So locateme wasn't working for me on googlemaps, which is the main reason I updated to 1.1.3 This was a bummer, but everyone else seemed to have the same issue. people were claiming that it was the modem firmware that was messing things up. As I have said before many times, I am not a coder, but I have become pretty good at coding THEORY in that I can pretty well tell if something can/can't be done through coding and how difficult it is. That being said, the locateme function can't be restricted by firmware, unless the program itself is checking for a firmware and not allowing this feature to work without it. I suspect this is the case, because there is an easy fix. yes there is a little bit more work involved each time you use the feature, but it's not enough to bother me at least.

(Browsing around others have found this "fix" as well, but there is no specific thread for it so I decided to make one. I came up with this myself, although, like i said others have as well so I am not trying to take credit from anyone else.)

1. Download locateme application from installer
    2. Run locate me, safari will popup
    3. As soon as you see google maps load (this is the WEBSITE version of google maps loaded in SAFARI not the "maps" app), you can hit your home button and load the maps app
    4. Click on locate me (little crosshair on the bottom left)
    5. Enjoy your locatme function working in the google maps app.

All of this took me about 2 seconds more time to load than JUST google maps itself. To me, this is not much time at all, especially since I would be using the locateme function pretty much only if I am ever lost.

It would seem that the "location" data is just stored on the phone somewhere and googlemaps app is able to use this data once it is there. It is interesting that apple took this step to try and foil our plans at using the app (apparently they anticipated this being the main reason for people to want to update). If I am right in saying that the only reason the locate function doesn't work directly from the native app, it is doubtful that it will EVER work due to the fact that the app itself will have to be hacked.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-01-27 12:15 AM
    Not realizing this is exactly what I had done before reading this... this is truly some good news for others.

I thought mine just happend to be working on my device until I read this.

Good Shyt!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)
    2008-01-30 03:49 AM
    Only problem is if you restart your phone it wont work anymore and you have to run Locateme again.
    2008-01-30 05:18 AM
    Only problem is if you restart your phone it wont work anymore and you have to run Locateme again.
    2008-01-30 05:25 AM
    hey i just update to 1.1.3 my google map only locates me if i put my phone onto airplane mode then go 2 google map then it tells me to turn airplane mode off then it locates me...
    2008-01-30 05:29 AM
    hey i just update to 1.1.3 my google map only locates me if i put my phone onto airplane mode then go 2 google map then it tells me to turn airplane mode off then it locates me...
    never heard of anything lke that before
    2008-01-30 05:57 AM
    i know its werid lol but works for me ,have u tryed it yet?
    2008-01-30 06:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD