1. Legaldose's Avatar
    A thousand apologies if this is in the wrong section. I've got a new theme that I'm working on and I seem to have to have created a problem that I cannot seem to fix :

    I edited my SpringBoard.strings plist a couple days ago to get rid of the slide to unlock text and to add custom text in the search bar on the left most screen. Everything worked fine but today I changed a few things on it, and I saved it and SSH'd it into the ipod but when I resprung this happened.

    SpringBoard.strings Unknown Issue-.png

    And the search bar text didn't change. My current (messed up) SpringBoard.strings looks like this:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <string> </string>
    <string> </string>
    <string> </string>
    I know you don't have to list every string because my last .strings file was formatted the same. I've saved SpringBoard.strings inside English.lproj as well as en.lproj and neither seem to work. I have even taken the default SpringBoard.strings from /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and edited it, but to no avail. I've come to the conclusion that it must be a code error. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

    I've got a jailbroken iTouch 2G MC model on iOS 4.2.1


    I found out that the problem was with PLEdit, which was the program I was using to modify SpringBoard.strings. PLEdit wasn't encoding the file correctly when I saved it. The fix was to just use iFile to copy the default SpringBoard.strings file and overwrite the one in my theme folder. Then just edit the strings directly from iFile. Hope this helps someone.

    And for anyone using iOS 4.2.1: The default SpringBoard.strings file is saved under English.lproj but I find that that folder doesn't work when applying to themes, I had to save SpringBoard.strings under /var/stash/Themes.XXXXXX/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/en.lproj
    Last edited by Legaldose; 2011-08-06 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Problem Solved
    2011-08-06 12:03 AM
  2. Mes's Avatar
    My iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 SpringBoard.app / English.lproj / SpringBoard.strings file looks completely different.
    Lots of simple label = value entries. Here's a sample starting at line 1:

    "AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" = "slide to unlock";
    "AWAY_LOCK_EMERGENCY_LABEL" = "slide for emergency";
    "AWAY_SMS_LABEL" = "Text";
    "AWAY_MISSED_CALL_LABEL" = "Missed Call";
    "VOICEMAIL_AVAILABLE" = "Voicemail Available";

    A total of 535 of single line entries.

    Obviously, it's not a plist file
    2011-08-06 12:43 AM
  3. Legaldose's Avatar
    Yea the strings file listed in my original post is one that I created. But in addition I've tried taking the source SpringBoard.strings directly from my iPod and it hasn't worked. It might be a different problem D:
    2011-08-06 01:09 AM
  4. Mes's Avatar
    Well .... the code you listed is plist format. The default is not. Personally, I would start there. Revert it to default and see what happens.
    2011-08-06 01:27 AM
  5. Legaldose's Avatar
    Okay, so I copied the default strings file from /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app directly to my desktop. I checked and it was definitely not in plist format. So I changed the AWAY_LOCK_LABEL and saved it in the appropriate folder in my theme directory, resprung and the problem persists. Could it be a problem with the bottombarknobgray.png? I've never had any trouble with it so I doubt it is the root of the error.

    By the way, thanks for trying to help me.
    2011-08-06 01:42 AM
  6. Mes's Avatar
    You're welcome.
    I doubt it will help also ... but it doesn't hurt to try.
    BTW: I'm not a theme person anymore. Hopefully someone with more expertise in this area can help.
    2011-08-06 02:02 AM
  7. Legaldose's Avatar
    I seem to have found a clue ! If you couldn't tell by the photo in the first post, I have applied the Tap to Unlock feature in my theme, I found that by touching and holding my finger in the area that it's supposed to unlock the slide to unlock text disappears! Now I don't know of any png in the com.apple.TelephonyUI bundle that dissappears when you hold down on it. And for that matter, all of my images in that bundle are 100% transparent. So it might be a conflict between my theme and the stock theme. I'll run some more tests and see what happens.
    2011-08-06 02:12 AM
  8. Mes's Avatar
    ^Looks like you on to something ...... Good luck.
    2011-08-06 02:14 AM
  9. Legaldose's Avatar
    Problem solved - I'll edit the first post with details.
    2011-08-06 02:37 AM