User Tag List

It's me again, the man with all the questions

A while back I accidentally deleted some important files in Cydia while trying to remove bad sources that made it so Cydia would not open. Instead of rejailbreaking (which I am sure I should have done?), because I had so much on my phone and hadn't backed anything up, I just opened blackra1n and reinstalled Cydia.

Ever since then I have noticed that the packages that I had installed on my 1st Cydia install do not show up when I look at my installed packages. No big deal, right? Wrong The problem with this is that yesterday I got the dreaded frowny iphone face on my lockscreen (I did a hard restart and everything went back to normal) and it made me realize I should back everything up.

So how can I get Pkgbackup to recognize EVERYTHING that I have installed via Cydia (both on my 1st install and my current one)? Is there another program that I should use? I just want to be able to go back to my current state as easy as possible should I have to restore.

Sorry for the long blaaaaahg
    2010-04-01 11:14 PM
    What is the difference in the 1st backup and whats on your phone now!

Area
    2010-04-02 02:11 AM
    Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I don't have a backup at all. The problem is that when Pkgbackup scans for my Cydia files it finds only a very small portion of what it actually installed (things that I installed with my second Cydia) But there are many other things that I installed when I first jailbroke that aren't being found (things I know are there)

See my problem?

BUMP for help please!
    Last edited by headcheese; 2010-04-02 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-04-02 12:48 PM
    Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I don't have a backup at all. The problem is that when Pkgbackup scans for my Cydia files it finds only a very small portion of what it actually installed (things that I installed with my second Cydia) But there are many other things that I installed when I first jailbroke that aren't being found (things I know are there)

See my problem?

BUMP for help please!
    i did that too. so what i did was write down all f my modifications on winterboard, and all the icons and whatever i could remember and reinstalled it one by one. after that it'll show up when you do a backup
    2010-04-02 03:05 PM
    See I was going to do that but won't that create a second version of each of those files on my iPhone? Obviously I don't want to do that

I feel like there has to be an easier way!! I have so much stuff that Pkgbackup isn't recognizing that I don't really want to do it this way.

To the TOP :0)
    Last edited by headcheese; 2010-04-02 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-04-02 08:59 PM
    Narts is right!

Write down all the apps and open Cydia and find each and every one, select it as if it is the first time install and if it is good working app you will see a Modify button in upper right hand corner of the page select it and it will give you 3 options 1, Reinstall, 2 Remove, 3 Cancel, the choose reinstall and after install PkgBackup should see the app!

If you do not see the Modify in the upper right hand then you should see Install, choose install!

Its time consuming but the only way I know to do it!

Once your done run package backup, and once it is done sync with itunes and that back up will be saved in Itunes!

Do you know how to restore PkgBack Data from Itunes?

If not pm me

If you have apps that you have paid for you will not be charged again!

Area51
    2010-04-02 09:34 PM
    Thanks all.

But no one answered my question. I've come to terms with having to do this, but will Cydia then install a SECOND version of what I already have? I don't want to muck up my file system with doubles, you know?

Why don't you post directions on how to restore Pkgbackup data here? It's always better for us to explain things in a thread instead of PM so it is a resource for the next fool like me
    2010-04-02 09:44 PM
    Thanks all.

But no one answered my question. I've come to terms with having to do this, but will Cydia then install a SECOND version of what I already have? I don't want to muck up my file system with doubles, you know?

Why don't you post directions on how to restore Pkgbackup data here? It's always better for us to explain things in a thread instead of PM so it is a resource for the next fool like me

Well first of all you question Has been answered here but I is evenditly not the answer you wanted to here!

First if you do like I said and choose one app that PkgBackup has has not backed up and Open Cydia find the app and select it and thought you were going to install, one of two things is going to happen, 1 Cydia will reconize that the app you are choosing is all ready installed on the phone and ask you if you want to reinstall, if you tell Cydia to reinstall the app it will be reinstalled! That means you will only have one of the app on your phone! Second is Cydia will not find the app on the phone and will install if you want the app installed!

As for as any other instructions go to the Guide at the top of this page and find what you want or need!

A strong suggestion is you need to do things the way they are supposed to be done!

As for as "I don't want to muck up my file system with doubles, you know?"

Seems that you are already there!

They are many guides here!

Area51
    2010-04-02 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD