Last time I jailbroke (not unlocked) my iPhone was for 1.1.2. The instructions after that just looked confusing and features didn't look like they were worth the trouble, but now I'm thinking I'd like to go up to 1.1.4.

So as far as I can gather, I should download the 1.1.4 update from somewhere (didn't look where yet) then Restore the phone and tell iTunes where this file is. Will this restore leave all of my files like music and photos intact?

Should I go with iLiberty for just jailbreaking? The comments on it do not inspire much confidence. What about Ziphone?

Finally, should I even bother now or just wait for the 2.0 update to come out and hope it gets jailbroken quickly?
    Phil Nolan
    Modeler / Animator
    High 5 Productions
    2008-06-10 08:52 PM
    Well, If you're a patient person, I'd say wait till 2.0. If not, use WinPwn to do a restore-update-jailbreak.
    2008-06-10 09:14 PM
    Well, If you're a patient person, I'd say wait till 2.0. If not, use WinPwn to do a restore-update-jailbreak.
    Thats as correct as you can get. I would wait on update because you will be jailbreaking it again in a month or so. But i would backup all music, movies, photos and contacts because when you restore it will mess up the jailbreak. You can not just update and keep the jailbreak intact.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 2008-06-10 at 10:16 PM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!
    2008-06-10 10:11 PM
    Thanks guys. Also I was wondering about something. With the new SDK and update will it even be necessary to jailbreak? Wouldn't you be able to make apps the legit way and port the old ones over? I don't know anything about programing or the SDK, but it seems that way. Plus according to Jobs' keynote there will be a way for apps to be made and not necessarily downloaded through the phone or iTunes.
    Phil Nolan
    Modeler / Animator
    High 5 Productions
    2008-06-10 11:04 PM
    can anyone help? I just got a Iphone in Jan. was just told about the jail breaking program installer, I can get games and wall papers off them fine but when it comes to themes I can't. It downloads. I can even view it in my uninstall option in installer, but it won't change my theme, I still have the black background, I'm going crazy trying to figure this out what am I doing wrong??
    2008-06-11 12:12 AM
    can anyone help? I just got a Iphone in Jan. was just told about the jail breaking program installer, I can get games and wall papers off them fine but when it comes to themes I can't. It downloads. I can even view it in my uninstall option in installer, but it won't change my theme, I still have the black background, I'm going crazy trying to figure this out what am I doing wrong??
    Try these steps in order. I'm here to help.

1. Read around the forums a bit before posting.

2. If you can't find the answer to your question, then read some more.

3. If you still can't, then open YOUR OWN thread in the APPROPIATE forum.

4. I suggest making a little more sense in your posts. Maybe explaining things just a little bit more in detail.

I really hope this helps you out. I am not trying to be rude but you hi-jacked someone's thread and you were way off topic. If you were to read a little bit then you would have your issue all straightened out by now.
    "Count your blessings. Make your blessings count!"

Is that an iPhone in your pocket?
    2008-06-11 09:37 AM
    I'm also in a very similar situation to the OP. Except that I'm on v1.1.1, and jailbroken via the old jailbreakme.com website (IIRC).

I've been thinking and searching (yes!) about updating to 1.1.4....mainly because of the newer installer apps written to 1.1.4.

To start the process via iTunes, and first get my iPhone to 1.1.4.....is it better to 'update' or 'restore'? This is one thing I can't seem to nail in my searching.

I've read the 1.1.4 Unlock/Jailbreak OS X process several times, so probably won't have any issues there.

FWIW, 1.1.1 and jailbroken is still very usable for me, save for a couple of new apps in installer I'd like to try. I'm one of those who will 'watch the fallout' for a while on 2.0 before updating. Any big reason to stay on 1.1.1?
    2008-06-11 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD