My bad new, thought I was staying current with the thread but I must have missed that somewhere lol.

I'll dive back into the thread again tomorrow. Thanx
    Read the last paragraph of post #2 for the answer to your question, Roneraven. That should sort you out.
    2015-01-02 07:27 AM
    The more I considering the problem - the more I'm concluding that the issue is something in yours and Signori's widgetweather.xml itself that Marty's widget doesn't like. When I place my xml file in there and others from US - it works great. When I use a widgetweather.xml file from you in England or from wherever Signori is - it doesn't work..

I already ruled out the character ' / ' in several of the descriptions like Rain/Wind.. thinking that character (which is not in any of my daily or hourly descriptions.. ) might not be liked in the parsing. Then I ruled out anything to do with the zip code.. That's not the issue. The updatetimestring is fine too.. Still looking. I love a good mystery.. So we'll see.... Can't place it on any priority list - but code mysteries are relaxing for me -- so I'll chip away a little bit at a time..

Thanks for your help troubleshooting, Simon..
    Thanks a lot for trying to figure this mystery out. Good luck.
    2015-01-02 07:42 AM
    I wanted to start slow, JA.. But when I talked to Jake about this - he told me that, as long as the widget in question doesn't use a call to a local file on the phone (no widgetweather.xml, no myLocation.txt) then it should just simply work in GL+ without any code added at all. The bug in WK Webbview right now is that it can't read a local file in our Documents folder. That's why we need the single-line code change in my tutorial in post number #2 for widgetweather.xml-reading widgets.

But the problem with those Yahoo/AccuWeather widgets is that 95% of them still needed to address the mylocation.txt file in the documents folder. And I haven't been able to get them to work yet using the single line code change. even though Jake says there should be no difference the name of the file that it addresses in the documents folder.

But what should work, even though I haven't tested this yet, is to set one of those older widgets with GPS mode turned OFF in the config.js and put in your WOEID for Yahoo or ZIP code for Accuweather. My guess is that will work in GL+ with no code change. Give it a try.
    Yeah i tried all of that before i posted and i keep getting "OFFLINE". Thanks much

Here's what i'm getting :-

Last edited by jawonder; 2015-01-02 at 01:53 PM.
    2015-01-02 01:30 PM
    Yeah i tried all of that before i posted and i keep getting "OFFLINE". Thanks much

Yeah, I get that too in my couple tests this morning.. I'll see if I can get any insights from Jake.. I'm stumped from the Javascript end of things..
    2015-01-02 04:23 PM
    But what should work, even though I haven't tested this yet, is to set one of those older widgets with GPS mode turned OFF in the config.js and put in your WOEID for Yahoo or ZIP code for Accuweather. My guess is that will work in GL+ with no code change. Give it a try.
    Hi @ all

did anyone test that out?
    2015-01-02 05:24 PM
    Read the last paragraph of post #2 for the answer to your question, Roneraven. That should sort you out.
    That seemed to do the trick new, thanx again
    2015-01-02 06:21 PM
    Well, JAWonder and others.. After working with Jake (GroovyCarrot) on this for a while today - we discovered that WKWebView - the newer HTML technology Jake implements in GroovyLock+ and Groovyboard+, that's freeing us from the resprings - no longer supports the outdated RSS format calls to Yahoo in all our old myLocation widgets and locale based widgets. That's why they're not working when we try to run them in GroovyLock+ (which uses WKWebKit).. We're looking into a feed from Yahoo that may be WKWebView-friendly.. and then again it would likely just be a couple lines of code to change.. So I'll keep you posted.. Not looking too promising.. But I'm an optimist..
    2015-01-02 09:56 PM
    Well... though we are able to find a method to get the weather data for the older widgets that conforms to the new WKWebKit standard that GL+/GB+ use.... MOST of the code in the location.js and main.js files of the myLocation.txt-based older widgets is about working with an rss feed based data source from Yahoo.. And these newer ones are ONLY JSON or XML based like WidgetWeather's system.

So the old widgets would need a complete rewrite to work in GL+/GB+ which is beyond my skills. It's not beyond Dacal's skills.. but the amount of work that would need to be put in - would be about as much as to just convert them to widgetweather widgets.. and I doubt our modders want to put that much time into it. So for all intents and purposes -- you just need to 'move on' from your old widgets guys. Sorry...
    2015-01-02 10:29 PM
    Thanks for the effort NewdestinyX, guess we just have to go forward and the main thing is we can have animations on our 6+ without worrying about restrings . BIG THANKS .
    2015-01-02 10:53 PM
    Thanks for the effort NewdestinyX, guess we just have to go forward and the main thing is we can have animations on our 6+ without worrying about restrings . BIG THANKS .
    Yep. Time to move on from the past.. To be sure..
    2015-01-02 11:12 PM
    In post #3 - a new tutorial for resizing iPhone 5/5S widgets for iphone 6 and iphone 6+. Enjoy!!
    2015-01-02 11:13 PM
    In post #3 - a new tutorial for resizing iPhone 5/5S widgets for iphone 6 and iphone 6+. Enjoy!!
    Worked perfectly .
    2015-01-03 12:43 AM
    Hi grant,

I read in some threads for resizing to i6/i6+ that we need to change some stuff in the wallpaper.html/style.css. We have to change :

this:
    Code:
    body {
    margin: 0;
    }
    to this ..

Code:
    body {
    -webkit-transform: scale(0.**);
    position: absolute;
    }
    The ** is for the scaling to i6/i6+
    2015-01-03 03:29 AM
    Well... though we are able to find a method to get the weather data for the older widgets that conforms to the new WKWebKit standard that GL+/GB+ use.... MOST of the code in the location.js and main.js files of the myLocation.txt-based older widgets is about working with an rss feed based data source from Yahoo.. And these newer ones are ONLY JSON or XML based like WidgetWeather's system.

So the old widgets would need a complete rewrite to work in GL+/GB+ which is beyond my skills. It's not beyond Dacal's skills.. but the amount of work that would need to be put in - would be about as much as to just convert them to widgetweather widgets.. and I doubt our modders want to put that much time into it. So for all intents and purposes -- you just need to 'move on' from your old widgets guys. Sorry...
    Na, I'm not buying this, unless you show me Apple documentation.
    From what I read, JSON for the data transfer protocol is a "choice" in WKWebView's configuration.

I just think WKWebView is too buggy for us atm and we don't know enough about it. I wouldn't go posting your assumptions everywhere just yet, you never know what Apple will add/fix in iOS8.2, here's hoping.
    2015-01-03 04:59 AM
    Hi grant,

I read in some threads for resizing to i6/i6+ that we need to change some stuff in the wallpaper.html/style.css. We have to change :

this:
    Code:
    body {
    }
    to this ..

Code:
    body {
    -webkit-transform: scale(0.**);
    position: absolute;
    }
    The ** is for the scaling to i6/i6+
    Thanks Ian!! I'd forgotten about of that code.. But it's really a 'workaround' as far as I'm concerned since it's less precise to the final dimensions of the screen. I like getting at the root cause - and as you well know that requires 'new images' (though I'll forgo them since I don't have the JS skill like you - are the master!! ) - and it requires change of the original containers and image heights and widths. The code I posted gets the css nearly all the way converted... But I love a quick fix too.. So thanks!! So glad to have your expertise here!!!!
    Na, I'm not buying this, unless you show me Apple documentation.
    From what I read, JSON for the data transfer protocol is a "choice" in WKWebView's configuration.

I just think WKWebView is too buggy for us atm and we don't know enough about it. I wouldn't go posting your assumptions everywhere just yet, you never know what Apple will add/fix in iOS8.2, here's hoping.
    Well - I'm very excited about your optimism.. But Jake ran console tests today.. And RSS format is definitely dead in WKWebView at this point. No doubt about that.. Now he 'surmised' Apple left it behind in WK because all the new formats needed to conform to the newer YQL OAuth standards. But we WAS making just an educated guess.. So agreed... no proof...

But the handwriting is on the wall it would seem that.. for the user's benefit - you guys who make widgets - prolly should leave RSS formatted feeds behind for the seeable near future if the end user is gonna be able to have the stability benefits of WK... until which time as the 'bugginess' in WK is eliminated.. Then IF Apple "chooses" JSON/XML feeds only in 8.2 and forward - the JB community widget creators having let RSS feeds die, will be seen as having been 'visionary'.. Would you agree?
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-01-03 at 05:41 AM.
    2015-01-03 05:23 AM
    ^^ ??, not mine pal!
    2015-01-03 05:27 AM
    ^^ ??, not mine pal!
    Not your what, bro?
    2015-01-03 05:41 AM
    Not your what, bro?
    You quoted this answer below as if I was the one that posted the talked about code, but it wasn't me.

Thanks Ian!! I'd forgotten about of that code.. But it's really a 'workaround' as far as I'm concerned since it's less precise to the final dimensions of the screen. I like getting at the root cause - and as you well know that requires 'new images' (though I'll forgo them since I don't have the JS skill like you - are the master!! ) - and it requires change of the original containers and image heights and widths. The code I posted gets the css nearly all the way converted... But I love a quick fix too.. So thanks!! So glad to have your expertise here!!!!
    2015-01-03 06:05 AM
    Well - I'm very excited about your optimism.. But Jake ran console tests today.. And RSS format is definitely dead in WKWebView at this point. No doubt about that.. Now he 'surmised' Apple left it behind in WK because all the new formats needed to conform to the newer YQL OAuth standards. But we WAS making just an educated guess.. So agreed... no proof...
    I have reason to be optimistic, I recently was playing with WKWebView and made a UniAW7 app using it (the app is called "d" because attempts "a", "b" & "c" failed LOL), the app is set to use gps which calls:
    var url = "http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w="+locale+"&u=f";
    Look at the video below, you can compare data from my iWidget in home screen, the app got all the correct info! (Granted the weather condition is "Haze" but Yahoo always reports blinkin "Haze" for my area LOL) How can it do this if it's broken?

Video link:

Attached Thumbnails Workaround Stategies for iOS8 respringing using GroovyAPI+-screen-shot-2015-01-03-1.18.59-pm.png   Workaround Stategies for iOS8 respringing using GroovyAPI+-screen-shot-2015-01-03-1.19.19-pm.png   Workaround Stategies for iOS8 respringing using GroovyAPI+-screen-shot-2015-01-03-1.20.15-pm.png  
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2015-01-03 at 06:40 AM.
    2015-01-03 06:27 AM

I wish I could get my to work just like this one.
    Workaround Stategies for iOS8 respringing using GroovyAPI+-image.jpg
    2015-01-03 07:22 AM
831 ... 5678917 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD