I have an iPhone 4, 4.0.1, and it's jailbroken. I know how to replace an sms tone by renaming it to an existing one and it'll take the place of that sms tone.

Questions: Can I add MORE sms tones??? And if or if not, can I rename my existing ringtones?
    The only thing that threatens my humanity... is, none other than, reality.
    2010-09-09 08:37 AM
    I am unaware of any way to add additional sms tones. You can rename existing ringtones, you just have to convert them to caf files. I want to say that you actually just have to change the file extension on them but don't hold me to it. I used to do it a while back, it's a very easy thing to do. Just google converting mp3 or m4r to caf.
    2010-09-09 08:43 AM
    Right. I know how to convert the files and upload them. But there has to be a way to rename the phone file to read it as "R2-D2 SMS" rather than "electronic".
    2010-09-11 06:31 AM
    open an mp3 in quicktime, and Export > Sound to AIFF. then just change the extension to .caf then with iphone browser, browse to the UI sounds directory in the iphone (/system/library/audio/UIsounds)and replace whatever one you want replaced. you don't even have to rename it accordingly, it will replace.

i think you may need quicktime pro to export though.
    2010-09-11 06:27 PM
    I'm pretty sure they all have to be named smsrecieved-1-6.caf to work. You can easily make them in iTunes by importing your sound file by way of aiff encoding in the iTunes import setting. Then just find them in Explorer/Finder and change the extension to .caf
    HK-Z on Game Center
    2010-09-11 06:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure they all have to be named smsrecieved-1-6.caf to work. You can easily make them in iTunes by importing your sound file by way of aiff encoding in the iTunes import setting. Then just find them in Explorer/Finder and change the extension to .caf
    nope, dont have to rename them if you replace them with iphone browser. ive done it many times. just hit replace and it will replace it on your phone.
    2010-09-11 06:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. But....

I know how to convert the file to .aif and then to .caf. I know how to uplaod the file via iPhone browser. I know that you don't HAVE to rename the file. What I wanna know is.....

Is there a way to have 7, 8, 9, or 10 sms choices? And either way, if I can or cannot, can I rename the read file on my phone so that when I choose an sms tone instead of it saying...

None
    Tri-tone
    Chime
    Glass
    Horn
    Bell
    Electronic

It says...

None
    Shitballs
    Transformers Sound
    Cartman
    Family Guy
    Heroes
    Engine Roar

???
    2010-09-11 08:30 PM
    im pretty sure there should be a plist file with all those sms tone names, ill have a look for it and let you know, so should be able to just change the names in the plist file, or just add more to it.
    2010-09-11 08:33 PM
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks! Where might that file be?
    2010-09-11 09:16 PM
    im pretty sure there should be a plist file with all those sms tone names, ill have a look for it and let you know, so should be able to just change the names in the plist file, or just add more to it.
    Ever find that file?
    2011-03-01 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD