I posted this on another board the other day before I realised the Linux board existed. I'm now hoping one of you Linux friendly bods can help me out

I was previously using the Dev Team's 1.1.3 and had setup my phone for passwordless SSH login - I'm a Linux user and this part is essential to allow me to sync music via Amarok. Today I have restored to 1.1.4 and jailbroken / activated / unlocked with ZiPhone and it's all good, except that I can't get the passwordless login to work.

Before restoring, I backed up /var/root/.ssh from the phone and thought it would be as simple as restoring that folder in 1.1.4 but I still keep getting prompted for a password. I've Googled like crazy and followed all the guides but I can't make it work. The only thing I haven't done is regenerated the key pair on my laptop because I use these keys on other systems and don't want to have to re-create the lot.

I have confirmed that /var/root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the iPhone is identical to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub on my laptop and been configured the SSH service via /etc/sshd_config on the phone but am at a bit of a loss now.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned
    2008-03-29 03:17 PM
    you can try the following.
    chmod 755 /var/root
    chmod 700 /var/root/.ssh
    chmod 644 /var/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

* offcourse you run those commands in iphone . via its terminal or through ssh
    Last edited by wireless; 2008-03-29 at 09:49 PM.
    2008-03-29 09:47 PM
    you can try the following.
    chmod 755 /var/root
    chmod 700 /var/root/.ssh
    chmod 644 /var/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

* offcourse you run those commands in iphone . via its terminal or through ssh
    You beauty! I understand that SSH gets upset if the permissions are incorrect on the home folder / .ssh directory but I thought I had been through and checked all that. Oh well, it works now - thanks
    2008-03-30 02:37 AM
    people please realize that this forum is for the iPhoneLinux project
    2008-03-30 09:09 PM
    people please realize that this forum is for the iPhoneLinux project
    That's all well and good but there is nowhere for Linux iPhone users to ask questions here. If you ask in the other forums, it gets ignored and bumped off the first page before someone in the know can come along and answer it.
    2008-03-31 12:00 PM
    i think this forum should just be used for anything linux related
    2008-04-02 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD