User Tag List

I just keep getting "failed to enter DFU mode" adn then there is a picture with like a cat and stuff with a bunch of fingers pointing at differnt things saying "U Fail! U Wantget Zune? Or Wut?"

someone please help me i have no idea what im doing... I've been reading everywhere
    2008-07-21 09:54 AM
    You have to leave it plugged in to the usb, and then power it off. Once it turns off, at the same time hold the home button and the sleep button together and count to 10, once u get to 10 only release the sleep button at the top of the phone, and continue to hold the home button until the computer beeps and lets u know it recognized it, then let go, ur screen should never come on.
    2008-07-21 12:11 PM
    The Pwnage tool requires a folder in the iTunes Library to place a file in. If it cannot find this folder it will error as you saw "will not DFU".

Simply go to finder - go to your computer name "your name normally" and create a floder in /Library/iTunes/ called Device Support (with a space)

~/Library/iTunes/Device Support

Restart the tool and it will work 100%.

I had the same problem and this worked immediately.
    2008-07-21 02:29 PM
    Even with the folder created, which is done automatically I think with the new release 2.01, it is still difficult to get the phone into DFU using the pwnage instructions. I actually found the pwnage instructions unhelpful because it keep telling you it has failed and you keep trying even when iTunes sees the phone in DFU.

In my opinion the GUI could be hugely improved by either kicking the phone into DFU on request (as ZiPhone does) or removing all DFU cartoon actions.

If you are having trouble once the custom firmware is created and you ahve reached the point where pwnage is pissing you off with "You failed to reach DFU" or whatever it says then simply minimise/close it.

Then open iTunes
    Plug in phone
    Make sure phone is on
    When Phone shows up in iTunes disconnect it
    Then hold both buttons on phone
    When screen goes black let go of top button and keep holding the home button.
    keep holding......keep holding....keep holding
    Until message in iTunes says you ahve entered Recovery mode.
    Check phone screen is still black.

Bingo, now alt Restore to your custom firmware and you are good to go. Absolutely no need to achieve the Success message in pwnage first.
    2008-07-21 02:42 PM
    Okay thanks for all the responses but at what point do i connect the phone throughout this process?
    2008-07-21 10:50 PM
    tp enter DFU mode i did this..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk&feature=user]YouTube - How to put your iPhone in DFU mode[/ame]
    2008-07-27 05:32 AM
    ok so how i do it is:
    first i have the phone on

then i hold power and home button together

when the screen goes black i keep holding them for 2 seconds

then after windows makes a noise about it being disconnected i let go of the pwr button

and keep holding the home button for as long as it it takes.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS TO TIME WHEN TO LET GO OF THE POWER BUTTON.
    K BAI
    2008-07-27 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD