User Tag List

Hey, I have been checking out the reviews and other posts of people who have unlocked their iphone and I am curious about the risk of jailbreaking my iphone. If I jailbreak it can I restore my phone or will it destroy my software? And what would the best program to jailbreak my phone? I am running OSX Tiger. If someone could give me a lot of information about jailbreaking and all I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone!
    2008-04-10 02:30 PM
    What kind of firmware do you have? That will have a lot to do with how you will go about jailbreaking it.
    2008-04-10 03:17 PM
    I have 1.1.4 on my phone now. And I understand what jailbreaking is but could you give me some info as far as the risk and all involved. Is there a difference in unlocking and jailbreaking?
    2008-04-10 03:27 PM
    Use the iPhone Dev's Pwnage Tool. It's the safest and easy to restore if you need it. There really is no longer a risk. The pwnage tool patches the firmware before you even load it onto the phone. Google for the instructions. It's pretty straight forward.
    2008-04-10 05:46 PM
    if you use the new devs pwnage tool, the jailbreak is completely and utterly reversible. if you restore the phone to its original settings (pre-jailbreak) it will be as new and undetectable by a genius in the apple store.

the iPhone is an expensive paperweight without jailbreaking.
    2008-04-10 05:52 PM
    if you use the new devs pwnage tool, the jailbreak is completely and utterly reversible. if you restore the phone to its original settings (pre-jailbreak) it will be as new and undetectable by a genius in the apple store.

the iPhone is an expensive paperweight without jailbreaking.
    Two questions:

1) There's no risk to unlocking/jailbreaking, but is there any lost functionality?

2) iPhone Dev's Pwnage Tool looks to be just for Macs. Is there a comparable tool for Windows?
    2008-04-10 07:24 PM
    Has anyone used the pwned tool personally? I saw the post that someones phone got bricked, how did that happen and is there a chance it could do that to my phone?? I want to jailbreak and find an MMS app and a app that might let my camera do video and all, plus some other useful things can anyone give me some feed back to the pwned tool? And maybe let me know how to fix my phone if there is a possible error? Thanks
    2008-04-10 07:28 PM
    I was just reading through the forums and saw that a Windows user used iLiberty+ to unlock/jailbreak their iphone. Anyone have any info good or bad on iLiberty+?
    2008-04-10 07:31 PM
    Has anyone used the pwned tool personally? I saw the post that someones phone got bricked, how did that happen and is there a chance it could do that to my phone?? I want to jailbreak and find an MMS app and a app that might let my camera do video and all, plus some other useful things can anyone give me some feed back to the pwned tool? And maybe let me know how to fix my phone if there is a possible error? Thanks
    People who bricked their phones using Pwnage either didn't follow instructions correctly, or they restored using the wrong firmware (ipod Touch firmware for iPhone and vice versa)

if you follow directions correctly and carefully, your phone will be fine

you can ask for a million opinions and everyone will give you a different one. i think it's more helpful to do a bit more reading and research. this forum is a great resource, but you can also refer to hackint0sh.org, hacktahtphone.com and/or iclarified.com
    2008-04-10 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the helpful info. So after I jailbreak how do I get the apps on the phone and where are some sites I could find good apps? I would like more info I guess about jailbreak before I commit to doing it though. Thanks everyone.
    2008-04-10 07:57 PM
    most of the jailbreak tools i know of will install installer on your phone for you and you can install applications from there. there's a section in this forum that talks about applications (new and old) or i like to use appleiphoneschool.com and sleepers.net for information on applications
    2008-04-10 08:02 PM
    I just used iLiberty and the instructions here (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=849) and it seems to have worked like a charm.
    2008-04-10 08:59 PM
    So me having OSX Tiger will not matter on jailbreaking my phone with the pwnage tool? And can I restore my phone if the jailbreak makes my phone freeze and all that, will it restore the phone back like I never did the jailbreak?
    2008-04-10 11:31 PM
    you can use tiger with pwnage and if you don't like it then just restore using iTunes with the stock firmware file and it'll be back to factory/ stock
    2008-04-10 11:40 PM
    Thanks, So if I have an issue with my phone will Apple be able to notice that I did a jailbreak if I restore it? And what's the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking? Are they the same thing?
    2008-04-10 11:43 PM
    Jailbreaking is giving you access to the iPhone filesystem (allowing you to install apps)
    Unlocking is the process of allowing the phone to be used on other networks other than the one you bought it with.
    2008-04-11 12:11 AM
    Can I just jailbreak it? I don't need to unlock it. I'm so hesitant to jailbreak because I want a guarantee that I can restore my phone if I don't like it or if I have problems. Can someone tell me how easy it is to restore my phone if I use Pwnage tool? Thanks everyone you all have been very helpful. Keep posting please
    2008-04-11 12:22 AM
    You will be able to restore your phone through iTunes any time you want.
    Jailbreaking isn't a big deal; unlocking is the one that makes people scream when they mess up. And you don't want to unlock, so you're fine really.
    2008-04-11 07:03 AM
    I too was scared at 1st to mod my iphone. I had it 3 months b-4 I got enough courage up to jailbreak it. It was the best decision I ever made (ok, well maybe not the "best" one but a pretty darn good one). I used Ziphone which is a less safe method than Pwnage tool and had no problems what so ever. Any time you modify your iPhone, there’s some level of risk, you just have to decide 4 yourself if your willing to do it. That being said, I've rarely seen anybody break their iPhone from simply jail breaking it. And if they have, it's because they didn't take the time to look b-4 they leaped! The PPL here are very knowledgeable and can help you with almost anything you need!!!! Don't be afraid, you'll wish you'd done it sooner
    Last edited by D3VIL™; 2008-04-11 at 07:23 AM.

If you found anything I said/did useful, please click on the Button
    2008-04-11 07:19 AM
    Well I would say just go ahead use pwnage. I wish I could get hold of it and use it on my iPhone but too bad I'm using windows! Use pwnage... SEARCH demo or tutorials in youtube they should work the same! Well if you feel something is wrong during the process of jailbreaking, trust me... leave the phone... it will do find as long as you follow instructions. Videos are normally easier to follow so youtube is the source for methods to jailbreak your phone. Well if you don't need to unlock your phone, then don't do it. But iLiberty works just fine if you just tick all boxes, REMEMBER TO GO TO ADVANCED TAB TO TICK INSTALLER. if not you won't get installer.app in springboard...
    2008-04-11 11:43 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD