hey, thanks ... and what means "Yessum" ? I am Austrian and I am not really clear about all these shortcuts ...
    haha, it's what southern hicks used to say to their school mom's. Just means Yes.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2007-11-29 06:36 PM
    Here i what I have:

US-origin iPhone, purchased anySIM unlocked (at that time was 1.0.2)

Upgraded to 1.1.1:
    a) virginized using Virginizer pack (frm Elite)
    b) used iNdependence to jailbrake, activate and upgrade to 1.1.1
    c) unlocked using anySIM 1.1
    --> iPhone works great, never had any problems.

Todays status of my darling:
    Actual Firmware: 1.1.1
    Actual baseband (modem firmware) version: 4.01.13_G
    Actual bootloader version: 3.9_M3S2

Can I safely use the baby steps, and end up with a 1.1.2 phone, rather than a brick? I am just too scared.

MANY MANY MANY thanks for w9cae's "Baby Steps" description. It was the only one I trusted would work, and it did work, exactly as described. PERFECT. I live in Austria, using an Austrian (A1) SIM card.

For those how are still uncertain, this was my setup before going through the baby steps:

US-origin iPhone, purchased anySIM unlocked (at that time was 1.0.2).

Later, I upgraded to 1.1.1:
    a) virginized using Virginizer pack (frm Elite)
    b) used iNdependence to jailbrake, activate and upgrade to 1.1.1
    c) unlocked using anySIM 1.1
    --> iPhone works great, never had any problems.

Before starting the Baby Steps, the status was:
    Firmware: 1.1.1
    Baseband (modem firmware) version: 4.01.13_G
    Bootloader version: 3.9_M3S2

After performing the Baby Steps, everything worked perfect. All my music, my calendar, my conr´tacts etc. was still there, all I had to do was to re-install all my installer-apps, but this was just fun after having seen my darling work after updating.

Moderator: Please make this description sticky, so that everyone can find it first and on top. THIS IS THE SIMPLEST AND SAFEST UPGRADE PROCEDURE
    Last edited by iphonestef; 2007-11-29 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-29 10:28 PM
    Permissions were fine on all files. It was not crashing, just displaying some error very briefly at the end which was not readable.
    Had the very same problem. In retrospect the reason seems I named the file anySIM1.2.app instead of anySIM.app

Anyway, using the guide from the hackint0sh forums worked well and was a matter of minutes! It also has a link to an anySIM1.2.1 repository, so no (error-prone) manual installation of anySIM is necessary. It's great and beats the downgrade method hands-down!
    Last edited by BananaBonanza; 2007-11-30 at 12:54 AM. Reason: type
    2007-11-30 12:53 AM
    For folks wanting the same guide but from FW 1.0.2 Here it is

Babysteps Upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.1.2

This guide represents another joint effort by a great hacker (W9cae) and good writer who can only manage computer stuff in baby steps (me). I have just finished following this guide to upgrade a friend's iPhone from 1.0.2 all the way to 1.1.2, and he's going to be a very happy little vegimite in the morning. It all went without a hitch.

As always, though, you try this at your own risk. So, good luck, and here goes:

What you need
    • An unlocked iPhone on Firmware 1.0.2 and Modem Firmware 03.14.08_G
    • A WiFi Connection for the iPhone
    • A Computer with web browser and iTunes connected to internet
    • The knowledge that you do have to do this in two stages, upgrading to 1.1.1 and then to 1.1.2. You cannot do it in one hit.
    • Up to two hours of spare time, much of which will be spent watching, drinking, and praying while things download and install.
    • This guide

1. Before you begin
    1.1 Sync your iphone so you don’t loose anything
    1.2 If you want to play it extra safe, you could use Installer to uninstall any third party applications.
    1.3 Read over this guide a couple of times and make sure you understand what is being asked at each step.
    1.4 Relax, and prepare yourself to follow instructions, slowly, methodically, and without improvising or skipping anything!
    1.5 Remember, if your iPhone really does get stuck in a boot-loop (keeps shutting down and rebooting by itself, over and over and over), connecting it to iTunes or connecting it to the USB charger will probably break it free. So relax, it’s all going to be okay!!!

2. Revirginize
    2.1 Revirginizing is necessary if your iPhone was unlocked using anySIM 1.0 - 1.0.2, iUnlock, iUnlock-fast or any similar older method. If your phone was unlocked using anySIM 1.1, you can skip this section and go on to section 3.
    2.2 If you have established that you need to revirginize, go to Settings > General > About, and check that “Modem Firmware” is shown as being 03.14.08_G. (If it isn’t, then your phone may have already been upgraded to 1.1.1 and then downgraded again. In that case, we do not recommend using this guide.)
    2.3 Go to Settings > General > Auto Lock and set it to “Never”.
    2.4 On your iPhone, tap on Installer (wait for sources to refresh if necessary and update it if it asks). Add a new source called http://i.unlock.no/ (if it is not already there). To do this you tap on “Sources”, then on “Edit”, then on “Add”, then type in the address, and then tap on “OK”.
    2.5 Refresh sources (it will probably do that by itself), and then install BSD Sybsystem if it is not already on your phone. To check if it is already there, tap on “Uninstall” and see if it is in the list. If it is, go to the next step. If it’s not, install it by tapping on “Install”, then on the “System” folder, then on “BSD Subsystem” and then on the “Install” button at the top.
    2.6 Return to Installer and install “The Virginizer (03.x)”. To do this, tap on “Install”, then on the “ Unlocking Tools” folder, then on “The Virginizer (03.x)” and then on the “Install” button at the top. It will then automatically run and will take about 3-5 minutes to complete.
    2.7 You should now have a locked virgin 1.0.2 iPhone showing the “Activate iPhone” screen, probably with an “Incorrect SIM” message over it.

3. Upgrade to FW 1.1.1
    3.1 If you do not already have it, you need to download the 1.1.1 firmware to your computer. You can’t do this from iTunes anymore. In the web browser on your computer, go to http://iphone.unlock.no/#restore-firmware-files and under the heading “Where can i find the iPhone firmware files?” click on the link titled 1.1.1. The firmware will begin downloading to wherever your downloads normally go. Plenty of time for a drink and a prayer while it downloads. Your browser may add a “.zip” to the end of the name of this downloaded file, but don’t unzip it. Instead, when the download is complete, remove the .zip from the end of the name, and confirm this when it queries it. It will now end with .ipsw, and you will see its icon change to a little cube with music notes and an iPod picture on it. (If your computer automatically unzips the downloaded file, you can trash the resulting folder and get the .zip file from the Trash.)
    3.2 When the download is complete, open iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer.
    3.3 When The iPhone window appears, asking you if you want to upgrade, hold down the OPTION-key (Mac) or the SHIFT-key (Windows) and while holding it down, click the “Update” button. This will let you choose the firmware file you have downloaded by navigating to the place to which you downloaded it, and choosing it.
    3.4 Wait while it installs the new firmware on your phone.
    3.5 You should now have a locked virgin 1.1.1 iPhone showing the “Activate iPhone” screen.
    3.6 Disconnect your iPhone from your computer.

4. Jailbreak 1.1.1
    4.1 With your iPhone disconnected from your computer, slide the “Slide for Emergency” slider on the activate screen to get the dial pad.
    4.2 Key in *#307# and press “Call”
    4.3 Your iPhone will ring. Answer it and press “Hold”. (If you don’t get the answer screen, delete the *#307#, key in 0 and press call, and it should then give you the answer screen so you can then answer it and press “Hold”.)
    4.4 After pressing “Hold”, your phone will ring again but this time, press “Decline Call”. This will bring up the “Contacts” screen (or the normal dial pad, under which you can press “Contacts”).
    4.5 Press the “+” at the top of the screen to add a new contact. Give it a simple name that you will recognise later.
    4.6 On the new contact screen, tap on “Add new URL” and type in prefs://1f and then tap “Save”.
    4.7 Tap on “Add new URL” again. Type in http://jailbreakme.com and then tap on “Save”.
    4.8 Tap on “Save” at the top of the screen to save the new contact with its two URLs.
    4.9 Tap the preffs://1f URL and it will take you to the “Settings” screen.
    4.10 Tap on “General”, then “Auto Lock” and set it to “Never”. It may already be set.
    4.11 Return to “Settings” using the return buttons at the top left of the screen. Tap on “Wi-Fi” and select your Wi-Fi connection. You will probably have to enter your Wi-Fi password. Leave your phone there for 1 or 2 minutes.
    4.11 Reboot your phone (turn it right off and then back on again) and if it shows the Wi-Fi symbol, continue to the next step. If you don't get the Wi-Fi symbol, repeat the procedure until you do.
    4.12 Now repeat steps 4.1 - 4.4 to bring up the “Contacts” screen again.

4.13 Tap your contact, and then tap on the second URL: http://jailbreakme.com
    4.14 A Safari window will open. When it has loaded, scroll down and tap "Install AppSnapp". Safari should disappear, and return your iPhone to the Home screen. Wait patiently for a minute. Walk away if you need to calm down! Don't touch anything for few minutes. The iPhone will return to the activation screen and then probably reboot itself. After rebooting, it should have the “slide to unlock” screen.
    4.15 You have now successfully bypassed the Activation and the new Installer.app will have been installed on your iPhone.

5. Preparing for Second Upgrade
    5.1 On the Springboard (home screen) of your iPhone, tap on “Installer” (and wait for sources to refresh if necessary)
    5.2 Install “Community Sources”. To do this, tap on “Install” at the bottom of the screen, then tap on the “Sources” folder, then tap on “Community Sources”, and then tap the “Install” button at the top of the screen. If you can’t find it, it may have already installed itself - you can check this by tapping on “Uninstall” and seeing if it is listed there. If it is, you’re fine.
    5.3 Return to the Installer and from “Tweaks (1.1.1)” find “OktoPrep”. If you can’t find it, go back to “Sources” and tap “Refresh”, and then look again.
    5.4 Install “OktoPrep”. It will run itself and then tell you that you are ready to update.

6. Upgrade to FW 1.1.2
    6.1 Connect iPhone to computer and open iTunes
    6.2 Click on “Update” to install FW 1.1.2 (make sure you choose “update” not “restore”)
    6.3 Wait the half hour or whatever it takes to complete the download and installation. A drink and a prayer help pass the time at this point.
    6.4 iTunes will tell you when it is finished, and the iPhone screen will show an iTunes icon and a plug, and probably an “Incorrect SIM” message. You now have a locked and unactivated 1.1.2 iPhone.
    6.5 Quit iTunes, but leave your iPhone connected to your Mac.

7. Jailbreak 1.1.2
    7.1 Open the web browser on your computer and go to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html Download the 1.1.2 jailbreak to your computer. It will download as a .zip file. Open the file and it will create a folder called “1.1.2-jailbreak”. There is a README inside that folder, but you can ignore it because anything you need to know from it is already included in this guide.
    7.2 On your computer, open the “1.1.2-jailbreak” folder.
    7.3 If you are on an OSX Mac, double click on the “jailbreak.jar” file. If you are using Windows, double click on windows.bat.
    7.4 Follow the on-screen prompts as follows:
    7.5 In the first window, click on the “Jailbreak” button. Don’t check the “Install SSH” box unless you especially want it. If you don’t know what it is, then you won’t be needing it! Another stiff drink and a prayer will go down well while watching the progress bar - about 5 minutes.
    7.6 At the end of this, the iPhone will shutdown and reboot itself several times. It will look like it’s stuck in a loop, but just wait it out. It will sort itself out.
    7.7 Once this is finished, you can disconnect the iPhone from the computer, because the rest is done on the iPhone through its WiFi connection.

8. Unlock
    8.1 Go to Settings > General > Auto Lock, and set to “Never”. (It may already be set.)
    8.2 Go to Installer, and from the “System’ folder, install “BSD Sybsystem” if it is not already on your phone.
    8.3 Go to Installer, and from the “System’ folder, install “OpenSSH”. (We don’t know why this is necessary, but we have reports of the unlock failing if it hasn’t been done.)
    8.4 Go to Installer, and add a new source called http://rep.frenchiphone.com To do this you tap on “Sources”, then on “Edit”, then on “Add”, then type in the address, and then tap on “OK”.
    8.5 Refresh sources (it will probably do that by itself), and then install Anysim 1.21u, but DON’T RUN IT YET. To install it, tap on “Install” at the bottom of the screen, then tap on the “FrenchiPhone.com” folder, then tap on “anySIM 1.21u” (not the other version!), and then tap on the “Install” button at the top of the screen.
    8.6 Reboot the iPhone (that means turn it off and then back on again - right off, not just sleep).
    8.7 Go to Settings and turn on the AIRPLANE mode (this is very important. If you forget it your phone will get stuck in a loop and you’ll have and go to beg W9cae for instructions on how to get it out.)
    8.8 Return to the Springboard and tap on the AnySIM icon to run anySIM 1.21u. It will take several minutes to do its thing, and it will tell you when it’s done.
    8.9 Your phone is now unlocked, but you are not yet finished.
    8.10 Go to Installer > Uninstall, and uninstall AnySIM 1.21u.

9. Install iWorld
    9.1 Turn Airplane mode off again.
    9.2 Go to installer and from “Tweaks (1.1.2)” install iWorld
    9.3 Return to the Springboard, tap on the iWorld icon and follow the prompts.
    9.4 Go to Installer > Uninstall, and uninstall iWorld.

10. You’re done... but...
    10.1 ... you’ll want to dock and sync you iphone, it should restore from backup your settings.
    10.2 ... you can go back to to Settings > General > Auto Lock, and set to something other than “Never”.
    10.3 ... you’ll want to verify that everything is working, calls, SMSs, emails
    10.4 ... you’ll want to check that YouTube is working. If not, go to Installer and install “YouTube Activation” which is found in the “Unlocking Tools” category. If it is not there, you will have to first add the source http://i.unlock.no (see 8.4 above if you need help on adding a source).
    10.5 ... you’ll want to check that your EDGE settings remain. They did for me, but if they don’t, download the EDGE settings fix from installer (Unlocking Tools).
    10.6 ... if you took the safe option of uninstalling any third party applications, you’ll want to reinstall them now.
    10.7 ... you’ll want to program your voicemail button. Open the phone dial pad and tap the following code: *5005*86*xxx# where xxx is your phone company’s voicemail number. Then tap call and after a second, the code will have been set.
    10.8 ... you might want to move the .ipsw file which you downloaded in step 3.1 to the “iPhone Software Updates” folder, which on an OSX Mac is found in “User”/Library/iTunes. The 1.1.2 file which you downloaded in step 6.2 will have gone there automatically, and you might as well store them both in the same place in case a “restore” becomes necessary in the future.

Ok whats going on here I just posted an updated guide from FW 1.0.2 to FW 1.1.2 So folks still down on the older FW can get up to speed. Also this guide accomidated folks who have used anySIM 1.0 or Unlock.

Now its gone ? Now its back strange !
    Last edited by w9cae; 2007-11-30 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-30 08:51 PM
    baby steps worked perfectly!! i love my 1.1.2!! thank you all for all your hard work!! *cheers
    2007-11-30 09:40 PM
    Hi,

In principle, the jailbreaks so far have been great and this is no different. However, it's certainly not simple from my end - please see my thread and help if you can - I'm completely stuck on why I can't get my phone unlocked:

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Many thanks.
    2007-11-30 10:48 PM
    Do you need to have itune 7.5 for this to happen?
    2007-12-01 01:25 AM
    iTunes 7.5 is required for FW 1.1.2

In regard to the other question about jailbreak. If OktoPrep is not installed correctly then the jailbreak process will not start.
    Last edited by w9cae; 2007-12-01 at 01:49 AM.
    2007-12-01 01:46 AM
    Well how do you know if OktoPrep is installed correctly before starting the jailbreak process?
    2007-12-01 02:13 AM
    Well how do you know if OktoPrep is installed correctly before starting the jailbreak process?

When OktoPrep installs in installer on FW 1.1.1 properly it gives you a message OK to upgrade to FW 1.1.2
    2007-12-01 02:27 AM
    When OktoPrep installs in installer on FW 1.1.1 properly it gives you a message OK to upgrade to FW 1.1.2
    Hi,

I had this, but jailbreak.jar wouldn't launch. The only way I could get it to launch was via the Terminal using a sudo command. Then it failed saying Oktoprep wasn't installed. Still can't figure this out. Might have to start from scratch.
    2007-12-01 02:35 AM
    Hi,

I had this, but jailbreak.jar wouldn't launch. The only way I could get it to launch was via the Terminal using a sudo command. Then it failed saying Oktoprep wasn't installed. Still can't figure this out. Might have to start from scratch.

Re flash you phone back to FW 1.1.1 then jailbreakme.com then install OktoPrep

Then upgrade to FW 1.1.2 you post has answerd you problem

Without OktoPrep you can't jailbreak / activate FW 1.1.2 and the jailbreak process will not run.
    2007-12-01 02:49 AM
    Mods, this should definitely be a sticky...I was 1.0.2 OTB then 1.1.1 now 1.1.2 and I was done under 30 mins if not sooner. Thanks a bunch...up on 1.1.2 and loving it...Patience pays off...!
    2007-12-01 03:58 AM
    I can confirm too, this works 100%, just remember to download the last version of java: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) v1.6 (update 3) on www.java.com
    2007-12-01 05:38 AM
    Can someone tell me if I'm safe to run this on my iPhone? I bought it off eBay, received it today (unlocked and jailbroken).

I could leave it as is, but it looks like it's running an older version of installer (the one on my iPod Touch looks different) plus I can't install SummerBoard (V3.0b1) (it says I need to be on 1.1.1 - it won't let me install the older one (V2.11) either, saying I need to be on 1.0.x??).

I think it's an American bought iPhone (it's got AT&T on the box), these are what's listed under the about screen:

Version : 1.1.1 (3A109a)
    Model : MA712LL

Any help would be really appreciated.
    2007-12-01 10:47 PM
    Nope - didn't work. Still stuck.
    2007-12-02 01:52 PM
    What version of Java do you have ? I read a post recently a bloke was having similar problem & he updated his java and the jailbreak software worked.
    2007-12-02 02:13 PM
    What happens if I try this out on a jailbroken only iphone? If i just run oktoprep then update 1.1.2 then jailbreak 1.1.2? Will that work?
    2007-12-10 08:45 PM
    Works perfectly if you are upgrading from a 1.1.1 unlocked iphone with anysim.

***MODMYIFONE ROCKS***
    2007-12-11 12:01 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD