1. tonkoris's Avatar
    Hi,

    I am trying to change the ownership setting of a symlink from "root" to "mobile" in ifile.
    I click on the arrow symbol on the file explorer view of ifile, and under "Ownership" section in the menu that pops up, I select "Owner" and change it from "root" to "mobile".

    But then when I check the ownership again, it hasn't changed. It's still root. No matter how many times I try, it's still the same.
    I tried changing the owner of a folder and that seems to work fine.

    What am I doing wrong, and how can I achieve this?
    2014-09-02 05:31 AM
  2. WhatDoIknow's Avatar
    Actually nothing.
    I checked all my symlinks and they are all owner root and group wheel with permission to read & write.
    And they all work fine.
    It is not only the file owner that can have access to the file/folders, but also the group members.
    So make sure that the symlinks have the same group as your game apps, most likely group wheel or group mobile, with read/write permission.
    Last edited by WhatDoIknow; 2014-09-02 at 09:11 AM.
    2014-09-02 09:02 AM
  3. tonkoris's Avatar
    Actually nothing.
    I checked all my symlinks and they are all owner root and group wheel with permission to read & write.
    And they all work fine.
    It is not only the file owner that can have access to the file/folders, but also the group members.
    So make sure that the symlinks have the same group as your game apps, most likely group wheel or group mobile, with read/write permission.
    Thank you. I don't know if you got my PM (I sent it but didn't see the message in my sent message folder a if you didn't get it, I thank you for your help) but thanks for finding my post.

    My symlinks are owner root and group mobile, with read/write/execute permissions for the user, read/execute permission for the group and read/execute permission for the world.

    So I suppose I would want to add write permission to "group" but as I said, I can't change the permission settings of a symlink.I could change the symlink's name, but that was the only thing I could change about it.

    The game doesn't load the save, and behaves as if I am doing an initial running of the app. It attempts to create a save but then fails, telling me to check disk space.
    I understand that it can't save, since the symlink doesn't have group permission to write.
    But why can't it even load, when the symlink has the group permission to read/execute?

    If group members can access the file too, then the game should at least load the save, even if it can't then create new saves by overwrite that save as I play along.

    Of course, I think my symlink is named "Documents", same as the original folder that was the location of the save file.
    2014-09-02 12:45 PM
  4. WhatDoIknow's Avatar
    I got your PM, but thought it might be better to post in your thread as it might help somebody else.
    If you are ready for a different approach then you could try this.
    Forget about the folder symlinks. It was the first thing that sprung to my mind as I am used to work that way.
    Start clean!
    Then use iFile and copy just the database file of one of the games (let's say game A), which you then symlink (iFile's Create Link option) into the Documents folder of Game B and Game C, whereby you replace the database file in Game B and C with a symlink to the database file in Game A.
    Same principle, but less complicated then my original suggestion and much more direct.
    2014-09-03 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD