what on earth is error 1012 ??? a friend of mine bricked his iphone when he "upgraded" to v2.0... the screen showed a lot of phrases scrollig up and then blocking and itunes couldn't recognise the phone.i managed to set it in recovery mode but after trying to restore the firmware (both 1.1.3 and 1.1.4) i got the message "impossible to install firmware error 1012". then i used ziphone 3.0 and then it looked as of it was fixed but soon the joy was gone as another message appeared saying it can not make or receive calls. in itunes it is recognised but the summary page says there is no sim card. wifi and bluetooth are n/a . can i do anything or does it need a repair(hardware) ?
    2008-06-19 01:57 AM
    You need to try a DFU restore:

1. Connect to your computer, hold the power and home buttons down (the iphone will power off after about 10 seconds, but keep holding both buttons down)
    2. As soon as the iPhone powers off, (black screen) release the power button (but keep holding the home button down). (If you see the apple logo or connect to itunes logo you are not in DFU mode so try it again)
    3. After about 20 seconds or so, Itunes should see your iphone. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPhone is in DFU mode.
    Now iTunes should ask you to restore its firmware.

Restore to 1.1.4 and jailbreak with iliberty+
    2008-06-19 02:39 AM
    Thanks for the tip but it didn't work.I tried both on a Mac and a Pc and the problem was the same: itunes could not restore the firmware (error 1012 again). The only progress i get is when i do unlock and jailbrake, either with ziphone or iliberty+, because then i get a "normal" home screen, the use of all apps but no phone and it shows "Reppair needed".
    Another issue is the sound or lack of it since music tracks can only be heard through headphones and the videos will play only if the headphones are plugged in. The owner sayed that he only did the upgrade to 2.0 but i'm gessing he screwed the hardware and he won't admit it. I've done upgrades and restores in my personal iphone and my wife's too and no problem yet. If you think of something else that might help i thank you in advance.
    2008-06-20 03:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD