ok I just pulled off the SpringBoard.app folder from CoreServices and does anyone know if it'll work if I just replace the original? Is it safe to try? Here is what I'd like to start off to see if it works. I resized it to the dimensions from the original.
    Attached Thumbnails Change Boot Logo on i4-applelogo-2x.png  
    2010-08-12 05:25 PM
    I researched to see why my 3GS screen was pixelated at startup and read that it is pixelated because it allows the phone to boot untethered. So, I wouldn't change it because it might mess up your booting. If you have shsh blobs, go for it, you can always restore and jailbreak.
    2010-08-13 07:38 AM
    I dont believe that is the boot logo.
    have tried it in the past, did not work.
    boot logo is an .img3 file or something I dont think we can get at either with the new comex userland exploit. would need custom firmware built.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter
    2010-08-14 05:26 AM
    The bootlogo is located in iBoot. The jailbreak happens AFTER the phone boots up so it's not possible to change it.
    2010-08-14 05:28 AM
    I know that applications like redsn0w and sn0wbreeze can change the boot logo when jailbreaking (presumably be changing the firmware).

But last time I updated the firmware (admittedly, using Apple's official iOS 4 update) all my apps and music had to be re-synced. I do have aptbackup installed and my legit apps stored on my computer, but is there a way to change the firmware with redsn0w/sn0wbreeze without losing the other data?

-IMP
    2010-08-14 09:16 AM
    I know that applications like redsn0w and sn0wbreeze can change the boot logo when jailbreaking
    I think that only works with 3.1.2 now.
    2010-08-14 04:22 PM
    Are you sure? I was about 65%-70% sure it worked on iOS 4...

-IMP
    2010-08-16 05:09 AM
    It does work on ios 4 but not on iP4
    2010-08-16 06:26 AM
    I'm going to explain why userland jailbreaks can't have custom boot logos and why they can't restore to custom firmware.

When your device is given power, the device's bootrom is mapped to an address in the RAM. Then the bootrom signature checks LLB. LLB is then overwritten on top of the Bootrom. Then LLB signature checks iBoot.

In order to display a custom boot logo, iBoot needs to be patched. However, if LLB detects that iBoot is pwned, it will enter a DFU loop. If you didn't pwn iBoot but added a custom bootlogo, You would see a black screen instead of a custom logo because custom logos are not signed code.

Why not pwn LLB? Well, all devices except the 3GS (New Bootrom)/iPad/iPhone 4/iPod 3 cannot because the bootrom can detect that LLB is not valid, and therefore enter a DFU loop. However, All other devices have an exploit available to bypass the check.

Those devices include the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS (old bootrom) & iPod Touch 1G/2G (MB).

Awhile ago, when Spirit came out. msft.guy developed Spirit2Pwn which allowed devices listed above to accept Custom Firmwares or Custom Boot logos. Surely, this can easily be upgraded to work on 4.0 for those devices above, but not with the new ones. Why?

Spirit2Pwn basically flashes the NOR which contains your BootLogos/LLB/iBoot/and more. Remember, if new bootrom devices have an invalidated LLB, it will enter a DFU loop. Not allowing the device to boot until a restore.

So people with an iPhone 3GS (new bootrom)/iPod Touch 2G (MC)/iPod Touch 3/iPad/iPhone 4 cannot have custom boot logos at this time.

For those of you that want to throw caution to the wind and are interested in flashing your NOR manually to allow for custom firms and boot logo's let me know. I have not tried it on jailbreakme JB though and don't think it will work due to different lines of code/security. I have used it with ios4 with the old spirit jb and it worked without any problems (obviously or I would not of had the ability to have ios4 loaded!).
    Last edited by DinoBravo; 2010-08-17 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-17 12:23 AM
    ^
    ^
    |
    |
    |

12 posts....Whats jailbreak?

exactly what he said.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter
    2010-08-17 01:27 AM
    ^
    ^
    |
    |
    |

12 posts....Whats jailbreak?

exactly what he said.
    Glad you had something to add. Shot on by xsellize, senior member there and see if I know what i'm talking about slick!! Prob have over 700 posts and 300 thank you's what can we say about you, with your 211 and 13 not such a great average pal.
    2010-08-17 01:46 AM
    i think he was trying to compliment you. he obviously didn't know you so he was saying that the guy with 12 posts and What's jailbreak knew exactly what he was talking about...anyway titles and post counts don't matter at all...
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.
    2010-08-17 01:59 AM
    In that case my bad and I agree re post and title. Not sure why I got so irritated by it either, I think I have some issues lol
    2010-08-17 02:02 AM
    I'm going to explain why userland jailbreaks can't have custom boot logos and why they can't restore to custom firmware.

When your device is given power, the device's bootrom is mapped to an address in the RAM. Then the bootrom signature checks LLB. LLB is then overwritten on top of the Bootrom. Then LLB signature checks iBoot.

In order to display a custom boot logo, iBoot needs to be patched. However, if LLB detects that iBoot is pwned, it will enter a DFU loop. If you didn't pwn iBoot but added a custom bootlogo, You would see a black screen instead of a custom logo because custom logos are not signed code.

Why not pwn LLB? Well, all devices except the 3GS (New Bootrom)/iPad/iPhone 4/iPod 3 cannot because the bootrom can detect that LLB is not valid, and therefore enter a DFU loop. However, All other devices have an exploit available to bypass the check.

Those devices include the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS (old bootrom) & iPod Touch 1G/2G (MB).

Awhile ago, when Spirit came out. msft.guy developed Spirit2Pwn which allowed devices listed above to accept Custom Firmwares or Custom Boot logos. Surely, this can easily be upgraded to work on 4.0 for those devices above, but not with the new ones. Why?

Spirit2Pwn basically flashes the NOR which contains your BootLogos/LLB/iBoot/and more. Remember, if new bootrom devices have an invalidated LLB, it will enter a DFU loop. Not allowing the device to boot until a restore.

So people with an iPhone 3GS (new bootrom)/iPod Touch 2G (MC)/iPod Touch 3/iPad/iPhone 4 cannot have custom boot logos at this time.

For those of you that want to throw caution to the wind and are interested in flashing your NOR manually to allow for custom firms and boot logo's let me know. I have not tried it on jailbreakme JB though and don't think it will work due to different lines of code/security. I have used it with ios4 with the old spirit jb and it worked without any problems (obviously or I would not of had the ability to have ios4 loaded!).
    Disappointing but thanks anyway. Now I won't waste my time trying to figure out how to do this.
    2010-08-17 02:03 AM
    Disappointing but thanks anyway. Now I won't waste my time trying to figure out how to do this.
    Meant to hit quote and and hit the thanks instead so, there ya go.

If you're dead set on changing your boot logo and you're on one of the devices I listed that can except custom boot's you can throw your phone back on 3.1.3 0r 3.1.2 JB with Spirit, flash your NOR then throw on a custom ipsw for 4.0 (or soon to be out custom ipsw for 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 - sn0wbreeze 2.0 which should be released in the next few days). You can build in custom boot's into the ipsw and/or once installed you can always just flash in a boot logo anytime you choose as well.
    2010-08-17 02:12 AM
    Meant to hit quote and and hit the thanks instead so, there ya go.

If you're dead set on changing your boot logo and you're on one of the devices I listed that can except custom boot's you can throw your phone back on 3.1.3 0r 3.1.2 JB with Spirit, flash your NOR then throw on a custom ipsw for 4.0 (or soon to be out custom ipsw for 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 - sn0wbreeze 2.0 which should be released in the next few days). You can build in custom boot's into the ipsw and/or once installed you can always just flash in a boot logo anytime you choose as well.
    lol! Wondered who would thank a noob like me, especially as I've mostly posted questions. Though I have tried to help those when I've come across a problem I'd already found a solution to.

Unfortunately, don't think going back to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 is an option for me. Only started jb'ing with jailbreak me, no blobs for anything prior 4.0. Also 3GS new boot so no go for me. My phone was damaged and I got a replacement which happened to be new boot. My husband still has his old boot so he is very pleased with his pwned logo.

It has been a VERY steep learning curve.

Off topic but maybe you can help, I am looking for a way to remove the shadow (I think that's what it is) on the font in the status bar that shows when you are in an app. I keep reading about changing the TimeStyle key but either I am doing something wrong or it doesn't work anymore in ios 4. Probably the first one but I am stuck and it's very frustrating. I've got a custom font, I just want it to stay white like it is on the homescreen and lockscreen. Doesn't seem like a big ask, the style is obviously already there. Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers for the help.
    Last edited by Suevans; 2010-08-17 at 12:16 PM.
    2010-08-17 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD