NOTE: CHECK OUT MY NEW GUIDE! A total guide, made by me, including downgrading, upgrading, and jailbreaking 1.1.2 can be found HERE!!!

Just a few things before I begin...

This is a guide for downgrading the iPhone from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 and maintaining the phone features that many people have been missing. I am on a PC and have no instructions for Mac users.

I am going to be going through the process myself using several other guides and at the same time compiling a detailed guide/walkthrough of my own.

Starters: iPhone Firmware 1.1.2, neither jailbroken nor unlocked, iTunes 7.5, Windows XP
    Download the 1.1.2 Baseband Downgrade Pack here (thanks shawnie53)
    I submitted this for approval and when it is approved I will change the download link to the MMI site instead of RapidShare
    Download The 1.1.1 Firmware here
    Download The 1.0.2 Firmware here

Sorry for the wait. Had some computer problems...*mumbles*stupidwindows*mumbles*

STATUS 8:47 pm: Downloading necessary files. And syncing my iPhone.

STATUS 9:05 pm: Files downloaded. Entered recovery mode on my iPhone by holding the power and home buttons until the "connect to iTunes" picture appeared. Once iTunes recognized my iPhone, I shift-clicked on Restore and navigated to my 1.1.1 Firmware. iTunes is now downgrading my iPhone to 1.1.1.

STATUS 9:11 pm: iTunes gave me error #1015 (The iPhone could not be restored). I hit OK. Then I shift-clicked on Restore again and navigated to my 1.0.2 Firmware. iTunes is now downgrading my iPhone to 1.0.2.

STATUS 9:17 pm: iTunes gave me error #1 (The iPhone could not be restored). I hit OK. Then I shift-clicked on Restore again and navigated to my 1.1.1 Firmware (not sure what is wrong). iTunes is now restoring my iPhone to 1.1.1.

STATUS 9:25 pm: iTunes gave me error #1015 (the iPhone could not be restored) again. I downloaded iBrickr here and it recognized my iPhone. It gave me the option to boot the phone or to Begin Downgrade to Firmware 1.0.2. I clicked on Begin Downgrade to Firmware 1.0.2 and followed the instructions provided (instead of going to the iBrickr folder for 1.0.2.ipsw, I went to where I manually downloaded the firmware).

STATUS 9:32 pm: iTunes gave me error #1013 (the iPhone could not be restored) and popped up the yellow triangle that says "Please Connect to iTunes" underneath it. I clicked the corresponding button in iBrickr and my screen turned red (like it should). My iPhone booted up and is awaiting activation. SUCCESS!

STATUS 9:37 pm: iTunes gave me some crap and didn't restore correctly so I'm missing my contacts, etc but I am running 1.0.2. Be sure not to sync at this point because it will overwrite your previous back-up sync and you will lose all of your contacts, etc. Back at the main page on iBrickr I clicked Free My iPhone! and followed the on-screen instructions.

STATUS 9:46 pm: iBrickr put my iPhone into recovery mode when it was finished instead of booting up so I hit Boot the iPhone and everything was fine. I downloaded AppTapp here. I ran AppTapp and followed the on-screen instructions to install Installer.app on my iPhone. It worked.

STATUS 9:56 pm: I checked for updates in Installer.app and downloaded and installed the update for Installer.app (omg i have 133.7 MB available. you can't tell me that's a coincidence). I restarted Installer.app and my sources won't refresh. I remembered hearing about people having troubles with Installer.app and went back to iBrickr.

STATUS 9:58 pm: In iBrickr I clicked Applications and followed the on-screen instructions to install PXL.

STATUS 10:00 pm: With PXL installed I proceeded to install both BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH (in that order).

STATUS 10:10 pm: With both BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH installed, I opened up winscp405.exe (referred to as WinSCP from now on). For Host Name: I entered my current wifi IP address on my iPhone (check this by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > and clicking the blue arrow next to your SSID), Port number: 22, User Name: root, Password: dottie, Private key file: Leave blank, file protocol: SCP. Hit Save... and save the profile as iPhone (Hit yes if it asks you if you're sure you want to save a password). Now double-click on your new iPhone profile and allow up to a minute for your Host Keys to be generated (click yes when it asks you if you want to allow the Host Keys to be generated).

STATUS 10:15 pm: I navigated to the /usr/bin folder on my iPhone and dragged and dropped the following folders from the Downgrade Pack to the /usr/bin folder on the iPhone:

ICE03.14.08_G.eep
    ICE03.14.08_G.fls
    iEraser
    bbupdater
    secpack
    secpack.bin

After the transfer completes, exit out of WinSCP.

STATUS 10:23 pm: Double-click on Putty.exe and use the same settings and password you used in WinSCP to login. (NOTE: when you type in the password, nothing will appear. Just type normally and hit enter when you are done typing dottie and everything will be fine). Type in the following hitting enter after each line:

launchctl

unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

exit (without this you will still be in launchctl and it will not recognize the command cd)

cd /usr/bin

chmod +x iEraser

chmod +x bbupdater

iEraser

bbupdater -v

STATUS 10:35 pm: The last command issued returned "baseband unresponsive to pinging". THIS IS GOOD! SUCCESS!!! Now type in the following and hit enter:

bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep (the _'s are spaces: bbupdater_-f_*.fls_-e_*.eep)

After this process ends, I backspaced the text "PuTTy" that was left behind and issued this command:

bbupdater -v

This returned a slew of data which (roughly translated) means...SUCCESS!!!

STATUS 10:38 pm: I restarted my iPhone and...FULL SERVICE IS BACK! Back in iTunes I hit Update (it had been prompting me for some time), and began my update to 1.1.1. (NOTE: If your iTunes is prompting you to update to 1.1.2, simply shift-click Update and navigate to your 1.1.1 Firmware)

STATUS 10:42 pm: Crapppp. iTunes said "Backing up iPhone" and I think my update will be backed up with my no contacts, no dates, etc...For shame iPhone...for shame... In order to save other people from this, simply restore before updating and restore with your backup file that has all of your contacts and stuff, then continue on to the update process. Man, I really hope that isn't what iTunes meant...

STATUS 10:53 pm: Yep. As I expected. Time to put alllll my contacts, etc. back. GRRRRR.

STATUS 11:27 pm: Got pretty much everything back to normal. Jailbreakme.com = working. Installer.app = working. SB = working. Customize = working. I missed you iPhone!

NOTE: CHECK OUT MY NEW GUIDE! A total guide, made by me, including downgrading, upgrading, and jailbreaking 1.1.2 can be found HERE!!!

Oh yeah and don't forget the Thanks button
    Last edited by Sidetalker; 2007-11-15 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Changes
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.
    2007-11-12 02:00 AM
    oh man i need that guild to downgrade my phone and reinstall OkToPrep so i can finesh up my upgrade.. im on windows. Thanks
    2007-11-12 02:43 AM
    oh man i need that guild to downgrade my phone and reinstall OkToPrep so i can finesh up my upgrade.. im on windows. Thanks
    Anything for my fellow iPhoners! Just follow the steps as I do them and post them and you should be just fine! Just about done downloading the firmwares now, however 1.1.1 (the one we need to use first) is takin a bit longer...
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 02:59 AM
    I'm watching this closely. I'm curious to see how you do with the BBUPDATER part. I've been getting errors left and right whenever I try to run it - either in a terminal app on the phone or from my computer.

STATUS 9:17 pm: iTunes gave me error #1 (The iPhone could not be restored). I hit OK. Then I shift-clicked on Restore again and navigated to my 1.1.1 Firmware (not sure what is wrong). iTunes is now restoring my iPhone to 1.1.1.
    You can only get from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 by going into DFU restore mode (Home + Sleep then release Sleep when it goes to black screen)
    Last edited by Murfunit; 2007-11-12 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette
    2007-11-12 03:22 AM
    I'm watching this closely. I'm curious to see how you do with the BBUPDATER part. I've been getting errors left and right whenever I try to run it - either in a terminal app on the phone or from my computer.
    Hah if i ever get to that part, we'll see what happens. iTunes is givin me troubles but I think iBrickr might get the best of it.
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 03:26 AM
    Hah if i ever get to that part, we'll see what happens. iTunes is givin me troubles but I think iBrickr might get the best of it.
    Thats how I always get from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2. Much easier than that blasted DFU restore

The 1015 error when downgrading to 1.0.2 is normal. That's where AppTapp is used. Or iBrickr. AppTapp gives you Installer though. iBrickr is PXL
    2007-11-12 03:28 AM
    Thats how I always get from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2. Much easier than that blasted DFU restore

The 1015 error when downgrading to 1.0.2 is normal. That's where AppTapp is used. Or iBrickr. AppTapp gives you Installer though. iBrickr is PXL
    Yeah I shoulda prolly used AppTapp... I'm more familiar with iBrickr and it was already downloaded so no harm done :P

EDIT: lol u were right, that was easier!

EDIT: or not...stupid installer.app
    Last edited by Sidetalker; 2007-11-12 at 03:58 AM.
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 03:38 AM
    What if you just want to stay at 1.1.1?
    2007-11-12 03:49 AM
    well i can get it to 1.0.2 software but firmware stuck on 04.01.13_G i need to downgrade.. Waiting for next step. by the way my phone part works still maybe im still on at&t...
    2007-11-12 03:51 AM
    That will work on a UK 1.1.2 yeah?
    2007-11-12 03:52 AM
    What if you just want to stay at 1.1.1?
    Then ignore this guide? (or if you mean after downgrading from 1.1.2? then you can but your phone most likely wont work)
    That will work on a UK 1.1.2 yeah?
    It's worth a shot!
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 03:59 AM
    Yeah I shoulda prolly used AppTapp... I'm more familiar with iBrickr and it was already downloaded so no harm done :P

EDIT: lol u were right, that was easier!

EDIT: or not...stupid installer.app
    When downgrading to 1.0.2 APptapp fails the first time. When you run it again it should work

The refresh time has been horridly slow - probably due to the numbers of people using it these days
    2007-11-12 04:01 AM
    When downgrading to 1.0.2 APptapp fails the first time. When you run it again it should work
    AppTapp worked fine I was having problems with Installer.app on my iPhone itself. In the past few days I had heard a few reports of Installer.app acting up and now I saw it first-hand! iBrickr is the way to go

EDIT: btw guys hit that thanks button if i helped you!
    Last edited by Sidetalker; 2007-11-12 at 04:27 AM.
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 04:03 AM
    I'm not trying to second guess you, Side, You're doing a great service here.

But for those that are using Installer, if you install the BigBoss source in Installer you can put the BBUPDATER files on the phone via Installer. There are 2 downgrade options 1.1.1 -> 1.0.2 and 1.1.2 -> 1.0.2 that install the secpac files
    2007-11-12 04:38 AM
    I'm not trying to second guess you, Side, You're doing a great service here.

But for those that are using Installer, if you install the BigBoss source in Installer you can put the BBUPDATER files on the phone via Installer. There are 2 downgrade options 1.1.1 -> 1.0.2 and 1.1.2 -> 1.0.2 that install the secpac files
    Good to know

but installer isnt working for me so i did it this way...thanks though!
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 04:40 AM
    Good to know

but installer isnt working for me so i did it this way...thanks though!
    Nod I know

I threw that in for the folks who are able to get Installer working

As for your contacts: I can't speak for Windows since I sync my phone through my Mac iTunes, not Windows. But that said I thought contacts were updated when you synced, not via the backup. All the backup does is save settings - like your YouTube bookmarks, your WIFI settings and things like that
    2007-11-12 05:05 AM
    As for your contacts: I can't speak for Windows since I sync my phone through my Mac iTunes, not Windows. But that said I thought contacts were updated when you synced, not via the backup. All the backup does is save settings - like your YouTube bookmarks, your WIFI settings and things like that
    nope everything is saved...i had an old backup i made like 2 months back and that had MOST of my contacts and other stuff, but i have a lot to fill back in >.<

its all good though... the downgrade was a total and utter AND COMPLETE SUCCESSSS
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 05:15 AM
    nope everything is saved...i had an old backup i made like 2 months back and that had MOST of my contacts and other stuff, but i have a lot to fill back in >.<

its all good though... the downgrade was a total and utter AND COMPLETE SUCCESSSS
    Ahh Ok. In Mac iTunes contacts save and sync like media

WOOT!!!! Grats Nice work
    2007-11-12 06:18 AM
    Ahh Ok. In Mac iTunes contacts save and sync like media

WOOT!!!! Grats Nice work
    Thanks! you seem to be one of the few that has followed this so thanks for that too! ill make a tutorial for real sometime tomorrow
    For Help

GUIDES:
    2007-11-12 06:37 AM
    Thanks! you seem to be one of the few that has followed this so thanks for that too! ill make a tutorial for real sometime tomorrow
    I've done this more than a few times - more times than I care to count... (Been downgrading 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 since 1.1.1 was released) so a lot of the steps you were doing I'd already struggled through. But your method of documenting step by step what was going on and how you worked around it is a great teaching/learning tool. More posts like this might save the next guy from doing the same thing, or help the next guy that isn't sure if they're on the right track
    2007-11-12 06:44 AM
65 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD