View Poll Results: Possible or not ?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

74 83.15%
  • no..

15 16.85%
    --INTRO--
    Okay, there are some people that feel that winterboard is a resource hog.

Another downside to winterboard is the skinning of UI. Sure, its easy, but the phone has to load all its standard ui found in other.artwork and then load your custom ui ON TOP of it. This means that on apps such as the Compass app, you see the original ui for a split second.

--BUT WAIT--
    What if we could replace the original images for the dock, and the springboard wallpaper, with a backup of the original if we needed to restore it?

This would solve our problems, right!? It would load the UI first, the themed stuff, and the backups would be hidden in the files, with a .bak extension.

Seems SIMPLE! would open a world of opportunities, saving on boot time, minimizing (if not eliminating) lag, and you'd only ever see your UI

Infact, it would be a stock iphone with all the bonuses of the stock, but jailbroken and themed (WITHOUT WINTERBOARD

--SO HOW!?--
    Well, I made it sound simple HUH!? Sadly, its not. Ive come up with a decent idea though, and with the help of some hackers this could be a reality.

We can already skin the UI by editing the other.artwork file. This is a great start, but a lengthy proccess. However, once people are used to it, itll actually be a better process.

We can also theme the dock by editing SBDockBG and SBDockBG2. thats also an addition.

Now for the wallpaper.. hmm! well if you were to go into the CoreServices of the iPhone, and find Springboard.app, youll see loads of stuff right? find springboard and using ifile open it in a text viewer. Search SBDockBG and sure enough it states exactly where it is. I've had a look, its complicated.

--THE IDEA--
    Basically, if you try to put a larger image in the dock, itll just force it to fit 320x91. Pain! but what tells it to do this ? theres something that is tellng it that if its larger than 320x91 it should be resized.

This is where someone else comes in. WOULD IT be POSSIBLE to find that code, allow you to stretch the dock to the complete screen, then you could use an image with a dock on the top of it for SBDockBG!

--THE APP--

If this is possible, id love to team up with somebody else, and create a cydia apps that allows you to load the other.artwork files, SBDockBG files, Springboard.app (modded) files and create a backup of them.

This would be so much faster and better!

--THE CATCH!--
    It's neither as easy as winterboard or as safe. ALSO, it involves a lot of hacking, AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW if its possible or not, its just an idea.

Im not interested in comments telling me winterboard doesnt slow down your device. This isnt the point, the point is exploring all alternatives. Hence why theres now Android on a 3G, why? so we can explore all branches of the iPhone tree, maximizing its speed, capability and opportunity.

Don't tell me its not possible,if your not certain. dont tell me rubbish about winterboard either, personally I like it, but like i said, im exploring alternatives.

Also, this post has taken bleeding ages to write, if you wish you were batman please hit thanks.
    If you dont but you read the last sentence hit thanks cos i wasted your time
    2010-05-16 01:41 PM
    Dan, this would be sick.
    My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation
    2010-05-17 12:27 AM
    Dan, this would be sick.
    Thats exactly what ive been thinking..

I mean, something in the springboards coding tells it the exact location of the dock. it also tells it its width and height, or the image would not stretch when it is too big. If, somehow, we could find a way to extend its heigh from 91 to 480, we could use a dock and a wallpaper on one image, all without winterboard.

Ive taken a look at the springboard using the iFile app, and its pretty awkward to interpret. If you look, it tells you the ratio and all that, but it doesnt make it as easy as 91x320, sadly

but its not impossible. i know it isnt. something is telling the springboard where the dock is, and with difficulty, it can be changed.

Its just finding that special someone who notices how..
    2010-05-17 03:25 PM
    this has real potential. sorry i cant help, but awesome idea
    2010-05-18 12:06 AM
    thank you! thats what ive been thinking..

ill keep working on it! so far i havent tried doing it via ssh, ive just edited it on ifile, so i might try that later to see if im missing anything :P

if anyone else wants to take a look itll be appreciated
    2010-05-18 04:09 PM
    well, good luck to you.
    2010-05-18 04:36 PM
    I doubt that this is possible, also voted no lol

The reason I say this is because in order for this to work you would have to extend dock background over pages, common sense tells me that it would not work, because if it did then you wont be seeing any pages.

I hope I’m wrong because I would love this idea… lets face it, the most important part of winter board or boss paper is the wall paper on springboard
    2010-05-18 11:25 PM
    but the dock is behind the icons, even in its original place
    2010-05-19 06:26 AM
    ^ Yes it is but ... well for lack of explaining this better look at it this way... if you theme your springboard background using Winterboard the background wont show on the dock until after you theme the dock its self or just simply edit the PNG file transparent (which is what any dock theme will do to make it transparent but just without actually editing the core PNG file). Now if you observe it in this way next logical thought would be that dock overlaps page background and icons as well… Still I am just speculating this based on what I just wrote…. I might be wrong but I don’t think that I am - this is why I don’t think you can expand the dock background over pages.

Maybe some of the very talented devs here can help with this…
    2010-05-19 09:29 PM
    point made.. :/

but we have no proof. the dock is under the dock icons, the only way we could find out if it goes over the other icons is to extend it. and if that was the outcome, we could somehow find a way to edit the arrangement of it,

its not impossible, just hard
    2010-05-19 10:36 PM
    Anyone started on this project yet?
    2010-05-21 12:31 AM
    ^ Yes it is but ... well for lack of explaining this better look at it this way... if you theme your springboard background using Winterboard the background wont show on the dock until after you theme the dock its self or just simply edit the PNG file transparent (which is what any dock theme will do to make it transparent but just without actually editing the core PNG file). Now if you observe it in this way next logical thought would be that dock overlaps page background and icons as well… Still I am just speculating this based on what I just wrote…. I might be wrong but I don’t think that I am - this is why I don’t think you can expand the dock background over pages.

Maybe some of the very talented devs here can help with this…
    seriously, I have no f*cking clue what you just said....
    2010-05-21 03:51 AM
    Ive*been*working*on*alot*of*different*angles*regar ding*the*avoidance*of*winterboard...*I*did*have*on e*recent*break*through*with*lowering*the*ram*usage *of*all*the*data*loaded*into*the*ram*thus*raising* the*free*ran*available...*However*regarding*this*p articular*point*about*the*dock*it*seems*possible*b ut*i*think*you*need*access*to*a*mac(which*i*dont)* which*makes*twice*as*easy*and*faster*but*windows*i s*limited*in*the*modding*department...*I*stumbled* upon*a*site*that*had*some*small*code*and*a*little* explanation*on*size*and*changes*of*various*UI*elem ents*but*ive*not*been*able*to*find*it*again*but*fr om*memory*it*had*something*to*do*with*SDK*Developm ent...*

Unfortunately*nobody*at*these*forums*is*or*that*iv e*noticed,*very*helpful..*As*in*have*an*explanatio n*for*the*problems*you*seek*answers*to..

I'll*post*my*work*on*the*less*ram*usage*work*when* i*refine*it*a*little*more
    2010-05-21 11:19 AM
    seriously, I have no f*cking clue what you just said....
    Really … Not a “f**k*ng” clue … I’m just saying that it seem as if the dock is completely separate from the page section.

On a serious not tho … what if it’s the actual page section that is stooping the dock background from expanding/? Maybe the page section needs editing/?
    Last edited by hadzo; 2010-05-21 at 01:57 PM.
    2010-05-21 01:53 PM
    "Ive taken a look at the springboard using
    the iFile app, and its pretty awkward to
    interpret. If you look, it tells you the ratio
    and all that, but it doesnt make it as easy as
    91x320, sadly"

which file where you looking in exactly? I wana have a look too... I'll post anything I come up with that could help
    2010-05-21 06:49 PM
    find coreservices, springboard.app and in there is springboard (it has no extension) edit it with a text editor in ifile..

post results

if we get a breakthrough id really appreciate just a little mention for this thread
    2010-05-21 08:01 PM
    Kind of interesting idea of making this, well, i'm working on something similar. Check out my blog for more about it.

fallensn0w iPhone Hacking: Annother project
    2010-05-29 01:08 PM
    interesting. make sure to keep us posted

BUT
    have u found a way to change the wallpaper? i cant find it at all!
    2010-05-29 06:43 PM
    interesting. make sure to keep us posted

BUT
    have u found a way to change the wallpaper? i cant find it at all!
    I'm working on it, but please don't message me here. I won't reply back as quickly as i would do, if you want to contact me use Twitter (@fallensn0w at Twitter) or YouTube (OlloX3)
    2010-05-31 05:56 AM
    If I do recall, there is a easy way to do it. I used to theme my device without winterboard because when I had my 3g, I did not like the slowdown.

I would personally imagine that a plist file is the likely culprit for your resizing of the dock and likely the background as well, but that's just speculation. I stopped my theme work just as 3.0 came out so I've been outta everything, last I was working on was the Keyboard theming with the vector data.

But, yeah I would examine some of the plist files. I know Massimo usually made a great tool for importing/exporting the files into .artwork, and that's what I used.
    JaydeTech-Themes, Tutorials, Hacks, Tips, and More
    I don't believe in charging for themes...but I believe in donations for great work
    Current WIP- Natural Theme
    2010-06-02 12:46 AM
49 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD