User Tag List

Hi, I bought a US 1.1.2 out the box iphone last week which comes with the AT&T sim in.

I downgraded to 1.1.1 using a mac os lepoard, Jailbroke with independance. Went through the steps to update to 1.1.2 then jailbroke again.

Great I'd got a working Ipod touch! Working with ipod functions, Wifi, mail etc

But I did think I would be able to use O2 in the UK. As i had read loads of posts and from the few answers I had come accross I believed it possible to use an O2 sim in. As the process and bootloaders were the same on the US and euro phones. I assumed it the bypass and activation allowed me to use any DEFAULT carrier.

Should I of put an O2 sim in before jailbreaking etc?

If its possible to get the US iphone working on O2 can somone help me please? I anyone can confirm a successful use with a US iphone on O2 with the latest bootloader.

Advise me where I have gone wrong.

I have used two O2 business contract sims and still no joy.

Thanks Kevin
    2007-11-28 04:32 PM
    It's not possible
    2007-11-28 04:53 PM
    It's not possible
    As stated in many many threads before, you cannot unlock a OTB 1.1.2 iPhone, no matter where it comes from. (yet)
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2007-11-28 05:01 PM
    As stated in many many threads before, you cannot unlock a OTB 1.1.2 iPhone, no matter where it comes from. (yet)
    Hi, I know there is no software lock as of yet for 1.1.2 iphones. But you can bypass the activation for the iphone and say if its a euro iphone on with O2 sim you can downgrade to 1.1.1 jailbreak, update to 1.1.2 jailbreak and use a pay as you go or contract O2 sim.

What im trying to find out if its possible to do the same with the US phone and use ANY DEFAULT carrier.

Kevin
    2007-11-28 06:13 PM
    Hi, I know there is no software lock as of yet for 1.1.2 iphones. But you can bypass the activation for the iphone and say if its a euro iphone on with O2 sim you can downgrade to 1.1.1 jailbreak, update to 1.1.2 jailbreak and use a pay as you go or contract O2 sim.

What im trying to find out if its possible to do the same with the US phone and use ANY DEFAULT carrier.

Kevin
    Not sure if you're confusing jailbreaking (making the phone filesystem read/write) with unlocking (allowing the phone to be used with other carriers).

If you buy a 1.1.2 phone in the UK for instance, it can be used with O2 only, and whether it's jailbroken or not, cannot be used with any other carrier. The same goes for US 1.1.2 phones, which can only be used with AT&T.

Yes, you can downgrade a 1.1.2 to 1.1.1, install OKtoPrep, then Update back to 1.1.2 and jailbreak so you can install third party stuff on it. But use any default carrier? No.
    2007-11-28 06:23 PM
    Use the paid Unlocking solution IPSF v1.8 (if you'd like to spend some $$$) or else wait for the next anySIM for v1.1.2 compatible with the new bootloader.
    2007-11-28 07:41 PM
    I know there is no software unlock for the 1.1.2 iphone and latest bootloader. What i wanted to know like everyone is doing in the uk bypassing the activation and using normal O2 sims pay-as-you go or contract.

With this bypass I asumed that this will bypass all the DEFAULT carriers. So UK O2 bypass to O2, Germany Tmobile to Tmobile etc

So does this bypass all the default carriers or can I bypass the at&t iphone and use an O2 sim?

Kevin
    2007-11-28 08:14 PM
    I know there is no software unlock for the 1.1.2 iphone and latest bootloader. What i wanted to know like everyone is doing in the uk bypassing the activation and using normal O2 sims pay-as-you go or contract.

With this bypass I asumed that this will bypass all the DEFAULT carriers. So UK O2 bypass to O2, Germany Tmobile to Tmobile etc

So does this bypass all the default carriers or can I bypass the at&t iphone and use an O2 sim?

Kevin
    Nope, not possible. It's pretty much the same as unlocking. Each wireless provider carries its own SIM, with associated SIM code. For instance, you couldn't take a US T-mobile SIM and put it in a German T-Mobile iPhone.
    2007-11-28 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD