
    2009-06-26 01:57 AM
    Guys, a quick tip. When you change your Carrier.plist entries, in order for the phone to pick them up, you need FIRST to delete two symbolic links, then reboot:

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences

rm com.apple.carrier.plist
    rm com.apple.operator.plist

(via SSH from Terminal or PuTTY).

These are again created, when the phone picks up your SIM provider and creates the corresponding symbolic links (found for each provider, under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/YOUR_PROVIDER_IN_WORDS_NOT_DIGITS)

I added some strings to my Carrier.plist (Vodafone) but the MMS settings don't show up in Settings>General>Network>Data (although having edited the file M68AP.plist). PLUS, I still can't save anything that I enter in APN/User/Pass.
    Last edited by mackonsti; 2009-06-26 at 02:37 AM.
    2009-06-26 02:34 AM
    BOTH the 3G Carriers have an MMS (or Dictionary) in their .plists. The differences between these two (besides the obvious settings for their MMS apns, etc) is that under the MMS key there is a GroupModeEnabled boolean and on ATT it is "false" where as Telestra it is "true" I am not sure exactly what this boolean does exactly but it stuck out in my head since the carrier that already supports MMS has it set to true where as the carrier(ATT) who does NOT have mms enabled by default yet is set to false.
    i tried this, but didn't get any results from it.

I added some strings to my Carrier.plist (Vodafone) but the MMS settings don't show up in Settings>General>Network>Data (although having edited the file M68AP.plist). PLUS, I still can't save anything that I enter in APN/User/Pass.
    the key to unlocking the form is to add the mms key to M68AP.plist. I never got the carrier file to actually input the settings for me, but when i manually input them into the for myself, they stay.
    2009-06-26 02:46 AM
983 ... 2345614 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD