Right, I'm hoping some ppl can clarify the turbosim situation because I'm reading posts on here and hackint0sh about it saying unsupported sim, however until my 1.1.2 was jailbroken iTunes said that to me anyway. Also I hear ppl saying upgraded, ts doesn't work now waiting jailbreak. Again, until I had jailbroken and hacktivated there was no signal etc. So has anyone with a legit activated 1.1.3 tested turbosim?

About a week ago I had to restore & re jailbreak, and in 1.1.1 I had no signal and it said "Turbo" under the time and iTunes said unsupported sim, it wasn't till I updated back to 1.1.2 that it got signal etc. Does applesaft write nething to the phone? I'm just thinking perhaps it needs to be rerun to work with 1.1.3.... Perhaps someone with an already activated 1.1.3 w/turbosim would test??
    2008-01-16 08:43 AM
    Turbosim wont work due to the new baseband, because Turbosim relied to work on a bug from the 1.1.2 baseband so for it to work with 1.1.3 will have to find a new lockdown file and patch it.

And before that DEVS need to activate/jailbreak 1.1.3.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..
    2008-01-16 08:51 AM
    thanks yowiphone... That makes sense now lol but in theory it may be possible soon?

If the lockdownd was found and patched is it likely it could work again?

I'm in the uk but got my phone when I was in NY... I use it on o2 payg a mate got me a cheap ts so I been using that, I'm just wondering if to sell it once a jailbreak has been discovered and get a uk iPhone lol (on the assumption that a payg wud work in jailbroken 1.1.3)

For now I will wait I'm in no rush but I was just curious.

Could it be possible that after jailbreaking a working ts solution may be found way before an unlock ( I'm assuming unlock ain't gonna happen, at least for not for aloooooong while lol)
    2008-01-16 09:03 AM
    Turbosim wont work due to the new baseband, because Turbosim relied to work on a bug from the 1.1.2 baseband so for it to work with 1.1.3 will have to find a new lockdown file and patch it.
    Not quite right I think. Turbosim works fine and always has. Probably also works in 1.1.3 *except* you won't be able to use it. The reason is that the turbosim tricks the baseband subsystem of the phone into accepting your sim card, but the 2nd part is that your phone OS needs to be activated. This is normally done via iTunes. But with Turbosim, you skip iTunes activation. Therefore, you must, use a patched lockdownd file or run iasign. That requires that 1.1.3 is jailbroken and a patched lockdownd is discovered for 1.1.3. So, bottom line: You cannot use your turbosim until there is a jailbreak for 1.1.3. And no one knows if that will ever happen or if so, when.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.
    2008-01-16 02:41 PM
    Not quite right I think. Turbosim works fine and always has. Probably also works in 1.1.3 *except* you won't be able to use it. The reason is that the turbosim tricks the baseband subsystem of the phone into accepting your sim card, but the 2nd part is that your phone OS needs to be activated. This is normally done via iTunes. But with Turbosim, you skip iTunes activation. Therefore, you must, use a patched lockdownd file or run iasign. That requires that 1.1.3 is jailbroken and a patched lockdownd is discovered for 1.1.3. So, bottom line: You cannot use your turbosim until there is a jailbreak for 1.1.3. And no one knows if that will ever happen or if so, when.
    Thanks bigboss.... this is what i was thinking. So, the jailbreak systems currently, they patch the lockdownd file in the process i assume... i only ask coz i never patched anything manually and didnt use iAsign so i can only presume its part of the process?
    2008-01-16 03:07 PM
    ok, ive bumped this simply because im lost again lol
    im getting different answers from various respectable sources...

So,

1) Does TurboSim exploit a bug in the baseband?
    1a) if so, do hypersim and the other "turbosim" based ideas use the same exploit?? eg if turbosim wont work neither will any of the others - be it hypersim, stealthsim or whatever

2) if its not based on a bug as such, is the theory that, IF the phone IS jailbroken, activated and the lockdownd file patched (norm happens during jailbreak / activate) ... would it possibly work?

3) if TurboSim will not work regardless, what about the hypersims etc? how do they work?

Sorry for the 1's and bump but im really trying to clarify
    Way too many contradicting posts & rumours lol. (other forums too, not aimed at MMi lol)
    2008-01-17 05:39 PM
    ok, ive bumped this simply because im lost again lol
    im getting different answers from various respectable sources...

So,

1) Does TurboSim exploit a bug in the baseband?
    1a) if so, do hypersim and the other "turbosim" based ideas use the same exploit?? eg if turbosim wont work neither will any of the others - be it hypersim, stealthsim or whatever

2) if its not based on a bug as such, is the theory that, IF the phone IS jailbroken, activated and the lockdownd file patched (norm happens during jailbreak / activate) ... would it possibly work?

3) if TurboSim will not work regardless, what about the hypersims etc? how do they work?

Sorry for the 1's and bump but im really trying to clarify
    Way too many contradicting posts & rumours lol. (other forums too, not aimed at MMi lol)
    For the love of God man! What do you give a sh!t if it exploits this or that?
    Bottom line is this......TurboSim, StealthSim, AnySim, DickSim.....none of these will work until there is a jailbreak for 1.1.3. Then and only then will anyone know if they work or not. All you can do now is READ and wait for anyone of a number of people that have made our iphone experience possible (and thanks to all of you for that) to come up with a jailbreak solution.
    2008-01-17 06:55 PM
    For the love of God man! What do you give a sh!t if it exploits this or that?
    Bottom line is this......TurboSim, StealthSim, AnySim, DickSim.....none of these will work until there is a jailbreak for 1.1.3. Then and only then will anyone know if they work or not. All you can do now is READ and wait for anyone of a number of people that have made our iphone experience possible (and thanks to all of you for that) to come up with a jailbreak solution.
    mrkay - there's no need to be so rude, grow up!

i give a sh!t because im curious how it works and if it exploits or not, i would like to know for my personal knowledge & im entitled to that.

granted, my 1st post did question 1.1.3, but my previous questions were more related to how it works then if or when it will work or be available. may be i should have worded the questions slightly different, i just wanted to know how they worked, and the theory behind it, so the way it was aimed at 1.1.3 was not that i was looking for an answer but i was trying to follow the theory through in my head on how it would be affected by 1.1.3 as a new task.

i have been reading - and there are many contradictory posts

my questions were based on theorys, i wasnt asking if or when a jailbreak will happen, i simply wanted to get my head around the idea of patching the lockdownd file & how it works with turbosim etc, my 3rd question was simply asking if hypersim etc use the same base as turbosim

Perhaps i should have started a new thread so that people like you didnt jump in and take a swing like you clearly have.... however i thought it easier & better to bump an old thread which was kinda related.

Please dont mistake me for your average noob, i have been a DEV for many projects, just not for apple products... hence why i asked these questions because id like to know how it works.

simple as.

before anyone else replies.....i dont care right now if it will or wont work on 1.1.3, im questioning how it works and the theory behind it. and how patching the lockdownd file affects the TurboSim

J
    2008-01-17 08:39 PM
    i give a sh!t because im curious how it works and if it exploits or not, i would like to know for my personal knowledge & im entitled to that.
    TurboSIM doesn't exploit anything on the iPhone. These ***SIM's do one thing and one thing only. Using CCID trickery, they fool the phone into thinking your SIM is in fact an AT&T SIM, when its not. This way, the iPhone thinks its using an "approved" SIM and lets you use it without any grief. No need for unlocking.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-01-17 10:31 PM
    Thankyou Eurisko, much appreciated
    2008-01-19 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD