I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the icon labels without having to install Winterboard. I really don't want the overhead involved with Winterboard just to turn off the labels. Did some google searches and didn't come up with anything. I tried BossPaper, which again is more then I want to install and for some reason it didn't even work when I toggled them off.
    2010-07-18 07:57 PM
    THIS IS HOW TO REMOVE ICON LABELS WITHOUT WINTERBOARD FOR IOS 4.X AND LATER

keep in mind that depending on what app you wish to remove the label for, you will have to go to different places to remove them. I will say what kind of app, an example app, the file path, then an example of what you will change, the word in green is your label you will remove. you can do this all on your phone with iFile from cydia. always remember to respring for changes to take effect. please let me know if i have left out any other example with this method of removal.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
    Stock app type 1: ex. Phone:

/var/stash/Applications/MobilePhone.app/English.Iproj/InfoPlist.strings
    "CFBundleDisplayName~iPhone" = "Phone";
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
    Stock app type 2: ex. Camera and Photos:

/var/stash/Applications/MobileSlideShow.app/English.Iproj/InfoPlist.strings
    "Camera" = "Camera";
    "CFBundleDisplayName" = "Photos";
    "Photos" = "Photos";
    "UISettingsDisplayName" = "Photos";

/var/stash/Applications/MobileSlideShow.app/Info.plist
    <key>UIRoleDisplayName</key>
    <string>Photos</string> <---there's 2 of these strings in this file so remove both
    <key>UIRoleDisplayName</key>
    <string>Camera</string>
    3rd party app type 1: ex. Cydia

var/stash/Applications/Cydia.app/Info.plist
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>Cydia</string>
    3rd party app type 2: ex. **********

var/stash/Applications/**********.app/Info.plist
    <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
    <string>**********</string>
    app store apps: ex. Facebook

var/mobile/Applications/3004C0DF-AF28-41B3-9E4B-32E140F97529/Facebook.app/Info.plist
    <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
    <string>Facebook</string>

2010-11-19 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD